why sups do not talk

retired2000

does anyone have any idea why when sups leave the company, they never bad mouth the place? after all they can not be as happy as they say the are.

W

who me

I know a couple who have left that bad mouth the place and a couple that still work there and bad mouth the place.

trickpony1

I think they have to sign some sort of confidentiality agreement when they first go into management saying they won't talk about it after they leave, perhaps for a certain length of time.
Ever notice there aren't many, if any, books written about one's experience with the company?
All the people I have seen that have left the company are quite happy. They smile and laugh alot and their facial expression indicate they are much less stressed.
What a coincidence.

retiredone

retired2000 said:
does anyone have any idea why when sups leave the company, they never bad mouth the place? after all they can not be as happy as they say the are.

I recall that UPS developed a confidentiality agreement and had all managers sign it a few years ago. However, I believe that the agreement restricted release of confidential/proprietary information. Since UPS is more involved in developing technology for business purposes, the objective of the agreement was to protect this information. I don't recall (and don't believe) that the purpose was to restrict criticism of the company.

trickpony1

Retiredone,

If what you say is true then I anxiously await the publishing of your new book, "God and man at a parcel delivery service" which might parallel a book written by a noted author, William friend. Buckley, entitled "God and Man at Yale".

The topic? hypocrisy

retiredone

trickpony1 said:
The topic? hypocrisy

Sounds like some of the folks on the boards may have already claimed paranoia as a topic for their books!

People do criticize the company...These discussion boards prove it.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
had all managers sign it a few years ago. However, I believe that the agreement restricted release of confidential/proprietary information. Since UPS is more involved in developing technology for business purposes,

They shoulda done that before we had the mass exodus to FDX and RPS. From what I understand in our area one of the ex UPS sups took all the pickup sheets out of the logs one Friday and sold it to RPS. Had all the contact information, number of pickup pieces picked up that week etc all in easy to read format.

Then add all the experience that our ex employees added to FDX and RPS when they both first started (yes there were drivers that went over to them, esp FDX when they first opened in our area, we lost 12 senior drivers to them in less than 8 months) and you have a real leg up on getting business away from UPS. All of these drivers (and management) could have retired at least 5 years, and in some cases 15 years ago had they stayed with UPS. But it was so bad at that time that making less and working longer was a better choice.

So yes, I can see where you have to sign a paper saying you will not leak secrets to the enemy, or we will sue you for all we can get.

Remember also, with rare exception it is not "UPS" that is a bitch to work for, it is the management that is above us that wants to make it a tough place to exist. In some cases that management is not all that bad and working conditions and the whole working environment are very much improved.

Take a driver that is not a team player, breaks all the rules so he can accomplish his personal goals, a driver whose people skills and personal integrity suck, and make him a manager. Send him to "people school" teach him all the tricks to get under the drivers skin while skirting the contract, and you see where the problem lies with many of our management team. And some of these stay awake at night dreaming up new ways to make life miserable for those under them.

But we have others that will bend over backward to help each driver, and as long as you give them an honest days work for a days pay, nothing ever gets said.

But I digress.

d

trickpony1

hmmmm, the score board now reads:

trickpony- 1
retiredone-0

...and by the way, these message boards are confined to a fairly small population. The release of a new book, which would probably hit the best sellers list, would have exposure to a much larger population.

your turn.

W

who me

dannyboy said:
Take a driver that is not a team player, breaks all the rules so he can accomplish his personal goals, a driver whose people skills and personal integrity suck, and make him a manager. Send him to "people school" teach him all the tricks to get under the drivers skin while skirting the contract, and you see where the problem lies with many of our management team. And some of these stay awake at night dreaming up new ways to make life miserable for those under them.

d
That is so true it's funny.

wkmac

I happen to know several retired management folks and one being my sup. for my first 10 or so years who retired in the mid 90's. I still see him often as he and his wife and I along with mine enjoy going to NASCAR events together. Ironically, at many races a now past IBT business agent will tailgate with us before and after the race and we do have a great time together. Several weeks ago a sort FT. supervisor I've known for years and that I worked with on our sort for the last 5 or 6 finally retired. On his last night I was on vacation but he was only going into work for a couple of hours and say his goodbyes and depart. He called me at home early that afternoon and said that he and his wife would enjoy it if my wife and I joind them for dinner that evening. We did as I considered that invite a huge honor. Again, great times and great conversations and I had no problem giving him a big hug goodbye.

