Why the Addison, IL hub rather than Hodgkins, IL?

BruceH

Hello,

I am always curious how packages are routed and so I enjoy following the tracking information. Historically, a package sent from the Northeast part of the country to Arizona would end up at the large hub in Hodgkins, IL and then get sent non stop to Phoenix, I suspect by rail.

I am tracking a package now that departed Massachusetts and about a day and a half later, the next entry was arriving at the UPS facility in Addison, IL, north of Hodgkins, but still in the Chicago area.

I am curious to why it went to Addison rather than the usual routine of going to the Hodgkins hub. Is Addison now a major distribution hub? I did read in another post that Addison was closed for a couple of years and underwent major upgrades. I guess a more general question is what is the difference in the two hubs? What determines where the package goes between the two facilities? Is Hodgkins at capacity and Addison handles the overflow?

The package as best I can tell is going normal UPS ground (no USPS) and is about a 16 inch long box weighing 8.6 lb.

Thanks for any general information.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Hello,

I am always curious how packages are routed and so I enjoy following the tracking information. Historically, a package sent from the Northeast part of the country to Arizona would end up at the large hub in Hodgkins, IL and then get sent non stop to Phoenix, I suspect by rail.

I am tracking a package now that departed Massachusetts and about a day and a half later, the next entry was arriving at the UPS facility in Addison, IL, north of Hodgkins, but still in the Chicago area.

I am curious to why it went to Addison rather than the usual routine of going to the Hodgkins hub. Is Addison now a major distribution hub? I did read in another post that Addison was closed for a couple of years and underwent major upgrades. I guess a more general question is what is the difference in the two hubs? What determines where the package goes between the two facilities? Is Hodgkins at capacity and Addison handles the overflow?

The package as best I can tell is going normal UPS ground (no USPS) and is about a 16 inch long box weighing 8.6 lb.

Thanks for any general information.

No info bet here’s some advice

Get a life

BruceH

Sorry that some lack a sense of curiosity. It is more than trivial. It takes a UPS package two or three days longer to arrive from the NE compared to FedEx and especially the USPS. If the use of Addison has improved the delivery time, then I would be more willing to choose a vendor shipping UPS and I would think that would be good for UPS.

Getting back to the original question, does anybody know about packages now going through Addison? Thanks.

WorkingAsDirected

Sorry that some lack a sense of curiosity. It is more than trivial. It takes a UPS package two or three days longer to arrive from the NE compared to FedEx and especially the USPS. If the use of Addison has improved the delivery time, then I would be more willing to choose a vendor shipping UPS and I would think that would be good for UPS.

Getting back to the original question, does anybody know about packages now going through Addison? Thanks.

Do not worry sir. Our best and brightest are on the situation
353-nyse-chimp.jpg

Box Ox

Is that the one who negotiated this mess of a new contract?

Yes. JH and DT put chimpanzees on the negotiating committee to streamline the Teamsters’ giveaway process. All non-chimps were swiftly kicked out after the apes on the committee decided how they wanted to do this thing.

Brown Now

Addison is a large hub, but no where near the size of CACH(Hodgkins hub). I can’t tell you why some go to Addison, but I suspect it’s the originating zip code that determines this. Addison has there own Feeder Drivers etc, just on a much much smaller scale then CACH.