Why even work preload

Chukie804

Management told me I'd never be a driver
Because you're a masochist. And because your driver told you that was the ONLY WAY POSSIBLE to become a driver, since they don't hire off the street. I don't envy the guys trying to make book from the outside. At the end of the day glad I did it the way I did.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Did you sign the list in your building to be a driver? Are you 21? Do you have a 1 year clean record?

If you answered yes to all three of these questions and they are pulling drivers in off the street before you then you should be having a chat with your BA and they should be making sure you are pulled before anyone is hired from off the street.

whatever's clever

I would like to believe that answering yes to those three questions is all that management would need to allow people from inside to go on road.

Unfortunately they seem to be very creative in inventing reasons why someone shouldn’t be able to do it. Maybe I will try the BA.

WTFm8

Maybe you just suck? Or your buiding is just poorly run like most.

I tried getting into UPS around 9 years ago, didn’t even get an interview, I was early 20s tho and it was the recession.

Applied online last October and picked a day/time within the hour. In-person interview was the following day and 2 days later I was at driver school.

Did my 30 inside and then got put on bulk stops all peak and once done with those I’d meet a driver to be a helper.

Qualified in May and now it’s a year since hire and I have 1,800 hours in this year and on track to make $40k first year as a cover.

Some buildings need driver more the others. We had 3 retirements, a 4th become an ORS at another location, and a 5th quit. 2+ out for injurys.

I’ve done 52-58 hrs per week 3/4 of this year. Thursday and Friday this week were both 13hrs not including break.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Maybe you just suck? Or your buiding is just poorly run like most.

I tried getting into UPS around 9 years ago, didn’t even get an interview, I was early 20s tho and it was the recession.

Applied online last October and picked a day/time within the hour. In-person interview was the following day and 2 days later I was at driver school.

Did my 30 inside and then got put on bulk stops all peak and once done with those I’d meet a driver to be a helper.

Qualified in May and now it’s a year since hire and I have 1,800 hours in this year and on track to make $40k first year as a cover.

Some buildings need driver more the others. We had 3 retirements, a 4th become an ORS at another location, and a 5th quit. 2+ out for injurys.

I’ve done 52-58 hrs per week 3/4 of this year. Thursday and Friday this week were both 13hrs not including break.
heaviest route in the center?

PeakMode

Arrive Peak Leave
I rather hired out of the preload than a off the street one. For one they understand and appreciate more the opportunity to drive, the preload process and you dont have to baby them as much as a off the street hire. I know some off the street hires that had to work a Sat. preload and it was their first time seeing that side....deer in headlights..they stop being dumbasses to their loaders that day.

Days

I rather hired out of the preload than a off the street one. For one they understand and appreciate more the opportunity to drive, the preload process and you dont have to baby them as much as a off the street hire. I know some off the street hires that had to work a Sat. preload and it was their first time seeing that side....deer in headlights..they stop being dumbasses to their loaders that day.

Ya there are some drivers that expect spotless load qualities but some of the preload positions don't give you any time to actually do that.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
D3C8702A-FCC5-4257-9A75-D2347A37E376.gif
Ya there are some drivers that expect spotless load qualities but some of the preload positions don't give you any time to actually do that.

WTFm8

heaviest route in the center?

Not always, and I see you and a few others post this frequently.

Top 5... because that’s around how many covers run. Brought 19 missed stops back at 22:10 on Friday.

They rotate the routes that covers are on so it’s never more then 2 days so they can’t get 9.5 and get stuck with 11-13hr days constantly.

Altho there are routes with half the stops but they get blown out with pickups.

WTFm8

... stack out, miss packages so others down line pull, and/or stop the belt.

You’ve fallen for the UPS ‘work as directed’ trap when you should be more focused on a good load and preserving your integrity.

Days

... stack out, miss packages so others down line pull, and/or stop the belt.

You’ve fallen for the UPS ‘work as directed’ trap when you should be more focused on a good load and preserving your integrity.

My load quality isn't terrible but there is no reward for a good load quality. If a good load quality saves the company 5-6 hours of driver time a week (across 4 trucks) than the loader should be compensated for that.

WTFm8

My load quality isn't terrible but there is no reward for a good load quality. If a good load quality saves the company 5-6 hours of driver time a week (across 4 trucks) than the loader should be compensated for that.

... wrong.

You’re part of a union, the union is only as strong as the members and how much they are a team and work together. Educate your brothers/sisters of the below:

Compensation comes from working longer on the clock. OR, you know, they’d be forced to hire more people to get job done and you’d possibly be responsible for ‘only’ 3 trucks instead.

If drivers and/or supervisors are consistantly helping preload day in and day out for weeks or months at a time, you should all be filing grievances to get more bargaining unit employees. You should be approaching stewards to have drivers helping come to a stop as they’re stealing hours from PT employees.

Once they realize they can’t get or keep people at the pay, they’d be forced to up the PT pay and/or start preload earlier.

It’s management/supervisors job to make you fear discipline and get you to do the most work they can. It’s your job to follow the methods and work safe. If you follow the methods and relocate or write HINS, you’ll have less stress and be able to place the packages more efficiently.

If management starts harassing about numbers or over-supervision, you simply file art 37 grievance. Never loose your cool or cuss, treat them with respect... it really pisses some of them off if they can’t get a rise out of you.

rod

Retired 22 years

You're putting in that many hours and all you have to show for it is 40k? What are they paying you -- $7.50 an hour?