Why does UPS hate their employees?

With this economy,they feel that guys are so scared to loose their jobs that they will run their stones off to keep the S .S {salary supes} off their backs!!This happened in early 90's with a small recession back then,but not as bad!!!Hang tuff, when the volume rises they will be to busy counting the money $ & patting each other on the back ,they will lighten up!! everything runs in cycles here!!

So True...

705red

Browncafe Steward
Any Union that would split a raise by 6-months, and let the company
put a GPS on us is selling us out... But without them
I wouldn't want to think about working for UPS...
I was against the split raises from the get go, but just look at others like the yrc contract. They received a little over $2 over 5 years and just took a 10% pay cut to keep their jobs. Yes while we are receiving split raises at least we are still going up $4 an hour over the next 5 years and yrc will be at least $10 an hour behind us at that time.

Now on to the gps, we here in 705 were able to keep that language out of our contract, but do not blame the union for everything in the contract, the members voted on it and excepted it. Look at other locals like 804 that voted down their original offer, they received what they wanted because they refused to accept the crap the first time. JMO

backinbrown

respect my authority
I was against the split raises from the get go, but just look at others like the yrc contract. They received a little over $2 over 5 years and just took a 10% pay cut to keep their jobs. Yes while we are receiving split raises at least we are still going up $4 an hour over the next 5 years and yrc will be at least $10 an hour behind us at that time.

Now on to the gps, we here in 705 were able to keep that language out of our contract, but do not blame the union for everything in the contract, the members voted on it and excepted it. Look at other locals like 804 that voted down their original offer, they received what they wanted because they refused to accept the crap the first time. JMO

THANK YOU we need more members voting its sad what is happening with people not supporting our union and the way management is molding our "NEWBIES" it's only going to get worse.

Not flaming you Red, but putting the monkey on the members backs for voting for a contract isn't always a fair assumption.
This last contract, I would have loved to have voted against it, but our (central states) backs were against the wall with time. If we had not accepted the contract when we did, the federal government would be managing our retirement. That is not something anyone would want. If you ever think something is as screwed up as it can get, think again, the feds could be running it.

Highwayman

This is nothing new it is slow this time of year,economy down. I started 20 years ago and they were doing this. You must have a thick skin and then after a while they will tire of yapping at you and move on to someone else.:knockedout:

feederdriver06

former monkey slave
I have been with UPS for about 20 years but have seen over the past couple a progressive attitude and acceptance of harassment of drivers from management. I hope it is not as common as our hub.

Every day sups are out jumping all over drivers, some almost to the point of yelling. Just yesterday, a sup was talking loudly to a new driver, almost to the point of yelling, saying things like "any driver can do this better than you. What is your problem out there? Maybe UPS isnt the job for you so maybe you should just quit."

Other things like "You are the highest paid in the industry, so start working like it. There are 50 people out there ready to take your job so if you cant do it, leave. We can always find someone else take your route."

I have started to document these actions on the part of management but what really gets me is how passive the Teamsters are being on this. When I called our local, I was told that management is under a lot of stress and we need to just bear with it. Seeing as how the Teamsters are going to do nothing and drivers are scared of retaliation so they look the other way, what is it going to be like in 5 years from now?

If you stand up for yourself, then the threats start to fly. Threats like we better not have any unexplained stretches of time during the day or we will be fired for stealing time. They have already pulled drivers in the office to explain what they were doing for a 6 minute stretch.

I do not want to seem like I am bashing management as I have had probably more good supervisors than bad, but from what I am seeing take place now is unacceptable. The harassment, threats, and even some intimidation is getting out of hand.

Is anyone here experienceing the same? I personally have been with UPS for over 20 years and am getting to the point where I hate even going to work in the mornings. My stomach starts to hurt in the mornings when sups start walking around with all their reports in their hands and start their "interrogations".

I am finding it difficult to think that UPS management has any respect or gratitude towards their employees.
I know where you're coming from driver...........went down this road 4 to 5 years ago and bid out of package car. I woulda quit all together if I had not been for the 22.3 job I bid to.

None of the 50 so-called people ready to take your job would want anything to do with it if they knew how they would be treated once they got into the position.

All of your points are why for the last 10 years atleast I ALWAYS discouraged any part timers from taking a package car job and continue to do so now any chance I get. Its amazing to see people signing up to do that job and I feel so bad for them because they have absolutely no idea what the are getting themselves involved in.

My 10 years as a package car driver dealing with the games of management have earned me the right to emphatically announce to the world I HATE PACKAGE CAR!!!! and really the word hate is a gross understatement

writer

Preoad Supervisor
Re: Why does UPS hate it's employees?

