Why even have a contract?

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
At the end of the day, the union isn't Jim Hoffa, Kenny H., or even your business agent. You are the union -- if you're afraid of filing a grievance to protect your rights, then the contract isn't worth the paper its printed on.

That being said, the company can use "emergency conditions" or "Acts of God" to circumvent some things in the CBA due to previous panel decisions or agreements. But you can flip that around on them the same way -- there's no way in hell I'd show up to work preload in an area being hit by a Category 4 hurricane.

rod

Retired 22 years
Is the contract still full of "Act of God" clauses that over-ride everything else? Mathew just might be classified as an act of god and guaranteed hours might not apply in this case.

guyinthebrownbox

Is the contract still full of "Act of God" clauses that over-ride everything else? Mathew just might be classified as an act of god and guaranteed hours might not apply in this case.

Yes. And yes this falls under it. I wanted to work yeaterday but it was a no go

To the OP. You come on here to complain about the union but don't intend to do anything proactive it. If you steward sucks, become one yourself and try to push him out

You not filing the grievance just adds to the problem. File it. Stand up for yourself

Dr.Brownz

I'm glad all my stewards have vendettas against UPS. Just tell them UPS is screwing you and the next day they have 3 or 4 grievances ready to go.

Mr.nobody

Yes. And yes this falls under it. I wanted to work yeaterday but it was a no go

To the OP. You come on here to complain about the union but don't intend to do anything proactive it. If you steward sucks, become one yourself and try to push him out

You not filing the grievance just adds to the problem. File it. Stand up for yourself

How do you become a stewert?

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
you said you did not want a target on your back.

go work somewhere else if you don't want to stick up for yourself. get tired of whiners that want to rant against the company, against the union , against everything except for their own shortfalls.

kingOFchester

Several years ago there was a winter storm bearing down in our area. We (drivers) were told to come in as they were not suspending operations. Once we were there it was clear it was up in the air whether we were going to be sent out. Stewards told us to clock in while management decided whether to send us out.

After our schedule start time they decided to suspend operations. UPS would not pay us our 8 guarantee. Everyone that clocked in eventually got paid when grievances were heard. Took a long time, but we got paid. Easiest day I ever had at UPS.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Several years ago there was a winter storm bearing down in our area. We (drivers) were told to come in as they were not suspending operations. Once we were there it was clear it was up in the air whether we were going to be sent out. Stewards told us to clock in while management decided whether to send us out.

After our schedule start time they decided to suspend operations. UPS would not pay us our 8 guarantee. Everyone that clocked in eventually got paid when grievances were heard. Took a long time, but we got paid. Easiest day I ever had at UPS.

The rule of thumb is if they call you before your shift telling you to stay home you would have to burn a day if you want to get paid. If they make you come in you are entitled to your daily guarantee. You may have to file a grievance in order to get paid.