Why are futures turned on?

FedexVentura

Does anyone have a legitimate reason for Fedex wanting to have packages delivered before they are due? It makes no sense to have Fedex employees earning OT to give away free service. My station is trying to control payroll by having people start 30 minutes later than normal, but then pays everyone OT-daily!! It’s not a sound business practice, IMO.

El Morado Diablo

Our station has been taking out all Amazon packages no matter what day they are scheduled for delivery. According to our Sr Mgr, it's because some packages are being picked up after the cut-off times when packages are labeled for the following day. This means you have to deliver the package the day before the date on the label or you'll get hit with service failures.

Maybe the new Fedex Extra Hours service has something to do with it?

Oldfart

You roll over freight everyday and eventually it will bite you. We very seldom roll over next day freight. OT is just part of doing buisiness.

McFeely

Huge Member
All of our next day stuff gets scanned into a can, so we don't get them on the belt. Those scanning them into the can are supposed to look for the random pkgs that say TUES but really due MON and send those down the belt.

And still, pretty much every FT'er in my station gets OT daily.

DeliveryException

The only day we don't take everything out that comes in is on Monday. And that's mostly docs, i think most box freight stays at the ramp/hub. I mean we don't have cans sitting there full of Tuesday and Wednesday freight. Just one with a few that showed up.

FedexVentura

The only day we don't take everything out that comes in is on Monday. And that's mostly docs, i think most box freight stays at the ramp/hub. I mean we don't have cans sitting there full of Tuesday and Wednesday freight. Just one with a few that showed up.
That’s how it is at my station. I try to leave Mondays behind on Fridays, for obvious reasons. The futures thing doesn’t make sense to me, but what can I actually do about it? It’s almost reassuring it is happening in other stations, somehow.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Ironically they still run “Monday plan” while pushing all the freight down the belt on Monday.

That’s management’s idea of planning to make you successful.

Star B

White Lightening
We run next days when weather starts to look bad.

Me, I don't care. I'd rather take the next days out and just 41 them when I don't deliver them because I didn't drive anywhere near it while knocking 5 out that I did drive right next to. The wonders of being SRA

!Retired!

You roll over freight everyday and eventually it will bite you. We very seldom roll over next day freight. OT is just part of doing buisiness.
He's saying not take out next day due date, that's different than 'rolling freight over'
No one cares.
I care
Same here. We take out Saturday and Monday freight on Friday, but don't take out Tuesday and Wednesday on Monday. I'll barely get 6 hours on Monday, but 9-10 hours on Tuesday.

Oldfart

He's saying not take out next day due date, that's different than 'rolling freight over'

I care

Same here. We take out Saturday and Monday freight on Friday, but don't take out Tuesday and Wednesday on Monday. I'll barely get 6 hours on Monday, but 9-10 hours on Tuesday.
If you don't deliver Tue freight on Monday, how is that different than rolling freight over? That's what our station calls it. Might be a different terminology at other stations.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
If you don't deliver Tue freight on Monday, how is that different than rolling freight over? That's what our station calls it. Might be a different terminology at other stations.
Rolling freight over is like if late freight comes in in the afternoon and it’s “rolled over” to be delivered the next day.

!Retired!

I've always known 'rolling freight' to mean freight due that day you don't take out.

Oldfart

We don't roll over freight due that day. We deliver it, no matter what. PM, AM going back out, whatever. Some roll over freight due tomorrow or the day after that. I didn't but others do.