Work both UPS and Fedex

over9five

Staff member
But who's records? Is DOT gonna go down to my local grocery store and make sure I wasn't working over night stocking? Are they going to ask my nieghboor what kind of hours I keep?

If I keep everything on the up and up as far as UPS records who is going to know?

I don't think anyone would find out for some minor accident. I said "serious" accident, because that's when lawyers get involved who would know enough to pull all your tax records just so they could find you liable in some way.

over9five

Staff member
I see your point Pick up but I don't think the UPS suit was the best thing to use as an example. They could care less. Might even get a chuckle out of you having to work another job to support yourself because they hose you all the time.

Excellent point. You are very much correct. It is the drivers responsibility to keep track of hours.
But UPS will throw you under the bus if you get into an accident while over your hours limit.

Till then, as you said, they could not care less.

P

pickup

But who's records? Is DOT gonna go down to my local grocery store and make sure I wasn't working over night stocking? Are they going to ask my nieghboor what kind of hours I keep?

If I keep everything on the up and up as far as UPS records who is going to know?

Who records? Who investigates ? is the real question. In conjunction with what over95 says if u are involved in a serious accident , then the magnifying glasses start coming out. Where is the line that separates a serious accident from a minor one? I don't know where that line is exactly, but if u are involved with an accident in which the other vehicle is a school bus and two school kids die as a result and one of those kids was an honor student who won second prize in prestigious science contest and her goal was to cure cancer when she got older, I can say with confidence that this would be considered a serious accident. And guess who comes to investigate? The T.S.A ,the same agency that comes to the scene of a plane crash , whose investigators start looking for black boxes and over the next few days know more about the pilots than their own relatives did.

When the T.S.A investigates, ur tax records will be unveiled(to see if u have another job) , moe, ur local bartender will be interviewed and ur neighbors' knowledge of how u live ur life will be of great interest to them.

And REAL problems will arise if you get into any kind of serious accident. That's when records start getting checked big-time.

I don't think anyone would find out for some minor accident. I said "serious" accident, because that's when lawyers get involved who would know enough to pull all your tax records just so they could find you liable in some way.

I know of a guy in our building, in another center, that is a contractor 7 days a week outside of his FT driving job for UPS. He makes a TON of money but the guy never takes a day off, all his UPS vacation and sick days are used for big contracting jobs. I guess it becomes an issue of how long until you burn out and really how much money do you need??? I can see if money is basically thrown at you for doing nothing (ie: walking around a dirty building all day with a walky talky or sitting in a board room making terrible business decisions that alter peoples family lives) it wouldn't matter how long you work because you aren't working hard for it. I just can't imagine killing yourself day in and day out at UPS to get in early just to turn around and go do more manual labor.

P

pickup

Who records? Who investigates ? is the real question. In conjunction with what over95 says if u are involved in a serious accident , then the magnifying glasses start coming out. Where is the line that separates a serious accident from a minor one? I don't know where that line is exactly, but if u are involved with an accident in which the other vehicle is a school bus and two school kids die as a result and one of those kids was an honor student who won second prize in prestigious science contest and her goal was to cure cancer when she got older, I can say with confidence that this would be considered a serious accident. And guess who comes to investigate? The T.S.A ,the same agency that comes to the scene of a plane crash , whose investigators start looking for black boxes and over the next few days know more about the pilots than their own relatives did.

When the T.S.A investigates, ur tax records will be unveiled(to see if u have another job) , moe, ur local bartender will be interviewed and ur neighbors' knowledge of how u live ur life will be of great interest to them.

They can even grab ur computer, and figure out that u have been posting as shifting contents and determine that u were warned about this scenario and therefore should have known the law, not that ignorance of the law is any excuse.

Now am I saying this is going tohappen?Probably not. But if u are going to do this , be aware of the remotely possible consequences.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
the advice of Dave Ramsey collides with the hours of service regulations.

Let me ask u this . Shouldn't any job that earns one money, whether or not it involves driving or not cause a conflict , i.e not getting a 10 hour break, starting your 14 hour clock earlier than ur start time at ups, pushing one over 60 hours of work , or not getting a 34 hour restart? After all, any outside job that earns u money is considered on duty time.
Short answer: Yes, time spent at any other job counts as On-duty time.

On duty time means all time from the time a driver begins to work or is required to be in readiness to work until the time the driver is relieved from work and all responsibility for performing work. On-duty time shall include:
9) Performing any compensated work for a person who is not a motor carrier.
From http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regu...mcsrruletext.aspx?reg=r49CFR395.2#r49CFR395.2

brown_trousers

Thanks for the info, I didn't even think about the DOT hour requirements before. But luckily (or maybe unluckily depending on how you look at it) my package handling shift barely reaches 3 hrs and I get off in time to get 10 hrs off before starting a fedex route in the morning.

CigarLvr

Both companies will have a problem with I think. Your buddy is ok with it, but will Fed-Ex? I understand what you are going through. It will be better to just keep them both in the dark.

Backlasher

Stronger, Faster, Browner
Kinda off topic but I'm curious.

What's the average day driven for FedEx.

Stops per Hour??

Miles??

How many pieces??

How many pick ups???

The Fed Ex guy by me has more time then the postman. He loiters around with customers laughing and joking for extended times. multiple places. Real laid back and slow paced. Not trying to talk him down but I'm curious.

brown_trousers

well.. I'm not working fedex anymore. For the home delivery, which was where I was working, drivers were making 75-125 stops a day, no pick-ups (home-delivery doesn't make pick-ups). And they were all on fixed salaries, so they could take all day doing it if they wanted, but they don't get any extra pay or overtime doing it. I would have to say though it was pretty easy compared to the few days they have called me in at UPS to do a ground route.

PACNW

3 friends of mine managed to be p/t supervisors at UPS and FedEx HD for 2 years. UPS finally found out and asked them to pick one or the other. One became a manager at UPS the other 2 managers at FedEx. They worked twilight at UPS and preload at FedEx.