Why UPS Need Not Fear Amazon

Orion inc.

I like turtles
The supermarket world just got put on notice.

Have you ever been in a Whole Foods? It's overpriced garbage for a niche market.

Amazon isn't going to put Kroger or Publix out of business with this.

The only way would be if they completely changed the concept of Whole Foods and their prices to serve many demographics.

And analysts don't think that's what they're going to do

oldngray

nowhere special
Because of us knuckleheads.
tumblr_n974rlpMVe1qdezf9o1_500.gif

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Yes and no.

Look for Amazon to add online order pickup kiosks at most if not all of the WF locations.

Why would they? They offer same day to two day prime shipping so unless they want to start warehousing every prime item at WF, that doesn't sound logical.

I'm sure they'll put amazon lockers outside but to turn WF into products hubs for their online business doesn't sound feasible. Why would the customer order something to ship to store in the same time frame or less they could ship to their home ?

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Why would they? They offer same day to two day prime shipping so unless they want to start warehousing every prime item at WF, that doesn't sound logical.

I'm sure they'll put amazon lockers outside but to turn WF into products hubs for their online business doesn't sound feasible. Why would the customer order something to ship to store in the same time frame or less they could ship to their home ?
I don't think it's about lockers either. Call me crazy, but when they buy a grocery store chain, I tend to think it's because they want to sell food.

Instacart, Blue Apron, Hello Fresh, Amazon Fresh, even Uber is getting into food delivery. It's a huge market that isn't going away. This puts Amazon closer to being able to deal with the last mile cost problem than any of their food delivery competitors.

Now long term who really knows how much this could help their non-food business. I don't know the logistics of the grocery store industry, but I'm pretty sure this isn't just a purchase of the stores consumers visit. I'd imagine Whole Foods already has a delivery and warehousing network set up to supply its stores that Amazon could utilize, and grow, for other things in the future.