Who gets the grievance money?

brownIEman

This needs to be addressed in the next contract. By intentionally short staffing a sort, then using that to supplement with management is morally wrong and should be contractually wrong.

???
I'm confused. Using Management to cover a short staffed operations IS contractually wrong. And makes the company liable to the tune of double time hours worked, either to someone who's work is being done or to the filer if that person cannot be identified. The whole process is designed to take away any financial incentive the company might otherwise have to do just what you are describing..

dillweed

Exactly - and it will only be effective if hourlies work as a team in filing the grievances.

Management seems quite good at dividing the people in my center. Preferential (sp) treatment runs rampant and it's so obvious. It seems to foster mistrust and resentment of co-workers.

Therefore, some people will file but may be looked down upon by the others who are not required to follow the rules set by company.

These are petty issues. Attendance, shoes, walking away from work area to get refreshments, music ear buds that only a couple people are allowed to wear. The coming in late, leaving early, whining for a particular position, being allowed to go to parking lot and into car to smoke at break. None of this affects my work or paycheck and I've learned to stay quiet and responsible for myself only.

However, when management does our work most of these people are not going to squeak. Don't know if this goes on in other buildings or not but I feel it must. I've always wondered if this is a UPS-taught tactic to divide the union and avoid group complaints.

menotyou

bella amicizia
???
I'm confused. Using Management to cover a short staffed operations IS contractually wrong. And makes the company liable to the tune of double time hours worked, either to someone who's work is being done or to the filer if that person cannot be identified. The whole process is designed to take away any financial incentive the company might otherwise have to do just what you are describing..
Then someone needs to be getting very rich.

brownIEman

Then someone needs to be getting very rich.

Well sure, if management is working that regularly, someone would just need to file and either an identified agrieved party or the filer themselves could be doing very well for themselves.

Still unclear what it is you want addressed in the next contract...?

steward71

brownIEman he is I think saying UPS needs to make sure the sorts are staffed to what is needed. Like have enough hourly workers to do the job and not have super sups working at all. He is saying it should be in the contract that Super sups can not short change a shift of the right number of people. If the sort calls for 70 people to work then have 70 not 60 and have 6 super sups working.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Exactly - and it will only be effective if hourlies work as a team in filing the grievances.

Management seems quite good at dividing the people in my center. Preferential (sp) treatment runs rampant and it's so obvious. It seems to foster mistrust and resentment of co-workers.

Therefore, some people will file but may be looked down upon by the others who are not required to follow the rules set by company.

These are petty issues. Attendance, shoes, walking away from work area to get refreshments, music ear buds that only a couple people are allowed to wear. The coming in late, leaving early, whining for a particular position, being allowed to go to parking lot and into car to smoke at break. None of this affects my work or paycheck and I've learned to stay quiet and responsible for myself only.

However, when management does our work most of these people are not going to squeak. Don't know if this goes on in other buildings or not but I feel it must. I've always wondered if this is a UPS-taught tactic to divide the union and avoid group complaints.

This is how management is trained. Perform bargaining unit work, divide and conq the hourlies, etc it goes on and on. There is no longer any integrity or good business with this company anymore, the past two to three years have been eye-opening for me personally.

All I see are hourlies making special deals with mgmt and leaving early, talking, taking breaks, doing basically whatever they please. We have hourlies that act as supervisors and tell other hourlies what to do. The union says "you don't have to listen" however that is not the point. These hourlies have walkie-talkies! and are clearly performing management duties, controlling hourlies.

It's just a bad place to work now adays for everyone and middle-upper management is mostly to blame.

dillweed

sleeve, I'm so grateful that you can relate. I was afraid my petty whining would bring on some super-slams.

Many drivers here who are not in the building and have different types of problems. In fact, I've spoken to many who said that's why they like to drive. Don't see the BS going on in the building.

Young man asked me yesterday how much $ I'd make off of my grievance. Don't even know how he found out, as I told no one I was doing it. Lots of secret conversations that need to be shared with all hourlies. Tried to discuss with him the importance of everyone filing but he just didn't get it. Told him one person filing isn't much of a slap but if several, or even all of us filed they might take note.

menotyou

bella amicizia
brownIEman he is I think saying UPS needs to make sure the sorts are staffed to what is needed. Like have enough hourly workers to do the job and not have super sups working at all. He is saying it should be in the contract that Super sups can not short change a shift of the right number of people. If the sort calls for 70 people to work then have 70 not 60 and have 6 super sups working.

What they are doing is saying the sort calls for 12. Then, the preload sup sends the DA person to help on the line, while she keeps DA running. On the other side of the line is the dispatcher "pulling" and "helping keep it safe"(can't turn off belt). So, in essence, it takes more than 12 to actually keep the sort going. If you grieve, you will be loading the hardest area with a additional truck for good measure.

