Word of Caution for Rookie Drivers

35years

Gravy route
Let's face it...

The human body is not built to do hard physical work in a 140 degree truck 11 hours a day. (NBC had drivers record temps over 150).

No amount of hydration will keep your body from suffering in those conditions. Hydration is only one piece.

Slow down. Open your back door every 5 to 10 minutes to air out. Never push yourself. Take multiple cool down "breaks". It should take you an hour+ more to do your job in the heat.

Don't be afraid to drive miles to air conditioning. If they harrass you, so what! It is about survival on high heat days.

I keep a cooler loaded with ice + water and 2 towels for soaking my head with ice water. A gallon water jug completely frozen for ice cold water all day along with iced electrolyte drinks.

Iamsomebody

Gatorade is mostly sugar water. There are better things to be drinking.
What's wrong with sugar water especially when it's hot as hell. Unless your a fatass you probably need the extra calories anyway. But bottled gatorage is a waste of money if you ask me . Just get the tubs of powder.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
If you ever played football......pkg. was cake.

Two a days in August around here were brutal. Our second practice started at 17:00. Two water breaks in 2 hours.....with ambient temp water filled with dirt from the wind. We had no shade. Full pad 220 yard conditioning sprints at the end.

It built character and toughness. And we got paid nothin. Just Friday night glory....

I could have walked into ANY military basic camp pr program and breezed through it....guaranteed. We were strong, ultra-fit and tough.

To say this.....pkg is no picnic......but there are plenty of tougher jobs for less pay and benefits.
WTF are you talking about

quad decade guy

What's wrong with sugar water especially when it's hot as hell. Unless your a fatass you probably need the extra calories anyway. But bottled gatorage is a waste of money if you ask me . Just get the tubs of powder.
Newsflash! Sugar is bad for you......why not smoke too? Plant based after all....

Pretty basic stuff.

35years

Gravy route
Love it when fat feeder drivers tell us how the job isn't that tough.

Yep, they did 5 years in package and think they remember....as they sit in thier air conditioning.

More power to you. But don't pretend you know what it is like to do a heavy industrial city route year after year, working peak hours all year.

I have news for you. I have been here since Jimmy Carter was President. These new guys move twice the volume you did 20 years ago. We have new guys running out of hours after 5 days of work....during the "slow" months of summer.

35years

Gravy route
Nobody is in the back of the truck for 11 hours a day.
Ok,
95 outside, 110 in the cab, 145 in the back.

Our building has had 4 drivers go to the hospital this year already from heat issues.

One driver came in and told management he needed to go to the Emergency room. They sat him in the a/c office for a half an hour and sent him home. He passed out at the wheel and crashed his car. Another driver passed out at a pickup. This crap has to stop.

Slow down. Screw the numbers.

Poop Head

Judge me.
Ok,

Our building has had 4 drivers go to the hospital this year already from heat issues.

One driver came in and told management he needed to go to the Emergency room. They sat him in the a/c office for a half an hour and sent him home. He passed out at the wheel and crashed his car. Another driver passed out at a pickup. This crap has to stop.
Weak. Weak people.

Overpaid Union Thug

Ok,

Slow down. Screw the numbers.
It’s says alot about the corporate structure of a company when it’s sups continuously (and desperately) try and block their employees from receiving proper medical treatment for injuries that occur on the job.

Ah...the jealousy.
giphy (28).gif