Why are futures turned on?

Oldfart

Some people call freight P1, others PO. Some people call document sort buckets BUCKETS, others call them BASKETS. Different terminologies. Our station rolls over tomorrow's freight, others roll over today's freight.

SmithBarney

All our non commit stuff is split off at the ramp, we hardly see any, Which really sucks because we should be given a chance to make the decision if we can take it or not...

cancan

Management is trying to control one index at a time usually prompted by whatever the district is focused on. Sometimes you sacrifice OT to reduce overall package handling hours.
Trying to connect what one district or region is doing to the company as a whole is usually fruitless because the overall strategy is different depending on whatever MD or VP thinks is important at the time.
If you are trying to make sense of anything you are just wasting your time.

FedexVentura

Management is trying to control one index at a time usually prompted by whatever the district is focused on. Sometimes you sacrifice OT to reduce overall package handling hours.
Trying to connect what one district or region is doing to the company as a whole is usually fruitless because the overall strategy is different depending on whatever MD or VP thinks is important at the time.
Ugh. Fedex. I wish they’d just state their reasoning. Sometimes, I’m glad all I do is carry cardboard.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
You are simply unable to grasp the brilliant game plan formulated by management to create the hyper-efficient system that will re-invent the industry.

That’s why @59 Dano is headed back. FedEx needs the brightest prospects in order to pull this all off, and beat Amazon at their own game.

:lol:

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
You are simply unable to grasp the brilliant game plan formulated by management to create the hyper-efficient system that will re-invent the industry.

That’s why @59 Dano is headed back. FedEx needs the brightest prospects in order to pull this all off, and beat Amazon at their own game.

:lol:

Believe it or not, something that's a problem in one region or district may not be an issue in another and wouldn't require the same amount of attention or action.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Believe it or not, something that's a problem in one region or district may not be an issue in another and wouldn't require the same amount of attention or action.
I see. That’s why Memphis is so flexible in allowing local management to set their own parameters and protocols in conducting business.

Right....

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
I'm sure there's a point in there somewhere.
You pointed out yourself that
“something that's a problem in one region or district may not be an issue in another and wouldn't require the same amount of attention or action.”

Memphis doesn’t allow flexibility. All problems have a single solution dictated by Memphis.

Oldfart

“something that's a problem in one region or district may not be an issue in another and wouldn't require the same amount of attention or action.”

Memphis doesn’t allow flexibility. All problems have a single solution dictated by Memphis.
So Directors and VPs have no say? Interesting

cancan

Actually they do give local management a lot of autonomy outside of whatever nail they are trying to hit at the time.
The problem with that though is sometimes they will cap hiring at a regional or district level and one station may already be starving for people.
The problem is that they don't trust local management to run their business and the whole company is a blame game.
If there is a late plan or an index off, the first thing they start looking for is whom to blame. The only way for an Ops Manager to avoid a Performance Reminder is to show a paperwork trail on his under-performing couriers.The same goes at every level of management.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
The problem is that they don't trust local management to run their business and the whole company is a blame game.
Sounds perfect for @59 Dano. If you can't intimidate into acquiescence, blame those under your supervision.

It's easier than actually 'managing', because actually managing is difficult and requires personal effort.

cancan

Sounds perfect for @59 Dano. If you can't intimidate into acquiescence, blame those under your supervision.

It's easier than actually 'managing', because actually managing is difficult and requires personal effort.

Like it or hate it. The blame game has been part of Express culture since the beginning. It gets its roots in the airline industry. Its just that a lot of other things used to come with it like performance coaching, values, a concept of employee fairness, and a strict set of rules.
Your Ops Manager is doing your Senior Manager's job, taking heat for employees poor performance or a bad engineering plan, being blamed for everything under the sun and doing MT3's 2 checkrides a week.
There isn't a lot of time for old school coaching any more. Its easier to just issue some OLCCs and put them on your bosses desk. A lot of Ops Manager's shield their employees from a lot
Some Ops Managers have it good, but most don't. I'm not complaining. We chose to be in management in hopes that someday we would be the ones shoving our work down and sometimes we even say to ourselves when we make Senior we won't treat our Ops Manager's like that but the truth of the matter is its a machine that has been cranking out the same product since the 90s with more and more gears missing.
I know. Cry me a river. I got out of the insanity of it even though I loved it but hopefully this will give you another perspective.

59 Dano

No.

59 Dano

It's not difficult. It probably seems difficult to someone who has never had to do it or did it, but wasn't any good.