Wish they'd printed on softer paper....

john346

No more Brown!
Damage-Package.jpgHas anyone else had to deal with this latest (to our center), peice of crap? I signed off on the first two paragraphs, but then put a disclaimer on mine that this falls directly on the responsibility of the preloader, and that I would NOT accept any claims or liabilities for packages sent to me or on my car that fell within these paramiters.
I also turned in my tape gun with the partially signed form. Anybody else tired of these little crap forms that they want to drop in your file, waiting for a problem to arise & then "Shazam!" they pull it from your file in hopes to hang you? This is so similar to the stuff that comes out of the south end of a north-bound chicken.
Damage-Package.jpg

john346

No more Brown!
I had another driver tell me that he "did as directed" regarding a leaking package that he didn't know what it was, and was generating fumes on area. He did the procedure we have to sign off on every month, by securing the car, leaving the area & notifying a supervisor. He told me that he thought the sup was going to fire him on the spot. Just another case of do as I say, not as I do. I made about fifty copies (to cover me for a week), of this form, & intend to put one copy on each package I return to the center that falls within the guidelines. I've already sent in about 10, last week. Oh yea, I'm making me some friends!

Jim Kemp

I would never sign that. As a matter of fact the only thing I sign is the DVR and the cod turn in.
I amazes me to see drivers sign for High values, I have seen a driver sign for a pkg they claimed was $100,000.. I told him he was crazy.

DS

Fenderbender
SD, this form makes you accountable for something damaged in transit.How can you tell if the contents of the pkg are not damaged?Obviously your truck is not full from front to back with over 70's piled on top of boxes clearly marked fragile,that show up in the irregs after they get the belt clean.I would NEVER sign that.As usual though its the flavor of the month and we have a similar form for late air,which I also refuse to sign.I do agree about the tape gun though.
By the time you deliver a pkg about 40 people have handled it,I refuse to be responsible for thier lack of dedication.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
This is another typical case of a deskbound genius who has a bright idea and writes a memo. I just toss crap like this in the trash.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The question that I ask myself is, "Would I want this package delivered to my house? If I feel comfortable that the answer is "yes" then I deliver it; if not, I sheet as such and bring it back to the center. And, yes, my tape gun is my best friend on the road. My preloader, who is perhaps the best in the bldg and will be going driving by the end of the month, keeps an eye out for potential damages and has no problem either keeping them out for my inspection or sending them down the belt to be re-wrapped or RTSd if need be.

We are the last line of defense regarding delivering damaged pkgs. Damaged contents in an otherwise good pack are beyond our control but we have all seen the size 12 footprint smack dab in the middle of a picture frame.

To me, this form is not necessary as we should all be doing what is outlined on the form on a daily basis and I would have no problem signing it as is.

The question that I ask myself is, "Would I want this package delivered to my house? If I feel comfortable that the answer is "yes" then I deliver it; if not, I sheet as such and bring it back to the center. And, yes, my tape gun is my best friend on the road. My preloader, who is perhaps the best in the bldg and will be going driving by the end of the month, keeps an eye out for potential damages and has no problem either keeping them out for my inspection or sending them down the belt to be re-wrapped or RTSd if need be.

We are the last line of defense regarding delivering damaged pkgs. Damaged contents in an otherwise good pack are beyond our control but we have all seen the size 12 footprint smack dab in the middle of a picture frame.

To me, this form is not necessary as we should all be doing what is outlined on the form on a daily basis and I would have no problem signing it as is.
You can kiss your blessed, rosey life goodbye now. :knockedout:New hire preloaders are not trained like they used to be.:sick:
I use you self question to determine if I deliver a less than perfect condition package also. Pretty good rule of thumb.

IWorkAsDirected

Outa browns on 04/30/09
I have complained daily about pckages loaded in my car that are unacceptable to me. When we went to a preload other than a driver preload it went downhill fast, they just don't care. And to top it off the preload supervisor was the clerk supervisor before that and the clerks always ***** about having to repack, retape, and inspect packages which are open or appear damaged.

I refuse to deliver many of them, now I'll be in trouble for that, missing service.

It's all a mess, but fedex beat us on damages and package appearance for the first time last year, so it's a mission now.

