Why do newbies......

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
no computer can stand next to a manager and tell him that what he's about to do is stupid beyond belief, so no i doubt it

the IE department is being hella expanded, as automation will be significantly directed by us; hourlies on the other hand..
The amount of power you THINK you have is pretty funny.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
The amount of power you THINK you have is pretty funny.
I think you misread what TIR was implying ... if he was implying anything.

IE doesn't decide which strategies we pursue ... that is at the Board and Management Technology level and
they usually follow the recommendation of the Corporate Strategic Technology Group which also specifies the type of technology. In relations to technology used in operations, IE provides the requirements and then the IS organization researches, selects, bids, purchases, and supports the software selection needs for that technology.
IE is responsible for any technology implementations in operations and the ongoing support as TSG reports up through IE.

So, bottom line ... IE at the Corporate level is fairly involved in decision making but primarily in representing operations' needs.
At the District level, it is mostly implementation which means IE management gets a lot of briefings on technology that is in the queue so they can prepare and plan and eventually develop rollout plans.

Turdferguson

Just a turd
I think you misread what TIR was implying ... if he was implying anything.

IE doesn't decide which strategies we pursue ... that is at the Board and Management Technology level and
they usually follow the recommendation of the Corporate Strategic Technology Group which also specifies the type of technology. In relations to technology used in operations, IE provides the requirements and then the IS organization researches, selects, bids, purchases, and supports the software selection needs for that technology.
IE is responsible for any technology implementations in operations and the ongoing support as TSG reports up through IE.

So, bottom line ... IE at the Corporate level is fairly involved in decision making but primarily in representing operations' needs.
At the District level, it is mostly implementation which means IE management gets a lot of briefings on technology that is in the queue so they can prepare and plan and eventually develop rollout plans.
Thank you for agreeing with me that all of those jobs can easily be replaced with a computer program developed by an outside vendor.
THAT post was almost post 120 worthy

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
TIR, how much longer do you think before dispatching is taken away from the center level and transferred to the region, division or even district level?
i don't think it'll ever really be fully taken away, there will always be someone to mind it

automated dispatch will probably come some time after the whole country is on ORION, and maybe even after self-driving cars get introduced, so maybe 10-15 years?

i heard a Corporate guy claim they could implement it now but i don't believe that whatsoever; they could probably automate a bit of it now, maybe cut out center dispatchers for a building dispatcher, but not a full cut for a long time