For a few years, they really short-changed us. Another local must have filed on whatever IEman is referring to, as our local is filled with a bunch of buffoons.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
sleeve, I'm so grateful that you can relate. I was afraid my petty whining would bring on some super-slams.

Many drivers here who are not in the building and have different types of problems. In fact, I've spoken to many who said that's why they like to drive. Don't see the BS going on in the building.

Young man asked me yesterday how much $ I'd make off of my grievance. Don't even know how he found out, as I told no one I was doing it. Lots of secret conversations that need to be shared with all hourlies. Tried to discuss with him the importance of everyone filing but he just didn't get it. Told him one person filing isn't much of a slap but if several, or even all of us filed they might take note.

Wait for it, it still may be coming. For me or most others, your whining is not petty, it is serious and spot-on ! I just bid back outside to package car because of what is going on inside. Out of control does not even cover it.

One of our centers has signed a grievance petition to have FT management removed from duty, to give you an idea of the severity. I can't say anything more because we all know our management is all over this site. That pretty much says it all.

The secret conversations...aren't so secret here!

menotyou

bella amicizia
Wait for it, it still may be coming. For me or most others, your whining is not petty, it is serious and spot-on ! I just bid back outside to package car because of what is going on inside. Out of control does not even cover it.

One of our centers has signed a grievance petition to have FT management removed from duty, to give you an idea of the severity. I can't say anything more because we all know our management is all over this site. That pretty much says it all.

The secret conversations...aren't so secret here!
I would be surprised if you see more that in more centers as we near 2013.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Wow! I am doing horrible!!:surprised:

lol, I knew what you meant.

smile* show today for Mothers Day dels, can't wait to bank grievance hours

Also heard UPS lost one of the flower accounts - not sure which one, but it is because we would not deliver on Sundays. Of course management will probably be out there anyway.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

lol, I knew what you meant.

smile* show today for Mothers Day dels, can't wait to bank grievance hours

Also heard UPS lost one of the flower accounts - not sure which one, but it is because we would not deliver on Sundays. Of course management will probably be out there anyway.

We did lose one of the flower accounts for saying "no" to Sunday delivery. I was told we would have lost money on the deal and that FedEx may be doing the same. We will have no one on the streets on Sunday.

dillweed

What they are doing is saying the sort calls for 12. Then, the preload sup sends the DA person to help on the line, while she keeps DA running. On the other side of the line is the dispatcher "pulling" and "helping keep it safe"(can't turn off belt). So, in essence, it takes more than 12 to actually keep the sort going. If you grieve, you will be loading the hardest area with a additional truck for good measure.

menotyou - that's why I don't file insignificant grievances. A sup who spends a bit of time helping dig out a buried hourly isn't an issue. Any grievance I've ever filed has been obvious replacement of a union employee. If they want to put me in a harder area, so be it. I'll work safely, follow methods, maybe crash and burn. But as long as I keep my cool and do the best I can it's going to work out. Takes a lot of willpower, or maybe insanity to do it. Mabye we need a few more insane ones on the sort! Playing it safe never resulted in change.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Any grievance gets you treated like crap at out preload. Psycho Susie has one mission in life. To make everyone more miserable than she is. She feels it is her right to work when and where she likes. She hates the union, any union. I think her ex had something to do with unions. That and texting, but that is another story. She believes that her preload will run at her whim, to the detriment of her workers, her employer and, ultimately, our customers. She has arranged employees on that belt, not to promote production, to promote her happiness. The center manager had to come in one morning at 4am because the production was down and he couldn't figure out why. When she isn't there, we flew threw the sort. People placement. She wouldn't listen to his orders, so he had to come in and fix it himself. Why is she still there? She is the DM's and Labor Sup's spy into our building.
Any grievance I have filed was because I was forced to. Talking didn't work. My father was a BA and his father before. I take grievances VERY seriously.

Notcool

???

This is the problem at our hub. They have me in two heavy loads that get hit at the same time and I can't possibly do the 600pph that come down the belt. So my sup loads to help me out. I threaten to file and he says go ahead I'll give you the pen and paper. I mean dude doesn't care if he is filled on. Our hub refuses to get another loader even though we desperately need one

brownIEman

This is the problem at our hub. They have me in two heavy loads that get hit at the same time and I can't possibly do the 600pph that come down the belt. So my sup loads to help me out. I threaten to file and he says go ahead I'll give you the pen and paper. I mean dude doesn't care if he is filled on. Our hub refuses to get another loader even though we desperately need one

Then file. Your sup is likely not making the decision on how many to hire. And if on paper you have plenty of staffing so the management cannot justify hiring more, you may have an attendance problem on your sort and your sup may not be doing what he should be to hold people accountable to show up for work or be terminated. I see it all the time. Either way, as long as you are putting in an honest effort and giving your fair days work, I see no reason why you would not file and make some extra money and in the process remove the financial incentive the company has in letting your sup continue to do the work.