While unloading this morning, I heard the 10 step top out is now a 12 step top out

Star B

White Lightening
Well, then I just become 11 "steps" dumber and slower. By the 4th year if you dont have this job down pat, you shouldn't still be around.

!Retired!

I knew this would happen. I was on step 9. Another couple years till I top out.
I'd rather get bumped up 3% per year than be topped out, I'll make more that way.
So who did you hear that from? Coworker? Senior Manager?
The little sparrow that flew into the station.
Well, then I just become 11 "steps" dumber and slower. By the 4th year if you dont have this job down pat, you shouldn't still be around.
4 years? Lol....now that's funny.

Oldfart

I'd rather get bumped up 3% per year than be topped out, I'll make more that way.

The little sparrow that flew into the station.

4 years? Lol....now that's funny.
If you are topped out and make more than the person getting 3% raises, wouldn't you make more by being topped out?

!Retired!

If you are topped out and make more than the person getting 3% raises, wouldn't you make more by being topped out?
A 3% raise from my current rate, based on a 40 hour week comes out to almost $1700 for the year.....and that's assuming NO overtime. I doubt topped out's 3% lump sum comes out to more. Even if it does, it's not by much.

That's assuming 3%. I forgot a bump in step is 5%, which works out even better.

Oldfart

A 3% raise from my current rate, based on a 40 hour week comes out to almost $1700 for the year.....and that's assuming NO overtime. I doubt topped out's 3% lump sum comes out to more. Even if it does, it's not by much.

That's assuming 3%. I forgot a bump in step is 5%, which works out even better.
Your assuming topped out will ONLY get lump sums from here on out. That can't be because eventually step 9 and 10 will be making the same amount or 9 will pass step 10. This year they gave topped out a lump sum. I doubt that trend will continue.

My lump sum was a little over $1100 each time and I worked very little OT. It worked out good for me since I just went part time. A raise would not have benefited me as much.

Last edited:

vantexan

Your assuming topped out will ONLY get lump sums from here on out. That can't be because eventually step 9 and 10 will be making the same amount or 9 will pass step 10. This year they gave topped out a lump sum. I doubt that trend will continue.

My lump sum was a little over $1100 each time and I worked very little OT. It worked out good for me since I just went part time. A raise would not have benefited me as much.
I'm betting everyone will top out at step 10 and then from there on you may or may not get a bonus based on what the economy is doing.

SmithBarney

I'm betting everyone will top out at step 10 and then from there on you may or may not get a bonus based on what the economy is doing.

They'll still keep sliding the scale up all 10steps moving upward slightly each year, otherwise they'll get outpaced by prevailing wages. because in 15yrs you won't be competitive if you still have the same wages...

I fully support a bonus system, we'd probably be able to trim 15-20% of our routes off road if routes actually went out fully optimized.

Problem is there are 12-15yr employees that are at step 3-4 roughly with 2-3 year employees one step behind them...

Oldfart

EVERYONE gets a raise except topped out? So people on step 2 will eventually top out and during that period, topped out gets nothing, maybe a lump sum. Highly doubtful.

dex 84

They'll still keep sliding the scale up all 10steps moving upward slightly each year, otherwise they'll get outpaced by prevailing wages. because in 15yrs you won't be competitive if you still have the same wages...

I fully support a bonus system, we'd probably be able to trim 15-20% of our routes off road if routes actually went out fully optimized.

Problem is there are 12-15yr employees that are at step 3-4 roughly with 2-3 year employees one step behind them...

4 year employee on step 5 right here. They took care of the swing drivers when they went to the step system.

Oldfart

What did step 10 get this year?
Things were different this year because raises were given 6 months early. You arent naive enough to think from this point on topped out will ONLY get a lump sum. Step 2 is 8 years from topping out and for the next 8 years topped out will only get lump sums? What about the fact that if step 9 gets multiple raises and step 10 gets none, step 9 will soon pass step 10. You might want to get a 5th grader to explain the math to you.

SmithBarney

4 year employee on step 5 right here. They took care of the swing drivers when they went to the step system.
How so, if a Step 5 Courier becomes a Swing, they are at step 5 as a swing(on the swing chart)
I know a 13yr swing(wasn't swing the whole time) but is step 4 and there are 2yr swings behind her at step 3, kinda a huge slap in the face. We've lost 3 Swings this year(left the company) and probably 8 regular couriers(many with 10+ years) mostly for greener pasture$