Why???????????

over9five

Staff member
I remember we would all (management and drivers) go out for dinner on the company's dime to plan Peak.

They would also give out awards for things like "Rookie of the Year".

Sigh.

old levi's

blank space
Not to side track here but your comment reminded me of something that happened the other day. There is a bit of detail here.

Monday, I was told that I had to call our center manager before going out on road. I called, it went to his voice mail. I wasn't fast enough getting out of the yard and ended up having to talk to him anyway. (CRAP!! :dissapointed: ) The jist of the conversation was HIS SIDE- that I was the worst one in the (center or district - don't remember, don't care) for sheeting 'missed'. MY SIDE- get preload to not have any misloads.

At this point I have decided that if he is going to be all over my ass for sheeting 'missed' (BTW- I have to call him now if I have ANYTHING 'missed') I am going to be all over his ass for misloads. So my mission this week has been a successful one. I've had a crap load of misloads.

Wednesday morning I had 3 misloads of which I informed him of EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM!!!! The 3rd one (of course I made sure that each misload was handled with due diligence, INDIVIDUALLY) I get a message back from him, "Let the office know, I'm on a conference call." I LMFAO!!! I sure hope he regretted his conference with me on Monday morning! :surprised:

Now, wtf is it that we have to be available at their beck and call but when we need them they are NOWHERE to be found. :angry:
Every morning ask center manager what is being done to correct the misload problem. Be a bigger PITA than this sumbeach. Write down your misloads on a pad of paper as they occur and ask center manager the next morning to initial beside each one!

Last edited:

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Local management does.

The term "local management" is an oxymoron. To refer to someone as a "manager" is to imply that they have the ability to make an operational decision. In todays UPS, the "local management" that we drivers have access to are merely corporate sock puppets who read PCM's and rubber-stamp warning letters. The actual decision-makers of todays UPS would not deign to speak to a mere driver, they send their sock-puppets in to do the talking and take the heat for them. Its a lot easier to screw people over when you dont have to look them in the eye while you are doing it.

soberups

I remember going through packages designated for rural remote areas (even though they were suburban area) and taking them out for delivery because they were meds or perishable items

We did the same thing.

The other thing we did was to sheet the send-agains and clerk packages as "remote" before we turned them in to the clerks at night in order to help our local management meet their "remote" quota for the day. The reality of the situation meant nothing as long as they met their quota and looked good on the daily report.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My management team would love to get us on the road earlier. They all know that FedEx Ground has at least a 1-2 hour head start on us each day. They have no control over this as we are the last stop for feeders out of Albany and Syracuse as well as for the air.

soberups

!! :dissapointed: ) The jist of the conversation was HIS SIDE- that I was the worst one in the (center or district - don't remember, don't care) for sheeting 'missed'.for misloads.

Translation; he could care less whether the packages actually get delivered or not, he only cares that you are sheeting them as missed and causing them to show up on his report.

He cant come out and say it, of course,but the reality is that he would rather that you didnt sheet them at all. That way, they dont show up on his report.

I remember real PCM`s to the center that conveyed real messages.
I remember a on-car sup I respect to this day who after listening to my rant about the retail route I had just inherited being a jumbled cluster-friend handed me a blank load chart and said "You know what your doing. Lay it out the way you want it."
I remember management with actually time in a package car before they could be promoted.
I remember the time in my pkg career when someone said to take the time during you day to talk to your customers.

I miss the company I wanted to work for.

soberups

I miss the company I wanted to work for.

I remember when we were a first-rate delivery company instead of a second-rate one.

I remember being proud to be a UPS driver, and knowing that we were the best.

I remember not having to constantly apologize to our customers. I remember not having to constantly invent new excuses for the complete and total incompetence with which we are now managed.

Unless there is a profound and fundamental change to our current style of management in the very near future....I am afraid we are going to go under as a company. We have always been more expensive than FedEx or the post office...but we also put a better product out there. The customers got what they were paying for. Now all they get from us is second-rate service, a bunch of sh%tty excuses, and a bigger bill. Something has to change or we are done.

old levi's

blank space
The term "local management" is an oxymoron. To refer to someone as a "manager" is to imply that they have the ability to make an operational decision. In todays UPS, the "local management" that we drivers have access to are merely corporate sock puppets who read PCM's and rubber-stamp warning letters. The actual decision-makers of todays UPS would not deign to speak to a mere driver, they send their sock-puppets in to do the talking and take the heat for them. Its a lot easier to screw people over when you dont have to look them in the eye while you are doing it.
Stealth screwing!

I remember when we were a first-rate delivery company instead of a second-rate one.

I remember not having to constantly apologize to our customers. I remember not having to constantly invent new excuses for the complete and total incompetence with which we are now managed.

Unless there is a profound and fundamental change to our current style of management in the very near future....I am afraid we are going to go under as a company. We have always been more expensive than FedEx or the post office...but we also put a better product out there. The customers got what they were paying for. Now all they get from us is second-rate service, a bunch of sh%tty excuses, and a bigger bill. Something has to change or we are done.
email this to corporate this man and his beautiful writing style + mind is almost word for word & thought for thought how I feel. I'm just not smart Enough to type it. This guys posts just keep bringing me back to the brown cafe.

email this to corporate this man and his beautiful writing style + mind is almost word for word & thought for thought how I feel. I'm just not smart Enough to type it. This guys posts just keep bringing me back to the brown cafe.

Plus Sober`s really dreamy too!:blushing2:

All Day

I remember when drivers covered the same area every day....................now you never really know where or when some area's will get delivered.

Integrity

Binge Poster

soberups,

The profound and fundamental change that is needed is quite simple, but very hard.

Work with Integrity and not against Him.

If each and every employee of a corporation made a radical committment to Integrity there would be a monumental revival.

Sincerely,
I

The Blackadder

Are you not amused?
Why did ups have to go public? I remember when this was a semi nice place to work. Damm it I remember when this was a great environment. I guess greed changed things. What kind of fun stuff do you remember before we went public and this places atmosphere was way different.

MONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Packmule

Did seem like local management actually had more authority to make local decisions. Still seemed like dispatch was as bad then as now.

trouble maker

This sums it up to a tee. Everyone in my building feels the same way. It's almost like this company wants to lose bussiness in some sick way. They should have remained private, the way Jim Casey wanted it. I can hear him clawing at his coffin as we speak.