Why is Christmas such a threat to some people?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
One of the most prominent founding fathers THOMAS PAINE was an atheist. Was he a nut as well? And if so, what does that say for the form of democracy he helped to establish?

PEACE

TOS

As usual, you missed my point.

You should really take the time to think ... it is not that bad a thing to do.

804brown

One of the most prominent founding fathers THOMAS PAINE was an atheist. Was he a nut as well? And if so, what does that say for the form of democracy he helped to establish?

PEACE

TOS

Paine was actually not an atheist (even though teddy roosevelt once called him a "filthy little atheist". He was neither filthy, little or an atheist. Paine was a deist.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Paine was actually not an atheist (even though teddy roosevelt once called him a "filthy little atheist". He was neither filthy, little or an atheist. Paine was a deist.

Brother Brown, yes, most of the founders were "Deist" with the exception of John Jay who was a christian, and PAINE, who followed NO RELIGION.

From Founder Paine:

"The New Testament, they tell us, is founded upon the prophecies of the Old; if so, it must follow the fate of
its foundation.''

"Of all the tyrannies that affect mankind, tyranny in religion is the worst."

"Whenever we read the obscene stories, the voluptuous debaucheries, the cruel and torturous
executions, the unrelenting vindictiveness, with which more than half of the Bible is filled, it would be more consistent that we call it the word of a demon than the word of God. It is a history of wickedness that has served to corrupt and brutalize mankind.

"What is it the New Testament teaches us? To believe that the Almighty committed debauchery with a
woman engaged to be married; and the belief of this debauchery is called faith."

"Take away from Genesis the belief that Moses was the author, on which only the strange belief that it is the word of God has stood, and there remains nothing of Genesis but an anonymous book of stories, fables, and traditionary or invented absurdities, or of downright lies."

"We do not admit the authority of the church with respect to its pretended infallibility, its
manufactured miracles, its setting itself up to forgive sins. It was by propagating that belief and supporting it with fire that she kept up her
temporal power."

"I do not believe in the creed professed by the Jewish Church, by the Roman Church, by the Greek Church, by the Turkish Church, by the Protestant Church, nor by any Church that I know of. My own mind is my own Church. Each of those churches accuse the other of unbelief; and for my own part, I disbelieve them all."

"The story of Jesus Christ appearing after he was dead is the story of an apparition, such as timid
imaginations can always create in vision, and credulity believe. Stories of this kind had been told of the assassination of Julius Caesar."

"All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit."
"The study of theology, as it stands in the Christian churches, is the study of nothing; it is founded on
nothing; it rests on no principles; it proceeds by no authority; it has no data; it can demonstrate nothing; and it admits of no conclusion."
[/FONT]

Thomas Paine wrote many things and hated christianity in all forms. When he went to france, he was vocal about hating religion and participated in anti goverment movements until he was imprisoned. He was freed after intervention from another founder and returned to the USA.

He died in the USA and no church would host his funeral. He was buried under a tree on his rance attended by less than 5 people. Later, his bones were dug up by an englishman and returned to england where he was to be given a true burial. His bones were subsequently lost.

He did not subscribe to the deist methodology but respect it.

Peace

TOS

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Deists do not believe in the Bible as an authoritative source:

Deism was a philosophy, especially popular in the 18th century, holding that God had created the universe and its laws but then receded from the action. It was treated as heretical -- akin to atheism -- because Deists rejected Biblical authority.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB125365145301031757.html

Babagounj

Strength through joy
"Made up holiday" like a holiday made up to commemerate a "virgin" birthing a baby?? LOL

2000 years of faith and several books vs a notion only known in a few years ago.
People have died for their Christian faith , enlighten me on how many have died for their Kwanzaa beliefs ?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
2000 years of faith and several books vs a notion only known in a few years ago.
People have died for their Christian faith , enlighten me on how many have died for their Kwanzaa beliefs ?

