Why do we use pins for our DIADs now ?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
For those of us who never bothered to obtain these codes or keys, for what seems to be not so obvious liability reasons, I say I don't want to enter somebodies house or garage when they aren't home. As soon as something alledgedly comes up missing, guess who the prime suspect will be?

DiadDude

The PIN is not about making those codes hard for you to find, but rather about making sure if the DIAD which contains the codes is lost or stolen, others won't be able to see those codes.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
Years of experience For gate codes!!!???? I just keep hitting enter till its over. done in 5 seconds. OOps!! Did i get it wrong?:anxious:

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Are there a lot of stolen or lost diads?

And if one was found or stolen would anyone A-have a clue what it is and B-be able to open up a stop and find a security code? I think this was designed more to assure the customer than to actually prevent anything. I would be surprised if anyone on my route would ever use Mychoice in the first place.

DiadDude

Are there a lot of stolen or lost diads?

It only takes 1 to create a PR problem for the company. Think about the stories of companies that have lost backup tapes with sensitive data, or business men leaving laptops in their rental car. Same theory here. An ounce of prevention so to speak.

satellitedriver

It only takes 1 to create a PR problem for the company. Think about the stories of companies that have lost backup tapes with sensitive data, or business men leaving laptops in their rental car. Same theory here. An ounce of prevention so to speak.
Dude,
That is why customers give the codes to the drivers that they know and trust.
What paranoid idiot, that lives behind gates, will trust giving their personal codes to an internet based connection.
IMHO,
My Choice is a wet dream that will cost more in the ill-logistics than the revenue stream generated.
Yes, stream was used as a pun.

DiadDude

Dude,
What paranoid idiot, that lives behind gates, will trust giving their personal codes to an internet based connection.

Are you implying there is a limit to how dumb an idiot is?

The fact of the matter is that sensitive information can and will find its way into the DIAD. The PIN is there so that when a Driver leaves his DIAD on the rear bumper and its picked up by someone with bad intentions, the Bad Guy can't just turn it on and flip through the manifest and learn anything about the addresses it contains.

pretzel_man

Dude,
That is why customers give the codes to the drivers that they know and trust.
IMHO,
My Choice is a wet dream that will cost more in the ill-logistics than the revenue stream generated.
Yes, stream was used as a pun.

Whether MyChoice makes money or not is yet to be seen. I know many senior managers at UPS that do not think its a good thing for UPS as well.

It did get a lot of buzz so far, and as far as I know the competition cannot match the service.

I guess we will wait and see on that.

As far as PINs go, unfortunately we live in a very litigious society. There are also laws that protect sensitive and personal information.

The FTC has information about laws and standards in this area:

http://business.ftc.gov/documents/b...ustomer-information-complying-safeguards-rule

I'm on the fence regarding MyChoice. I hope its successful. I hope it gives customers a reason to ask for UPS shipping.

By the way, it also addresses a huge complaint from customers, and that is the ability to get an estimated delivery time.

I will wait and see.....

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

The fact of the matter is that sensitive information can and will find its way into the DIAD. The PIN is there so that when a Driver leaves his DIAD on the rear bumper and its picked up by someone with bad intentions, the Bad Guy can't just turn it on and flip through the manifest and learn anything about the addresses it contains.

I have to say that having a PIN seems like a reasonable precaution to take. While I agree that the chances of a DIAD getting stolen and then used to access gate codes are pretty slim, it could happen and the resulting PR problem would be quite embarrassing for UPS. Having to type in 4 digits every once in a while barely qualifies as an annoyance and if it prevents one instance of the codes being used by a thief then it is probably worth it.

old levi's

blank space
I have to say that having a PIN seems like a reasonable precaution to take. While I agree that the chances of a DIAD getting stolen and then used to access gate codes are pretty slim, it could happen and the resulting PR problem would be quite embarrassing for UPS. Having to type in 4 digits every once in a while barely qualifies as an annoyance and if it prevents one instance of the codes being used by a thief then it is probably worth it.

Is this opposite sober that lives in the forest and no one has ever seen before?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I'm on the fence regarding MyChoice. I hope its successful. I hope it gives customers a reason to ask for UPS shipping.

By the way, it also addresses a huge complaint from customers, and that is the ability to get an estimated delivery time.

I will wait and see.....

It will succeed...or fail....based upon whether or not those who call the shots from afar provide adequate resources (cars on the road) for those of us who must implement the service in the real world.

To be a success it will require an empowered local management team who can make decisions, allocate resources, react to changing conditions, and quickly and clearly communicate a plan to the drivers on the road during the work day.

We currently do not have empowered local management teams. What we currently have...is "facilitation teams" that must blindly and obediently chase whatever metric happens to be the current flavor of the week (stops per car? SPORH? Overallowed hours?) right off the edge of a cliff if Corporate or IE demands it.

The idea itself (providing a premium level of service using the combined abilities of the Internet, PAS/EDD, PLD and OMS messaging) is a sound one. We drivers...who are the hardest-working and most professional in the industry...can make the program succeed IF we are allowed to by those who "manage" us.

Will we be set up to succeed, or will we be set up to fail? THAT is the question that remains unanswered.

satellitedriver

I implied nothing.
I asked a question.

The fact of the matter is that sensitive information can and will find its way into the DIAD.Sensitive info? Like the address on the persons mailbox that is posted on the road? Or, the sensitive 1z tracking number that can not be fully viewed after a delivery? The PIN is there so that when a Driver leaves his DIAD on the rear bumper and its picked up by someone with bad intentions,The bad guys would just jack me for the DIAD, or steal the entire pkg car. the Bad Guy can't just turn it on and flip through the manifest and learn anything about the addresses it contains.
I do agree with the last sentence you posted.
"the Bad Guy can't just turn it on and flip through the manifest and learn anything about the addresses it contains."
If the sensitive info is never in the DIAD, it can not be accessed by the "bad guys".
I personally have home security codes, gate codes and keys that have been entrusted to me by my customers. I do not even share this info with my trusted cover drivers.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have three buildings on my area that have entry codes. I took the time to type these out and taped it to my bulkhead door so that my cover drivers will have access to these buildings.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I have three buildings on my area that have entry codes. I took the time to type these out and taped it to my bulkhead door so that my cover drivers will have access to these buildings.

...as well as anybody else who happens upon them. Good thing you live and work in "Mayberry". That isn't a viable system in the real world, hence the pin numbers in our DIAD to access this type of information.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

...as well as anybody else who happens upon them. Good thing you live and work in "Mayberry". That isn't a viable system in the real world, hence the pin numbers in our DIAD to access this type of information.

Two of these are apartment buildings and the other is an office where contractors come to review blueprints before bidding on jobs. I could just as easily have the PDS put the entry codes in to CPAD. You do have a point but up here in the "bubble of goodness" it is not a big deal.