Winter is coming - Be Safe

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Was it the size that only the following drivers can squeeze thru?

PICTURE-OF-munchkins_555.jpg

or was it a full length one with a working bulkhead door?

I am 6' tall and had to bend down a bit to walk thru but it sure beat the hell out of going around back at each stop.

MC0493

Is peak season... I meant up to 14 hour days.

I'm averaging 11~12 hour days though for the 6 day workweek

Package count can be as low as 95 & as high as 150 , just depends on the size of my boxes. mileage on my rural route is a min 120 ~ 160 miles daily

I guess having a Ford budget rental truck has it's perks. I'm limited to not getting too many stops & the rental place does the maintenance. heater diverted to the floor keeps my feet toasty
95-150 packages? What do you do all day? I'm running like 120-130 miles and 300-400+ packages depending on the day.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
U of all people should know that each route is different... I have about 45 % of my rural route down some long dirt driveways or "access roads"

That's why I gave up my sweet spot of my route to a newbie, to save space for the customers who are smart enough to buy their big irregular items to be shipped to their homes.

And no one else wanna tackle my route since I replaced a dq'ed driver since June... I tried even asking some customers in the area to join team eggplant, but they too don't want to take the truck home when they're done.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
ahhhh, one of those guys! We have a few of those. I don't get it all; nothing looks goofier than some nutcase running around in winter parka and shorts. :laugh:

What is up with that anyway? It can't possibly be comfortable. :mellow:
You can do like some do at my station and wear leggings with your shorts. It's a great look.....not.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
You can do like some do at my station and wear leggings with your shorts. It's a great look.....not.
I guess those are to hide the goosebumps!
I remember one station I was at eons ago where the senior imposed a mandatory "no shorts" policy during the cold weather months. Reason given: "we don't want customers thinking we're idiots". I respected that. But that was years ago, back in Federal Express days, and the company obviously has long since given a ratsass what customers think of us now anyway.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I guess those are to hide the goosebumps!
I remember one station I was at eons ago where the senior imposed a mandatory "no shorts" policy during the cold weather months. Reason given: "we don't want customers thinking we're idiots". I respected that. But that was years ago, back in Federal Express days, and the company obviously has long since given a ratsass what customers think of us now anyway.
Agreed. We have guys wearing scruffy beards, ponytails, gauges. People wearing scarves on their heads, tights and the pièce de résistance.... two people who will be wearing red and white striped knee high socks with their shorts the week before Christmas. One of the two will be wearing a red sweat shirt with an elf's body on it.

dezguy

A ramp I used to work at featured a handler who wore shorts year round. -25? Still warm enough for shorts.

How he didn't catch pneumonia or get sick from exposure is beyond me.

OrioN

That's just plain ghey if a dude does that...

Wait, aren't we supposed to wear FedEx logos socks with shorts like UPS?

1425632_z.jpg

Man, they're fugly and overpriced compared to UPS socks...

OrioN

Like another member said, if yo twig n berries starts to freeze, u been moving at and ontrac or lasership pace.

Side benefit if your snowballs n popsicle freeze on route, free birth control & you can hang them on the tree after peak

MassWineGuy

Are those socks for real?

Re: Long driveways: don't drive or back into a long, snowy/icy driveway if you think there's any chance of getting stuck. Nor should you walk it if you're going fall and break your neck. I've seen long unplowed roads and driveways and wondered how the people there get in and out. Let 'em pick their stuff up at the station.

bacha29

Are those socks for real?

Re: Long driveways: don't drive or back into a long, snowy/icy driveway if you think there's any chance of getting stuck. Nor should you walk it if you're going fall and break your neck. I've seen long unplowed roads and driveways and wondered how the people there get in and out. Let 'em pick their stuff up at the station.
I understand completely what you go through . Those unpaved township roads and private lanes. It snows on ground that isn't frozen the melts into that 3/4 to 1 inch thick layer of ice that doesn't thaw until March. The on top of it they stick those places up on side hills so steep that you're looking down the neighbor's chimney. then being out there in those damned step vans. It's a suicide mission. I saw on the national weather map this AM what the Great Lakes snow belt region is in for. Good luck. Peak is hard enough but when the weather doesn't hold it's a thousand times worse.