AMEN! But the idea is to use fear and intimidation to scare the employees into working hard. Fear is not a successful motivator and will usually lead to mutiny and as soon as someone's back is turned things go back the other way. It doesn't last or bring about good and successful change or work habits. Nor any loyalty. But some in UPS management still try to bully their way through things.

Some of us were pondering recently: what if management was full of people like Zig Ziglar, Stephen Covey and other successful leaders and motivators? Those who don't yell and cuss at employees or intimidate? Morale would improve and numbers would be met and I would bet money that turnover would go down. Might even be a desireable place to work!

Telling your employees "you suck" isn't a great motivator.

UPS Lifer

Re: Why does UPS hate it's employees?

AMEN! But the idea is to use fear and intimidation to scare the employees into working hard. Fear is not a successful motivator and will usually lead to mutiny and as soon as someone's back is turned things go back the other way. It doesn't last or bring about good and successful change or work habits. Nor any loyalty. But some in UPS management still try to bully their way through things.

Some of us were pondering recently: what if management was full of people like Zig Ziglar, Stephen Covey and other successful leaders and motivators? Those who don't yell and cuss at employees or intimidate? Morale would improve and numbers would be met and I would bet money that turnover would go down. Might even be a desireable place to work!

This really says it the way it is. BUT - (Not to sound cold or uncaring) - you get what you deserve. By this I mean that sometimes you need to stand up for yourself. Don't allow anyone to be disrespectful. When someone is disrespectful you need to confront the situation. If you cannot take care of it right then and there, write down exactly what transpired with the date and time and address it as soon as feasible. You cannot allow that person to continue to walk all over you and make your life miserable.

Do something about it - Take responsibility!

Confrontation done right will be extremely effective. I use to teach this stuff and I really believe in it.

Here is the key --> Get your gut out of it. Use your brain and don't stoop to the other person's level. Bring them UP to your level.

1. Set the climate - State your intentions and concerns or reservations
2. State your case - describe behavior, state the impact of that behavior and own your responsibility
3. Listen for understanding - give 100% attention
4. Negotiate - make request, offer help in the change, describe the positive or negative consequences
5. Make agreements - share appreciation

Believe it or not, there is always someone you can go to at UPS that can make a positive impact on your situation. You just have to find that person. It may be an HR Manager or a Division Mgr.

You can't let this stuff eat you up and it goes all directions. Up the ladder, down the ladder and sideways!

atlantahub357

Ups is screwing up !!!!!!!

I've been with the atlanta hub for five yrs now and it's changed for the worst every year sups r a pain ,hours r worst than ever b4 and to top it off they screwed up on my last to years of vacations, plus they were late 2 weeks in a row with our checks and we have no positions 2 bid (wz up ups wz going on)

feeder53

ADKtrails
I too believe that the problem arose when the stock went public and now they preach from the pulpit of the bottom line. This is not unique to UPS as I see a lot of the same type of behavior at my full time job too. I do not take things personal, that helps and I always try to be part of the answer, not the problem.

tieguy

Banned
reading through the thread I certainly understand many of the posts complaining about how we manage. We micro manage the piss out of our people. And that is something we in management are not immune to. There was a time a divison manager had the autonomy to run his divison. In todays world I now see district managers micromanaging divison managers.

With that said I don't understand the expressions of hate that some have for their management folks. I could not do my job if not for the fact that most of my people understand UPS and the UPS mindset and are generally supportive of what we or I are trying to acomplish. The hate part baffles me. i could not do a job where I have feelings of hate for the job or people.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
reading through the thread I certainly understand many of the posts complaining about how we manage. We micro manage the piss out of our people. And that is something we in management are not immune to. There was a time a divison manager had the autonomy to run his divison. In todays world I now see district managers micromanaging divison managers.

The above answers everyone's question. Driver micromanaged by driver sup. Driver sup micromanaged by Center Manager. Center Manager micromanaged by Division Manager. Division Manager so one and so on.

If you can even see how many emails a center manager gets from other suits trying to justify their positions, you'd understand why they act the way they do. The system put in place causes this terrible environment. We all agree there are jerks in both management and union. Even the good ones are pressured to put the heat down at times, to satisfy the corporate chain.

Just remember, a union employee just has to stay employed to move up the seniority list (which is all that matters). A driver sup/center manager has to do upper managements dirty work so they eventually be moved up and enjoy climbing the ladder.

sano

Sups are people to.
The same things that work in other relationships, work between you and your boss.
It comes down to respect. I respect them and they in turn respect me. I work next to a guy(preload) that has a ongoing feud with the sups. He is constantly cussing at them and yelling his disagreement to anything the sups say. The sups in turn yell at him and are constantly harassing him.
I try to be polite and work as directed, even when I disagree with their method of getting things done. In turn I get treated with respect.
You get what you give.
I am sure there are managers that are bad people, but the majority are just trying to make a living in the UPS system, just like me.

writer

Preoad Supervisor
Re: Ups is screwing up !!!!!!!

