Why Your Freight is Late

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
It's because the Express system is imploding. All of the mismanagement, DRA, and new hires combine to create a very dysfunctional operation. Sure, sometimes it's a mechanical on the aircraft or bad weather, but the frequency at which it's happening supports my theory. According to friends in MEM, it's fact, not just postulating.

More proof that Fred gets what he pays for, but the customers don't.

thedownhillEXPRESS

I love the look on peoples faces when they get that FO letter at 5 in the afternoon that cost 100 dollars to ship.
Sorry sir but we pretty much just run a straight line anymore.Lol.
Memphis management and all the engineers are jokes.
Pay people better and we might care.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I love the look on peoples faces when they get that FO letter at 5 in the afternoon that cost 100 dollars to ship.ity
Sorry sir but we pretty much just run a straight line anymore.Lol.
Memphis management and all the engineers are jokes.
Pay people better and we might care.

I'm surprised this thread went nowhere. We had 3 days of very late freight this week, and 1 day of late freight. I'm guessing other stations had a similar situation. It always amazes me that they expect higher numbers, even when the freight is consistently late. If you lop 45 mins off your window every day, how are you possibly going to do more, even if you wanted to?

El Morado Diablo

Our freight has been late every day, Tue thru Fri (and some Sat) for at least six weeks. Anywhere from 30 mins to 2 hours. Even so, we got a message from our Sr Mgr asking for us to push harder and tighten things up so we could make our on-road goals for the month. We were told P1 help would be eliminated if we couldn't make it happen. Ha! That non-existent P1 help doesn't do us much good when we start deliveries after the P1 cycle has ended.

hypo hanna

It's because the Express system is imploding. All of the mismanagement, DRA, and new hires combine to create a very dysfunctional operation. Sure, sometimes it's a mechanical on the aircraft or bad weather, but the frequency at which it's happening supports my theory. According to friends in MEM, it's fact, not just postulating.

More proof that Fred gets what he pays for, but the customers don't.

We have always had aircraft mechanicals and weather events. The difference is how we handle it. Before there was some built in flexibility to absorb the anomaly. There was an engaged respected workforce that would make up much of that lost time.

Doc Sorting Dude

When I look at my DRA printout in the morning, I joke to the guys that its a rare occasion if all your P1's or P2's are actually there. Those who want to follow DRA to a tee may want to make sure the package is there or they will be going to a stop and spending so much time looking for it only to find it didn't make it.

DontThrowPackages

I would like to know how they expect a driver, who's left the building with his numbers, to take on more stops I.E. late freight? I will say, before peak, lots of drivers were scared of only getting 35 hours a week after Dra. But nothing has changed. I remember my trainer tell me not to rely on an OT check. But I also remember an old guy saying they will never get rid of OT. Well, I really thought they would and they were off to a good start but now I realize, like the old guy, OT is here to stay. Whether by absorbing the rtes DRA creates or late freight, OT is here to stay.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
I think it's about time to remove all "The World On Time" decals from every Express vehicle. It's a joke.

Sent using BrownCafe App

!Retired!

Wednesday we left 45 minutes late and had 1:05 extra for P1's.
Friday we left 30 minutes late. yet we had a full disruption.
The only thing consistent is the inconsistencies.
or they will be going to a stop and spending so much time looking for it only to find it didn't make it.
Do they 'Disconnect from DEL manifest' after their done vanning? It'll tell you how many pieces you have for each stop.

FedExRookie

Wednesday we left 45 minutes late and had 1:05 extra for P1's.
Friday we left 30 minutes late. yet we had a full disruption.
The only thing consistent is the inconsistencies.

Do they 'Disconnect from DEL manifest' after their done vanning? It'll tell you how many pieces you have for each stop.

Your extra minutes are based on how late the last truck is.

So lets says your sort is suppose to be done at 0800 and your last truck is scheduled to be there at 0730.

So on a normal day

Truck: 0730
Sort Down: 0800

Lets use the following information:

Truck: 0745
Sort Down: 0810

The truck was fifteen minutes late, and sort went down 10 minutes late, so you now have 10 more minutes to get P1 done.

Let say,

Truck: 0750
Sort Down: 0825

The truck was 20 minutes late, sort went down 25 minutes late, so you have 20 minutes (10:40) to get P1 done.

FedEx will still lose the $$ if the customer goes through the appropriate process, but you can still hit your numbers past 10:30.

fedupforsure

I just boggles my mind when our resident maroon MT111 tells us we must do our p1 first even on late frt days. When you do a 10 hr rt you can not possibly do p1 till 1100 or later and still get all your p2 off and get to your pickups on time. This gets even harder when you add in dra and your rt is not even close to your pickups. Being set up to fail is very frustrating

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I just boggles my mind when our resident maroon MT111 tells us we must do our p1 first even on late frt days. When you do a 10 hr rt you can not possibly do p1 till 1100 or later and still get all your p2 off and get to your pickups on time. This gets even harder when you add in dra and your rt is not even close to your pickups. Being set up to fail is very frustrating

Work as directed. Don't stress. Let management worry about how to make it happen. That's what they get paid to do, not you. You are only paid to pick up and deliver packages. The sooner you realize this and accept it the more peaceful your life is.

HomeDelivery

:zombismiley: blech, sounds bad that management can't get it together; i can't fathom to be set up to fail on a daily basis

& it's not even peak season... no wonder the Express guys i was bumping into during peak were pissed off

I think it's about time to remove all "The World On Time" decals from every Express vehicle. It's a joke.
:goodpost:

--------------------------------------------
who's idea was to downgrade your stepvans to the freightliners?

i'm glad my contractor got rid of the freightliners & boxvans & bought the easier/cheaper-to-maintain ford E350/450 gasser stepvans

the past sat, i had about a 10 hour planned day & w/ the ease of exiting/entering the stepvan, i was done in 7...

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
It's beyond frustrating. MT3 has no idea how to run a route, let alone one that's in an a extended area. I'm sure he has no idea that it's also that much harder to get to your pickups on time leaving the building late. Memphis makes stupid decisions left and right but the couriers are suppose to fix it all? The current upper mis-management all needs to go.

Last edited:

Pimpedoutatjgx

Totally frustrating and now I just don't give damn. With these 1100-1130 extensions I'm constantly having to del a bulk aerospace del last because it's the only way to ensure all the other p1 (covering 3 areas) will be "on time". They'd ask why it's late and id try to explain about the lt frt/weather, blah blah and of course they don't want to hear it. Often times they would say "1030 rt on time!" As I pull in at 11. They saw my give a damn and now they're just used to it. Pathetic. Meanwhile they're still cutting rtes, sending ppl home or ppl hanging out with nothing to do while we're all dying... No wonder I have an attitude. Screw u Fred.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Totally frustrating and now I just don't give damn. With these 1100-1130 extensions I'm constantly having to del a bulk aerospace del last because it's the only way to ensure all the other p1 (covering 3 areas) will be "on time". They'd ask why it's late and id try to explain about the lt frt/weather, blah blah and of course they don't want to hear it. Often times they would say "1030 rt on time!" As I pull in at 11. They saw my give a damn and now they're just used to it. Pathetic. Meanwhile they're still cutting rtes, sending ppl home or ppl hanging out with nothing to do while we're all dying... No wonder I have an attitude. Screw u Fred.

Well said.