Will ask ----Must tell !!!

bbsam

Staff member
It is absolutely the place for the civilian leadership to make this call. If it is up to the civilian leadership to decide on age requirements, whether to institute a draft, size and deployment of forces, it is up to them to decide what constitutes a legitimat candidate. With all the Western forces who have openly gay soldiers serving honorably and with little detriment to the mission, this policy has been proven foolish and unnecessary in it's denial of highly qualified individuals in positions vital to the defense of the United States. It is up to the military to salute, make it happen, and get over any personal objections they may have.

tourists24

It is absolutely the place for the civilian leadership to make this call. If it is up to the civilian leadership to decide on age requirements, whether to institute a draft, size and deployment of forces, it is up to them to decide what constitutes a legitimat candidate. With all the Western forces who have openly gay soldiers serving honorably and with little detriment to the mission, this policy has been proven foolish and unnecessary in it's denial of highly qualified individuals in positions vital to the defense of the United States. It is up to the military to salute, make it happen, and get over any personal objections they may have.
If you can prove to me it will be done with little detriment to the mission, then I'll be on board.... I just know that in my unit it wouldve been a problem... Not with the person itself... but with the politics of it...
You can say its up to the military to salute as if nothing is happening.,,,, but there is... There is no room for politics in these cases

tourists24

If I were in the military and announced that I was heterosexual, would I get kicked out?
My point exactly Over,,,, no need for you to announce any sexuality.... that's not what you are serving for.... and in my unit "yes"; there were straight people getting into trouble for their stupidity. Forcing soldiers to listen to political rhetoric is not needed.... Keep your sex life separate and man the battle line

bbsam

Staff member
If you can prove to me it will be done with little detriment to the mission, then I'll be on board.... I just know that in my unit it wouldve been a problem... Not with the person itself... but with the politics of it...
You can say its up to the military to salute as if nothing is happening.,,,, but there is... There is no room for politics in these cases

Why should the US military be different than the German, Israeli, Britain, and Canadian armies in this respect? The rest of the "coalition of the willing" doesn't seem to start marching in peticoats and pink berets. We integrated the forces racially; this shouldn't be a big thing.

tieguy

Banned
I just don't see a problem. Young people today care a lot less about this stuff, and they are the ones joining the military. For all the fuss that's being made about it, once the policy is changed it will be pretty much a non-issue.

your probably right. Its not that big a deal with todays kids. When you think about it they are the ones that have to live with whatever policy is enacted.

I agree that a person's sexuality is not as big a deal as it once was, however not everyone is on board with that line of thought even with the younger generation. Yes, there are still people that hate homosexuality, there are still those that believe it is spiritually wrong. For this reason I believe the policy should be, "Don't ask? It's none of your business".
Of course if the policy is changed there will be some problems, but problems can and should be addressed immediately. Hopefully, we as a nation, we will continue to grow together. The policy that should be changed is that gays can be discharged for anything that a straight soldier can't be.

Tie, is absolutely right on how the military wants the troops to be be troops, not individual soldiers.

fxdwg

Long Time Member
Article 125 of the UCMJ has specific language regarding Gay behaviour. There is also language regarding "Self incrimination" that "Ask/Tell" may have someassociation with. This is not an easy subject, but for Unit integrity, Gays should probably not serve or disclose their sexual preferences. For their own safety and to minimize distractions and issues at a Unit level.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Gee, same city that said Bush ws guilty of war crimes.............backward burg!!

KUALA LUMPUR: Gay

television characters can be a mode to tolerance and understanding, say Malaysia’s LGBT community. But the government disagrees, and they barred gay television characters from being shown on the country’s airwaves last month, in a move that has activists frustrated that the government is pushing the conservative tide against the community.

“We are facing an uphill battle for acceptance and this ruling will do a lot to continue negative stereotypes of the gay community in Malaysia,” lesbian activist Anita told Bikyamasr.com.

She added that culture is “a strong part of Malaysian society and to not allow gay characters on television will be a negative push toward alienating gay people who are simply wanting to live their lives,” she added, saying a number of activists are petitioning the culture ministry to change its policy.

The ongoing debate stems from the information department overseeing television in the country decision in April to ban TV shows that show gay characters.

The country’s Culture Minister Datuk Maglin Dennis D’Cruz made the decision last month, despite protests from