"Working as Directed"

dyb8bcz

Hello Upsers,

So I just need to get everyone thoughts about UPS and the direction the company is going. I have worked at UPS for 6.5 years (1 year as an contingent) and for the most part is been a pleasent experience at least for the first 5.5 years. However this last year has been hell. There were things about this company I didn't know and had I known I probably wouldn't have taken the job. I'm a TSG Technician. It's not a bad gig, pays the bills as most gainfully employment jobs do. However with the recent changes at corporate (this tranformation/optimization initative) has produced a very narcisitic mentality when it comes to middle to lower management inluding supervisors.
So let's get into it. Recently we have several changes in my dept that have affected pay and morale. I've been told several times by my manager, supervisor as well as HR that we "work as directed" a term I've never heard of in my 35+ years working as and adult. To be specific executive managment suspended Overtime Pay in the middle of Peak, then made us work against are will on days that we normally have off and in some cases on days that are considered religious observance days (like a Sunday) which the last time a checked is a violation of your civil rights. I was specifically told by HR, if management tells you to do something as long as they don't think it's an intergrity, ethical or policy violaton I must comply and if I don't I'm considered being insubordinate and subject to termination. My boss is forcing me to work this coming Sunday and litterally changed my schdule then told me if I don't show for work it would be considered a No Call, No show which is could result in immediate dismissal from the company.
So my question is this the way it's always been at UPS? Is working as directed just the corporate culture? So management and the excutive leadership (which are not being leaders) have carte blanche and just do whatever the hell they want?

Any thoughts???

I have been lurking

Tired hubrat
Work safely (slowly) and file-
OH WAIT ITS A NON UNION JOB
1620502702578.png

Been In Brown Too Long

Ex-Package Donkey
"Works as directed" is a very commonly used term management uses against hourlies for anything not covered in the contract, or for something that IS covered, but they choose to disregard in the moment. I heard it for decades, it's nothing new. This is the first time I've heard of it being used towards a TSG tech or other management. Probably happens more than we know, but they just grin and bear it. In our case a grievance is our recourse. In your case, without a union, I think "work as directed" is pretty much a :poop: sandwich which you are forced to swallow.

I wish all the people that post on BC just how useless they think having a union is or that they don't want to pay dues were reading your post and seeing just how management would run rough shod absent a union.

G.V. Rush

All Encompassing Member
I was literally just told to “work as instructed”. This is nothing new. All of us in operations must have a calloused skin as opposed to the offices on top. What’s the problem? We all sacrifice during peak. You’re no exception.

clean hairy

Hello Upsers,

So I just need to get everyone thoughts about UPS and the direction the company is going. I have worked at UPS for 6.5 years (1 year as an contingent) and for the most part is been a pleasent experience at least for the first 5.5 years. However this last year has been hell. There were things about this company I didn't know and had I known I probably wouldn't have taken the job. I'm a TSG Technician. It's not a bad gig, pays the bills as most gainfully employment jobs do. However with the recent changes at corporate (this tranformation/optimization initative) has produced a very narcisitic mentality when it comes to middle to lower management inluding supervisors.
So let's get into it. Recently we have several changes in my dept that have affected pay and morale. I've been told several times by my manager, supervisor as well as HR that we "work as directed" a term I've never heard of in my 35+ years working as and adult. To be specific executive managment suspended Overtime Pay in the middle of Peak, then made us work against are will on days that we normally have off and in some cases on days that are considered religious observance days (like a Sunday) which the last time a checked is a violation of your civil rights. I was specifically told by HR, if management tells you to do something as long as they don't think it's an intergrity, ethical or policy violaton I must comply and if I don't I'm considered being insubordinate and subject to termination. My boss is forcing me to work this coming Sunday and litterally changed my schdule then told me if I don't show for work it would be considered a No Call, No show which is could result in immediate dismissal from the company.
So my question is this the way it's always been at UPS? Is working as directed just the corporate culture? So management and the excutive leadership (which are not being leaders) have carte blanche and just do whatever the hell they want?

Any thoughts???
Try making the wall of text much briefer, tldr.

Brownwind

Hello Upsers,

Any thoughts???
Sorry but we’re all going through this. Don’t take it personal.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
Hello Upsers,

Any thoughts???
Religious observance days? Tell us all how many days you have darkened the doors of a church in your life.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Hello Upsers,

Any thoughts???
99 percent of us are truck drivers. WTF is a TSG tech? And how the :censored2: is an employer “forcing” you to work a Sunday a Civil Rights violation?

Mplayers2006

The Most Hated Troll 😈
Should the Moto be work how you want to?
Hello Upsers,

Any thoughts???
This has to be a joke. You are in a thread that is full of union members. What can they do for you? What advice can they provide a technician who is non-union. You can’t file a grievance. you don’t have a shop steward.

Handled your problems like normal UPS employees do. Take it down the street.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
It basically means that they own you 40 hrs a week, and you will do the work they tell you to, or hit the road.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
The only experience I have with TSG is when I grieved TSG management over Article 18 having broken scanner displays, and missing scanners at the small sort at the hub. This has been months and the displays are still broken, and missing. Peak has been lovely at smalls.
You work in smalls?
You an OLady or a cripple ?