Are we texting in the forums now?

I've been with the atlanta hub for five yrs now and it's changed for the worst every year sups r a pain ,hours r worst than ever b4 and to top it off they screwed up on my last to years of vacations, plus they were late 2 weeks in a row with our checks and we have no positions 2 bid (wz up ups wz going on)

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Re: Ups is screwing up !!!!!!!

Are we texting in the forums now?

"Pardon me Miss, I speak jive"--from the movie "Airplane"

I have worked in the Atlanta hub for the past 5 years and thing have changed for the worse every year. The supervisors can be difficult to work with, the hours are worse than ever and, to top it off, they were late 2 weeks in a row with our paychecks and we have no positions to bid. UPS, what is the deal with this?

This translation brought to you by TFFA (Text-Free Foundation of America)

Braveheart

It has been getting really bad for a good number of years. The union just seems helpless anymore. They have no power and guys are getting raked over the coals.

I have been in the union close to 20 years and we did not used to take this crap 10-12 years ago. I file and while it took years I think I finally got my sups off my ass.

Work smart, work safe, and right address every time and they can not fire you for production. You need to have high quality work if not high production. Better have good attendence. I stay on my local about the contract.

satellitedriver

I do not get the negativity.
This job/career is a daily grind.
Blaming the company for going to public stock is a weak argument.
Many who complain do not even own UPS stock.
Expecting the union to solve all ills holds even less weight.
To me, this is just a whine thread.
All employees have a simple choice.
Leave or stay.
Tough choice.
Many, and I mean many, things could be improved to make this company much more profitable, but, simple infighting bitchin' means squat.
Reverse the initial hate question,of this thread, and ask yourself a simple question.
"Why do you chose to stay employed at UPS?"

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Because we r union and they r managment.Always will be a rift.

I dont believe this is true. If this company never "invited" the union in things would be 10,000X worse than they are. People are trying to rationalize this and thats the wrong thing to do. Even the biggest brown nosers will tell each other how ups takes advantage of its employees. Most of us understand the concept of employee/management in the larger scope of things, but there is this underlying "issue" that mgt has.Some areas are better than others, but as a whole there is an issue, it is also true for mgt vs mgt. If you read upsers.com or other news articles you would thing it was a different company.When will ups have a leader who addresses the employee relation problem?:sick:

Blaming the company for going to public stock is a weak argument.
I see it as a very valid argument, simply because the company started the micro-managing almost immediately following the event. I never heard some of the crap about "business decissions", " Bottom line", and other buzz words that apply to "taking care of the investors" that we all hear now.
Many who complain do not even own UPS stock.

Expecting the union to solve all ills holds even less weight.
And that's relevant because????
To me, this is just a whine thread.
As are the majority of the threads on this board.
All employees have a simple choice.
Leave or stay.
Not as simple as one might think, because it is a
Tough choice. ,as you say.

Many, and I mean many, things could be improved to make this company much more profitable, but, simple infighting bitchin' means squat.
There should be a balance between the infighting and fairness to all involved.
Reverse the initial hate question,of this thread, and ask yourself a simple question.
"Why do you chose to stay employed at UPS?"

I stay because I'm 58 years old, with a body that has been worn out at UPS, driving worthless trucks many many miles, because at my age it's a little too late to begin a new career. There isn't a place where I could make the kind of money I make with the bennies I receive, where I could possibly get a retirement of any kind. All these benefits are courtesy of the negotiations of the union that represents us, not out of the goodness of our CEO's heart. Through the years I figured I could make it to retirement without much problem, but no, there have been many problems. Right now I have an injury received while preforming a standard work method correctly. Just one more chink in the armor.My center manager (who I like personally) tried his best to get me to say that I "might" have injured myself at home and didn't realize it, just to save another loss time injury on the books. Everyday I hear a sup trying to intimidate some poor rookie, just to get them to deliver a few more packages everyday (in less time). I see drivers leave the building in PCs that should have been scrapped 50,000 miles ago, but UPS has to get their moneys worth, so they are driven till there is nothing left to repair. We have to wear crap uniforms that do not fit correctly, fall apart on the first few times they are worn because they are a couple of bucks cheaper than the previous clothes. Regardless of the great day we had on Monday, if Tuesday isn't so good we get hammered and accused of cheating the company. We have drivers delivering 23 SPORH on a 50% business route and the sups just add more work on the guy.
Ya know they say **** rolls down hill, and it's true. So does negitivity.