Two years ago a woman was dancing in the street celebrating Kwanza and was killed after being struck by a truck.

S

serenity now

Two years ago a woman was dancing in the street celebrating Kwanza and was killed after being struck by a truck.

and that is exactly the reason i choose instead to get liquored up and pass out under the Christmas tree

fyi hoax- the proper spelling is now Kwanzaa * the double a sounds more "ferin" * besides, if you can make up the entire holiday, you can certainly change the spelling at will

moreluck

golden ticket member
and that is exactly the reason i choose instead to get liquored up and pass out under the Christmas tree

fyi hoax- the proper spelling is now Kwanzaa * the double a sounds more "ferin" * besides, if you can make up the entire holiday, you can certainly change the spelling at will

When I see "zaa" I think of Spence on 'King of Queens' and that's how he referred to pizza.

"Let's order some "zaa" and watch the game."

Maybe pizza is part of the Kwanzaa celebration.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
When I see "zaa" I think of Spence on 'King of Queens' and that's how he referred to pizza.

"Let's order some "zaa" and watch the game."

Maybe pizza is part of the Kwanzaa celebration.

Why anything that is considered "BLACK" do you make fun of? Oh thats right, youre not racist.

Peace

TOS

804brown

Kwanza?? who cares?? But im sure many "heretics" and "scientists" were killed because of their radical beliefs in science. Or the muslim infidels who controlled the "holy"land that needed to be killed in the name of god.

2000 years of faith in a man who rose from the dead. Oh yeah lets praise the great zombie god. And why stop at 2000 years ago. Why not 5000 years ago when they started believing in the boogey man in the sky!! All hooey!!

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Why anything that is considered "BLACK" do you make fun of? Oh thats right, youre not racist.

Peace

TOS
Explain to me how making fun of the way someone says pizza is racist? The King of Queens is not racist. Spence is white, Oh you were hoping Deacon was singled out, nope, and I bet he likes pizzzaaaa

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Every year, its the same old story from the RIGHT WING and FOX news. "the war on christmas". A dog whistle for christians to come out and get angry.

What is suppose to be a happy time for all people, turns out to be more "generated" hate by FOX NEWS.

Every stupid show on FOX has to do a story on Christmas and some event that is being taken down, or some display that wont be put up again. Even bill orielly jumps into the fray the other night by interviewing the Gov of Rhode Island who told Orielly to calm down, cause he and fox news were tooo ANGRY.

Christmas should be celebrated by people in the privacy of their own homes and not on the street forcing others to believe what "they" believe.

Time to grow up people.

peace

TOS

moreluck

golden ticket member
Sometimes hearing Christmas Carols in public puts people in a good mood......if they don't like it, they all have MP3 players or whatever gadget is in now with earplugs.

They can turn up their music(?) to drown out the sound. (then maybe they won't hear the train coming or the car coming as they cross the street)
Hey, but Merry Christmas to all !!!

upsgrunt

Christmas is a Christian holiday, so yeah, we do "own" it. We Christians are celebrating the birth of our Savior- If you don't believe in God, then don't celebrate; better yet, why even celebrate at all? I get it that some don't want to be preached to, talked to, persuaded to belief, and I'm fine with that; stay home and NOT celebrate is the same option as stay home AND celebrate. Privacy works both ways.

tonyexpress

Whac-A-Troll Patrol
Staff member
Christmas should be celebrated by people in the privacy of their own homes and not on the street forcing others to believe what "they" believe. TOS

Looks like you still have a few days to give the White House a call and tell them to move the tree inside:

Several events take place around the National Christmas Tree. The first event, the Lighting of the National Christmas Tree is scheduled for Thursday, December 6, 2012. After the tree is lit, the Christmas Pathway of Peace begins. The Pathway, featuring trees representing the states and territories of the United States, also includes a number of musical performances.

2012 National Christmas Tree Lighting Program

Peace, Love and Joy!