Will a new 22.4 driver gain seniority over a pre loader?

542thruNthru

Is that fact?
tenor-111.gif

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
My building is just now talking about implementing 22.4s. I am currently on the pre load and am not sure if I want to drive yet. I definitely will eventually, but was planning on waiting another year or 2.

If someone else from my preload, who had less seniority than me takes the 22.4 position, will they have a seniority date over me when I decide to drive in a year or so? Worried if I don’t drive now, I will slowly be bumped down.
Why would you wait?

Brownslave688

That’s what I was afraid of, I’ll have to see if that’s how it works here. I wasn’t sure if it was the same everywhere or not.

My plan was to wait to drive until I could get a full time bid. I’m at about 7 years part time right now. Without the 22.4 coming in, it could/would have easily been 10+ years in before I had to go driving.
But for the reason to wait, I guess I wanted to have another summer or 2 til I commit to it. I have another part time job that pays a bit more than my pre load rate. So financially, I’d be fine to keep doing what I’m doing.
7 years in and know nothing. Sad

Brownslave688

And you know these alleged facts, how?

Ever think maybe a person has a medical condition, another job to go to, has to watch his kids or whatever reason he doesn't want to or can't become a driver?? To just assume that a person doesn't want to go full time so they can do what you're accusing them of, is pretty damn asinine.

Damn struck a nerve huh.

There room in moms basement for me?

Heavy Package

My building is just now talking about implementing 22.4s. I am currently on the pre load and am not sure if I want to drive yet. I definitely will eventually, but was planning on waiting another year or 2.

Honest advice -If you know you definitely want to drive, start driving and get a FT position ASAP. If it's a 22.4 position so be it. Here's why:

1. FT trumps PT seniority in almost all cases
2. FT Pension and benefits
3. More money
4. Contract will be renegotiated in 2 years and who in the hell knows what the "new deal" will be
5. More bid opportunities for feeders and to bid on new routes / centers when they open up

Yolo

That’s what I was afraid of, I’ll have to see if that’s how it works here. I wasn’t sure if it was the same everywhere or not.

My plan was to wait to drive until I could get a full time bid. I’m at about 7 years part time right now. Without the 22.4 coming in, it could/would have easily been 10+ years in before I had to go driving.
But for the reason to wait, I guess I wanted to have another summer or 2 til I commit to it. I have another part time job that pays a bit more than my pre load rate. So financially, I’d be fine to keep doing what I’m doing.

A 22.4 is ft. Working two jobs is :censored2:ty. Balancing the two schedules. If you are positive you want to go into driving you might as well go now.

Top rate for 22.4 is around. $34/hr now. After you finish your progression it's probably going to be pretty close to $40. While it's less that RPCD. It's still a pretty good check.

Last edited:

Unknown1234

If someone else from my preload, who had less seniority than me takes the 22.4 position, will they have a seniority date over me when I decide to drive in a year or so? Worried if I don’t drive now, I will slowly be bumped down.
In my building your company seniority trumps whether you’re part time or full-time. “John” has 5 yrs company seniority he became a 22.4 driver January 2020. “Jimmy” has 16 yrs company seniority he became a driver in January 2021. When RPCD position opened up it was given to “Jimmy” even though John had more 22.4 seniority. If you’re not a driver by the time RCPD becomes available you’ll lose on that opportunity since you have to be a 22.4 to be able to bid on it.

Roller252

In my building your company seniority trumps whether you’re part time or full-time. “John” has 5 yrs company seniority he became a 22.4 driver January 2020. “Jimmy” has 16 yrs company seniority he became a driver in January 2021. When RPCD position opened up it was given to “Jimmy” even though John had more 22.4 seniority. If you’re not a driver by the time RCPD becomes available you’ll lose on that opportunity since you have to be a 22.4 to be able to bid on it.
Sure hope "John" files on this one.
Change in job classification can also move a person to a new seniority list. (i.e. vacation)

Around here we use by both center and driver seniority.

In your example "Jimmy" has had his chance for 16yrs and would have been offered the 22.4 position ahead of "John" in 2020.
He turned that down so it fell eventually to "John" who made the move to friend/t driver and joined the driver seniority list.

A year later 2021 and another 22.4 position comes open. For whatever reason this time "Jimmy" says yes and takes the job.
He is now a friend/t driver moves onto the driver seniority list and is one year behind "John"

"John" now has driver seniority over "Jimmy" and will select routes and driver vacation ahead of him.

When the next RPCD bid comes open it will be offered to existing 22.4 drivers in driver seniority order and go to "John" first.

Wontmake9.5

My job is fun
22.5 is basically jist another step they added before rpcd... partime to 22.4 to rpcd... as mention of a rpcd postion opens it goes to a 22.4 not to a partimer with more seniority

542thruNthru

Sure hope "John" files on this one.
Change in job classification can also move a person to a new seniority list. (i.e. vacation)

Around here we use by both center and driver seniority.

In your example "Jimmy" has had his chance for 16yrs and would have been offered the 22.4 position ahead of "John" in 2020.
He turned that down so it fell eventually to "John" who made the move to friend/t driver and joined the driver seniority list.

A year later 2021 and another 22.4 position comes open. For whatever reason this time "Jimmy" says yes and takes the job.
He is now a friend/t driver moves onto the driver seniority list and is one year behind "John"

"John" now has driver seniority over "Jimmy" and will select routes and driver vacation ahead of him.

When the next RPCD bid comes open it will be offered to existing 22.4 drivers in driver seniority order and go to "John" first.
He'd lose that grievance here.

542thruNthru

Not here, he had his chance to go driving and passed it up, now he wants to whine about it but it's a new (different) job classification.
FT trumps PT.
I disagree with this mentality. He's putting in his time to get the position he wants. Maybe his family life won't allow a T-S schedule. Should he be stuck as PT forever because of it?

What about a 22.4 off the street hire with 6 months seniority. Is it right that he goes RPCD before a 5 year PTer who has to wait for a 22.4 position?

I understand your supplemental language and FT Trump's PT. I just don't agree with it when being promoted to RPCD.