Who else works in a "good" center?

scisector9

I read a whole lot of negative horror stories on the BC. These range from harassment and unwarranted discipline, consistent 11 hour days, a lack of respect for drivers and employees in general etc etc. I must be one of the lucky ones on here that work at a "good" center.

Don't get me wrong its not all sunshine and fare ways but overall my experience at my center has not been awful. 9.5 list is honored and rarely violated, drivers are not written up and or fired frequently (generally just when needed crashes, consistent service issues etc) and dispatch, although idiotic at times, isn't awful. Besides the few routes with the late pick ups I would say our average in building time is around 1800 with a 830 start time.

Yes management can bust your balls and yes we don't get an "atta boy" ever, and yea they except near impossible compliance in orion, telematics and service but its not really that bad. Do your job and try your best and you are fine. I generally just interact with mgmt in the am to find out what route I'm running if they don't have a schedule posted as I am a cover driver.

I'm sure this varies from center to center. Maybe its a size thing as our hub only streets between 45-50 routes. Guess I'm a "lucky" one.

Cheers

Sent using BrownCafe App

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
The guy over package here is a racist :censored2:. He thinks he is hot :censored2: and wears expensive suits every day even when it's 100+. All the package car guys are scrambling to go combo/full time, as for every thing else at the building everyone is pretty cool. All the managers are pretty laid back. I have been told our hub is like a wild west show. Which going to other hubs I kind of agree, we are not organized at all and everyone does what they want however we get the job done. It's just package that is a pain in the ass. Which honestly it shouldn't be. I never really understood that dynamic. You come in and are treated decent, load your trucks go home, get a promotion to package and are treated like a piece of garbage, get promoted to feeders and are treated decent again.

upschuck

I have worked under many center manager's, and the one I presently work under is one of the better ones. He is fair to his underlings, and that is all we can ask. I have worked under many different types of center manager's, one that even said that I would not be working for UPS anymore(told to OMS), because I ran out of hours one day, and couldn't help somebody. He was gone(demoted) shortly after.

Main sentiment I would like to convey is that managers generally change every couple years, so enjoy the good ones, and bear through the bad ones.

PT Car Washer

I believe our building has a well ran Center management team. As long as you don't count the Preload manager. Tries to run the preload like a concentration camp. Treats the Art 22.3's terrible because they can not do anything about their situation. Same with his PT sups. Great for the double shifters working almost everyday. Great for Air drivers running misloads everyday.

Future

Victory Ride
I have been a driver for 25yrs.....never had a big issue with any of them....have gotten warning letters for petty crapola, but who cares.Stick to the book as close as possible, work hard everyday, TAKE YOUR BREAKS. "A honest days pay..for a honest day of work"....Follow these simple statements and Mgt should never bother you!

Go Brown Or Go Home!

So far ive had good luck at my center. The sups,dare I say it, are alright in my book. Now, the lady next to me absolutely cannot stand one of the sups but she cant stand me either! Feelings mutual!

sent using smoke signals

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
I have worked under many center manager's, and the one I presently work under is one of the better ones. He is fair to his underlings, and that is all we can ask. I have worked under many different types of center manager's, one that even said that I would not be working for UPS anymore(told to OMS), because I ran out of hours one day, and couldn't help somebody. He was gone(demoted) shortly after.

Main sentiment I would like to convey is that managers generally change every couple years, so enjoy the good ones, and bear through the bad ones.
Not everybody has the skillset, mindset, communication skills to be a true leader, its as simple as that. To be a good manger or supe or whatever you have to be a superstar. Either you got what it takes to earn peoples respect or you don't.

watdaflock?

Only "problem" I see is them not running enough routes and trucks end up over loaded.
Darn near 400 packages with the isle loaded all the way to the ceiling is wrong.

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Worked at one of the worst UPS building in the country during my probation period (everybody in my local on here knows what building I'm talking about), no word other than "terrible" can describe my experience over there. I work in a much better building now, I actually like coming to work, even though the work is hard.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Two centers in our building. 2 totally differently run centers. I work in the better of the two. I've done tours in both so I know for sure mine is waaayyyyyy better.

PeasAndCarrots

Aside from sending annoying messages and having :censored2: dispatches a 2-3 days a week, I can't complain about my center. Being a cover driver, I REALLY can't complain because we've run 3-4 cover drivers a day since peak season. One or two of us will hit that new 156 report mark easily this year and I'll finally get to go full time. Woot woot

I have been a driver for 25yrs.....never had a big issue with any of them....have gotten warning letters for petty crapola, but who cares.Stick to the book as close as possible, work hard everyday, TAKE YOUR BREAKS. "A honest days pay..for a honest day of work"....Follow these simple statements and Mgt should never bother you!

From your Avatar pic, I'm thinking you're around the So. CALI area ?.....well that's where I'm at....but lets be honest...no center runs well, simple fact that mangmnt always finds a way to screw the :censored2: up...if it aint broke, dont fix it !!! Even if you think an on road sup is cool as hell, he will end up stabbing you in the back....lol...even if you do like you mentioned, fly under the radar....one way or another...they