WI Gubernatorial Recall Election

bbsam

Staff member
It could just be the people want their state's budget to be more balanced and don't want to be bankrupted by the public unions and their demands on the state's coffers. Money or no money,that was the 'idea' they voted for.
That is a possibility. But then tell me. Why spend all the money on it? If it's that easy, why the 7-1 margin? Are rich people just stupid?

bbsam

Staff member
The one observation of this article that I would totally discount is the Pro-Obama
... last night’s electorate favored the president over Mitt Romney by a significant margin, 52 percent to 43 percent. It’s a smaller margin than 2008, where he won the state by 14 points, but it’s a solid performance, and a sign that — in reality — Wisconsin is less vulnerable than it looks. Indeed, as of last night, President Obama’s Wisconsin effort is in great shape, and conservatives should temper their view of their chances in the state ...
Walker was being ousted yesterday by the same exit polls yet he retained office handily.
Wisconsin may be in Obama's corner but not by 14 points.

Another thing, I think people are trying to make this a "hate Unions" vote but that is wrong on 2 counts:
1) Walker only curtailed the powers of Government Employee Union powers. Even FDR did not like Government Employee Unions.
2) As barnyard said in an earlier post, "60% of voters said that recalls should be used only in the case of misconduct. 10% say recalls are never appropriate.

Trying to discern anything other than the fact that Walker retained his job, is really a shot in the dark.

I like the idea that the voters seemed to be feeding the pollsters a line of crap.

Where does it say Obama by 14 points? That was in '08, wasn't it? And if that is the case and he is ahead by 7 points now, then you wouldn't really "totally discount" that paragraph, would you?

barnyard

KTM rider
The editorial was trying to explain why so many voters appear to be pro Obama/pro Walker. The author theorizes that many voters are actually pro Obama/anti recall.

It will be interesting to see if in the lead up to the national election if Romney or Obama campaign in Wisconsin.

There were 4 or 5 other editorials linked on editorial that I linked. Lots of interesting reading.

over9five

Staff member
The editorial was trying to explain why so many voters appear to be pro Obama/pro Walker. The author theorizes that many voters are actually pro Obama/anti recall.

WOW, there's some spin! What liberal news outlet said that with a straight face? "You see, the voters kept Walker because they love Obama. Yeah.......that's the ticket...they really don't like Walker, but they kept him because they do like Obama".

bbsam

Staff member
WOW, there's some spin! What liberal news outlet said that with a straight face? "You see, the voters kept Walker because they love Obama. Yeah.......that's the ticket...they really don't like Walker, but they kept him because they do like Obama".

You didn't read Hoaxster's post, did you?

moreluck

golden ticket member
What about the polling of the citizens who were pissed because Obama was so close and avoided them like the plague. They were wanting him to come and do a "rah, rah" for the Dem. candidate.

Will they now feel betrayed and not vote for B.O.?

Last edited:

over9five

Staff member
Yes. You missed the polling data from the article that I linked.
Ah, I see now. So they're saying basically 70% just plain ol' wouldn't recall anyone unless they really did something wrong. I wonder if 70% are: A - Smart enough to do that, and B - WILLING enough to stand by that philosophy when they have the opportunity to get rid of someone they don't like.
If that's true, I'm glad we have 70% like that.

barnyard

KTM rider
What about the polling of the citizens who were pissed because Obama was so close and avoided them like the plague. They wee wanting him to come and do a "rah, rah" for the Dem. candidate.

Will they now feel betrayed and not vote for B.O.?

If I was on BO's campaign committee and saw the polling data that said 70% of Wisconsin voters did not think this recall was appropriate, I would have told him to stay away from Wisconsin too. The governor was not guilty of official misconduct, just poor communication.

I suspect that the 70% that felt the recall was wrong, appreciate the fact that BO stayed out of the race. Unfortunately, super pacs could not.

barnyard

KTM rider
Ah, I see now. So they're saying basically 70% just plain ol' wouldn't recall anyone unless they really did something wrong. I wonder if 70% are: A - Smart enough to do that, and B - WILLING enough to stand by that philosophy when they have the opportunity to get rid of someone they don't like.
If that's true, I'm glad we have 70% like that.

It is possible that we will find out. Currently, Walker is under investigation for activities when he was the Milwaukee county administrator (I cannot remember his title). If he is brought up on charges and found guilty, another recall could result. If that happens, I would also be very interested to see if that 60% vote the guy out of office.

over9five

Staff member
It is possible that we will find out. Currently, Walker is under investigation for activities when he was the Milwaukee county administrator (I cannot remember his title). If he is brought up on charges and found guilty, another recall could result. If that happens, I would also be very interested to see if that 60% vote the guy out of office.
And are they interested in in spending another 18 million dollars (cost of a recall election) of taxpayer money? For ME, I'd leave him to finish out his term and let the voters decide in a normal election.

barnyard

KTM rider
And are they interested in in spending another 18 million dollars (cost of a recall election) of taxpayer money? For ME, I'd leave him to finish out his term and let the voters decide in a normal election.

Unless he is convicted of misconduct. Theoretically, a fiscal conservative would recognize the folly of fighting for the office and resign, allowing the Lt Gov to finish the term, saving the state the cost of a recall.

Regarding the cost of this recall........

It was silly for the opposition to follow through, but they did and by law, they followed the requirements to trigger a recall. We either follow the law or not. I prefer that we follow the law.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Barney Frank was saying on the loss....he would pick his battles much better ....gee, did he say that before the results? I can't remember.

ajblakejr

Age quod agis

County Executive

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
All I know is from spending a few days in WI, before the election, 7 to one banners saying we stand with Scott Walker, to the ones that said recall Walker.
And no we are not next, we are private. The only ones who can change our contract is UPS or The Teamsters.
Seriously why shouldnt they contribute to it?. Especially when some taxpayers dont even have a pension fund. So those taxpayers money should go to fund others and not their own?
I have no problem with them getting what they can from their bargaining unit. The reason we get raises or dont have give backs, is becuase UPS makes money, tons of it. And we make it for them. Government employees, bargain for more when the taxpayers are hurting. There is no money. Its pretty simple to me. Yea Id be real mad if the gravy train I had grown used to shriveled up, but all had to know it was only a matter of time.
The same thing was tried in Ohio,by John Kasich, I believe it was called sb 70. It got shot down. Guess we will see which state does better now.