IWorkAsDirected

Outa browns on 04/30/09

I agree, this is a big sign I taped to the shelf of my car in the back, but of course the loader ignores it.

"Any package that is open, crushed, or leaking should not be loaded in this package car. If you would not want to see it at your front door, please do not load it in my car."

john346

No more Brown!

At our center the rotation of new pre-loaders are so often, you can't hardly get one trained before they are gone or moved on to another area. Trying to get them to speak the same language (I'm not fluent in Dude), or getting through to them over the blairing earphones attached to the iPod is another challenge. I guess the reason for my obstinance regarding this is the managment just continually treat us like "Damn Dumb Drivers" I'll not allow them to call me a service provider, as the obsequiousness of this sets off my gag reflex. They hired me to do a job, I do it, under-allowed, 1:1000 ratio of complaints, no accidents, no incidents.
So overall, I'm doing the job they ask, why do they feel the need to keyhole me into a corner with a crummy form that because my x-ray vision can't detect, or someone who cryptically feels it's our fault that his computer won't load as fast as they think it should. Can make one call, and suddenly I'm pulled aside and reminded & possibly repromanded because I was foolish enough to sign this P.O.S. Let us do our best, trust us to have enough common sense to cull out the wrong ones, just as we've been doing. To whomever contrived this form, remove your thumb & put this paper in it's place.

Fishbulb

its funny cause i've had the preload sup tell me on mutiple occasions to "load this package, i dont care what you do with it just get it outta here so it's not Left In Building". Micro-management causes management to constantly contradict themselves.

satellitedriver

SD, this form makes you accountable for something damaged in transit.How can you tell if the contents of the pkg are not damaged?Obviously your truck is not full from front to back with over 70's piled on top of boxes clearly marked fragile,that show up in the irregs after they get the belt clean.I would NEVER sign that.As usual though its the flavor of the month and we have a similar form for late air,which I also refuse to sign.I do agree about the tape gun though.
By the time you deliver a pkg about 40 people have handled it,I refuse to be responsible for thier lack of dedication.
You are correct DS, my truck is not loaded with over 70's piled on top of fragiles.
I load my pkg car.
The trailer sent down is loaded like that.
That piece of paper would give me the right not to put it in my pkg car.
As it is now, I have to use a lot of tape to try and make pkgs look presentable.

feeder53

ADKtrails
I would sign it, I treat every package as if it were mine and would ask questions if the damage looked bad. We are the last in the line as stated by UPSTATE.

pretzel_man

You know, I've read the attachment 3 or 4 times and I honestly cannot understand the resentment and concern expressed here.

It seems clear and well stated.

Does anyone disagree with any point expressed within it?

It does NOT say that you would be held accountable for a damage in transit. It doesn't say to not tape up an open flap.

It says not to load or deliver a damaged package.

The memo documents that you were communicated with about this.

So, what's the issue? It seems reasonable and documents what is a good procedure.

P-Man

Forty6and2

I'm Broken
You know, I've read the attachment 3 or 4 times and I honestly cannot understand the resentment and concern expressed here.

It seems clear and well stated.

Does anyone disagree with any point expressed within it?

It does NOT say that you would be held accountable for a damage in transit. It doesn't say to not tape up an open flap.

It says not to load or deliver a damaged package.

The memo documents that you were communicated with about this.

So, what's the issue? It seems reasonable and documents what is a good procedure.

P-Man

i agree. i signed it as a loader and as a cover driver.

UPS Lifer

I certainly understand how you feel. Certifications should never be used as hammers.
This is training and awareness. There is nothing in here that states any type of discipline will result.

I would be concerned if there is language in a certification that states disciplinary action.

Remember - If you are going to be disciplined for not following procedure, before you can be fired or separated from UPS - the management team would need to prove to a panel that you were trained and that you demonstrated that training and you were warned for not following the training. You should not be concerned until those steps have been taken.

There is always going to be new procedures, new services, new technology. With all of that comes training and certifications.

LKLND3380

You can kiss your blessed, rosey life goodbye now. :knockedout:New hire preloaders are not trained like they used to be.:sick:
I use you self question to determine if I deliver a less than perfect condition package also. Pretty good rule of thumb.

New hire preloaders are not trained... They have a "cornerstone" book that is handed to them and they are directed to sign... NOT READ - SIGN...