Where to Get Truck Driving Training to Pass the Pre-Hire Driving Test (Albany, NY)

Kimmar

A family member of mine really wants to be a UPS driver. He applied and sailed thru the interview, background check, etc but hit a snag with the driving test. He had had no experience at all driving a standard but did practice on a friend's standard truck for a few days before the test. He had been told by a UPS driver that the test would be very easy — he'd only have to do basic maneuvers and not go out on the road at all.

Unfortunately, the day of his test he was told by his test instructor that they needed to deliver a package some 20 miles away — which meant driving on local roads plus a major interstate. Bottom line is he failed the test and was told he could take it again in 6 months.

He still wants that driver's job but needs to find someone who can train him, preferably, on a UPS truck, so he can master the standard transmission and pass his next test. Do you know of anyone in the Albany, NY area who is qualified and available to provide that training?

jr32bad

Try local driving school he just needs to learn how to drive a stick shift
Truck driving schools aren't cheap

Turdferguson

Just a turd
A family member of mine really wants to be a UPS driver. He applied and sailed thru the interview, background check, etc but hit a snag with the driving test. He had had no experience at all driving a standard but did practice on a friend's standard truck for a few days before the test. He had been told by a UPS driver that the test would be very easy — he'd only have to do basic maneuvers and not go out on the road at all.

Unfortunately, the day of his test he was told by his test instructor that they needed to deliver a package some 20 miles away — which meant driving on local roads plus a major interstate. Bottom line is he failed the test and was told he could take it again in 6 months.

He still wants that driver's job but needs to find someone who can train him, preferably, on a UPS truck, so he can master the standard transmission and pass his next test. Do you know of anyone in the Albany, NY area who is qualified and available to provide that training?

He had to deliver a package during his on road test?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

I'll train ya

For the right price

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Was he on the Northway?

Sounds like it may have been a left in building.

Kimmar

I don't think it was a regular UPS package - it was something else. The questions are 1) Is it normal to have to go out on the roads during a driver's test?, and 2) Do you know anyone who would be willing to train him on a truck with standard transmission?
Thanks.

dookie stain

Cornfed whiteboy
I don't think it was a regular UPS package - it was something else. The questions are 1) Is it normal to have to go out on the roads during a driver's test?, and 2) Do you know anyone who would be willing to train him on a truck with standard transmission?
Thanks.
Yea it's normal to go out on the road..usually 45-60 minutes. I went in a few Saturday's in a row before my test and they let me drive around the yard. I believe most centers will let you do this.

Kimmar

I'm filing a grievance.
Please, guys, this was not a regular package, and I would greatly appreciate your not taking this to authorities. He was just a job applicant, and I'm sure whatever was done was kosher. I would be heartbroken if sharing this got anyone in trouble - I was only trying to help a loved one find a way to learn to drive a standard truck...

Kimmar

Yea it's normal to go out on the road..usually 45-60 minutes. I went in a few Saturday's in a row before my test and they let me drive around the yard. I believe most centers will let you do this.

Thank you very much for this feedback. Do you know anyone in the Albany area who could train him, Dookie?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Please, guys, this was not a regular package, and I would greatly appreciate your not taking this to authorities. He was just a job applicant, and I'm sure whatever was done was kosher. I would be heartbroken if sharing this got anyone in trouble - I was only trying to help a loved one find a way to learn to drive a standard truck...

Authorities have been notified
Not looking good

P

pickup

The above reads like a Nigerian email scam.