In all cases where I know of retired managers many, many things are said and I have no doubt they are true and honest feelings that I respect and they are completely open about it. The main reason you may never hear them say anything especially negative is this thread to begin with for example. Maybe they are afraid those really honest comments will get way beyond the private conversation that they were intended to be. If a management person knows you'll respect the position they are in and can keep especially person opinions between the 2 of you, you'd be very surprised how open many of them can be and you'll also learn as I have that at the end of the day they are not that much different than yourself. They really are just people too!

JMO.

Now, do they say anything negative or is it all wine and roses through brown colored glasses?

I'll never tell!
:tt2:

trickpony1

Retiredone,

Gosh....
more name calling but no debate of any substance. I don't remember calling you any names or dispensing clinical assessment that I, unlike yourself, am not qualified to make.

I'm just guessing but I bet you were mid to high level management?

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Retired

Trick is really not a bad guy, he just has a one sided view of many things. Its hard to get the over all view needed in many situations while only looking in from one angle.

But he is very diligent in much of what he does, so dont throw out the baby with the bath water.

d

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Trick

Contrary to what some people might think, I dont have all the answers. I have opinions on just about everything, but opinions can change when presented with hard fact that can shed light on something that I believe to be wrong.

But for things I do have the answer to, like mailbox deliveries and hazmat leakings etc, there is only one way, that is follow the book. I have yet to see any driver suspended or fired for following the methods and safety instructions. But I have represented tons that think they can cut corners to try and save the company money. It rarely works that way, and when your ass is on the line, that you saved them money will never be addressed, only that over the years they have had to stay on your case for not following instructions.

So do the right thing. Follow instructions, methods, and hazmat rules. The life you better will be your own.

d

tieguy

Banned
trickpony1 said:
I think they have to sign some sort of confidentiality agreement when they first go into management saying they won't talk about it after they leave, perhaps for a certain length of time.
Ever notice there aren't many, if any, books written about one's experience with the company?
All the people I have seen that have left the company are quite happy. They smile and laugh alot and their facial expression indicate they are much less stressed.
What a coincidence.

No we do not have to sign something saying we won't say anything bad about the company.

UPS is a grind and from what I have seen all age younger when they leave.

tieguy

Banned
dannyboy said:
They shoulda done that before we had the mass exodus to FDX and RPS. From what I understand in our area one of the ex UPS sups took all the pickup sheets out of the logs one Friday and sold it to RPS. Had all the contact information, number of pickup pieces picked up that week etc all in easy to read format.

We've been signing the confidentiality agreement for quite a while now.

Then add all the experience that our ex employees added to FDX and RPS when they both first started (yes there were drivers that went over to them, esp FDX when they first opened in our area, we lost 12 senior drivers to them in less than 8 months) and you have a real leg up on getting business away from UPS. All of these drivers (and management) could have retired at least 5 years, and in some cases 15 years ago had they stayed with UPS. But it was so bad at that time that making less and working longer was a better choice.

So yes, I can see where you have to sign a paper saying you will not leak secrets to the enemy, or we will sue you for all we can get.

Remember also, with rare exception it is not "UPS" that is a bitch to work for, it is the management that is above us that wants to make it a tough place to exist. In some cases that management is not all that bad and working conditions and the whole working environment are very much improved.

But we have others that will bend over backward to help each driver, and as long as you give them an honest days work for a days pay, nothing ever gets said.

But I digress.

d

Danny could you do us managment types that actually try to work with our people a favor and maybe spend more time talking about them then the a-hole managers on your next post. :lol: