Will Layoffs Signal The End Of P-S-P?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
While FedEx has never had an official "No-Layoff" policy, it has been an essential part of the company's P-S-P philosophy. In my humble opinion, layoffs are on the way after peak this year, and I'm wondering how management is going to explain it away without violating the sacred P-S-P, which is still the mantra of most corporate communications. Those of us who have been around a while know that P-S-P really should be P-P-P (Profit-Profit-Profit), but the company has tied itself so tightly to it, how can they abandon it without looking even worse than they already do to the rank and file?

DeputyDip

Backwoods Hillbilly
While FedEx has never had an official "No-Layoff" policy, it has been an essential part of the company's P-S-P philosophy. In my humble opinion, layoffs are on the way after peak this year, and I'm wondering how management is going to explain it away without violating the sacred P-S-P, which is still the mantra of most corporate communications. Those of us who have been around a while know that P-S-P really should be P-P-P (Profit-Profit-Profit), but the company has tied itself so tightly to it, how can they abandon it without looking even worse than they already do to the rank and file?

Given the reality of worldwide economic conditions, they could care less about the rank and file's viewpoint on matters.

They may not have laid anyone off but I knew some driver who were out right fired for not kissing blue ass so I guess thats their way around it.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
From what I know about Fed-Ex they wont lay anyone off, but just cut your hours back. They seem to have this push to only have part time employees to save on the liability of full-timers. So instead of being just layed off so you can collect unemployment you will just have no hours and be forced to quit and find a new job. Sounds like a real family oriented outfit. Good Luck!

Catatonic

Nine Lives
In case you don't know what PSP stands for:
At FedEx, the guiding principle is People-Service-Profit, whereby the company takes care of its people, who provide service to customers, who return profit. That principle works as both management and employee actions are guided by a variety of measured processes designed to ensure growth and performance.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Or a Catholic priest and an altar boy.

Good one. I've felt like Fred's altar boy for a long time. Maybe P-S-P actually means Priests Screwing People. The idea that they will cut hours to the point where you have to quit does sound like a PSP solution. Anything to avoid paying unemployment is a FedEx way of life.

Last edited:

FedEx All the Way!

And only your humble opinion! Are you sitting on Santa's lap to know?:future:

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
And only your humble opinion! Are you sitting on Santa's lap to know?:future:

Sorry to disappoint you, but that's not my persuasion. The Catholic priest analogy, however, is a particularly appropriate one for Fred, because he enjoys that method with his employees, and he's too cheap to pay for any lube. Like I said, he's not a good guy. He'd sell his Mom if it put more money in his pockets.

If you sat on Santa's lap, his pelvis would turn to powder.