Working conditions for drivers??

bc81

Been lurking around here for about 2 weeks and decided to join. I live in north NJ and am looking into possible getting a driving job(a friend of mine has been at ups for 19 yrs and was telling me about it, saying his place needs drivers and i should submit my app.) after reading all this 60 hr week info, i am wondering if every week is 60 hrs??? or is that only during peek times? Just wondering what the hrs are like for a driver (9-5 normally besides peek??) or what?
I have decided that a 9-5 office job sitting at a dest BSing on the phone and typing data over and over into a comp isnt for me. I want somethign more hands on and physical.
Most of you on here seem to enjoy your jobs for the most part and the security and benefits seem really good.
Thanx

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
First off welcome to the board. Lots of ole crusty people here, and some fresh blood. Some full of crap, some know what they speak of.

As for the 60 hour week, that is not that unusual. In many areas having a 50 hour week, week in and week out is the norm. In many cases, getting to something you want to do before 6:30 or 7 is almost impossible.

On the other hand, there are times when you can get in by 6-6:30 for a week or two at a time, so that makes it nice.

Dont know how all the new delivery enhancements will affect the drivers paid day in the long run, will have to wait and see.

Over all, it is a good job, pays the bills well. But it does get old to eat supper at 9PM every night, usually by yourself.

Try it. You might like it. But it is not for everyone.

d

S

speeddemon

dannyboy said:
First off welcome to the board. Lots of ole crusty people here, and some fresh blood. Some full of crap, some know what they speak of.

As for the 60 hour week, that is not that unusual. In many areas having a 50 hour week, week in and week out is the norm. In many cases, getting to something you want to do before 6:30 or 7 is almost impossible.

On the other hand, there are times when you can get in by 6-6:30 for a week or two at a time, so that makes it nice.

Dont know how all the new delivery enhancements will affect the drivers paid day in the long run, will have to wait and see.

Over all, it is a good job, pays the bills well. But it does get old to eat supper at 9PM every night, usually by yourself.

Try it. You might like it. But it is not for everyone.

d

SO I guess Im the ole crusty, fresh blooded, full of crap, that knows everything, driver.

hubrat

Squeaky Wheel
Most of my days are 8:45 to 7 or 7:30, with a half hour for lunch.

I miss my husband, my dogs, my home, and a lot of life. I'm sure there are at least half as many reasons people do this job as there are drivers. #1 on my list might be work-aholism, I guess, along with whatever else that implies.

If I didn't enjoy it I could not continue. It really stinks sometimes, but the positive weighs heavy.

I don't see how people who hate it manage to drag their be-hinds outta bed every morning. The job is way too hard for that.

Good luck. I'd encourage anyone who's willing to work harder than they thought they could to drive for UPS. It is truly a blast if you have what it takes, beginning with a knack for unearthing positives.

DS

Fenderbender
I agree hubrat,even though some days suck big time,theres a certain sense of accomplishment that you get knowing that some people would be both physically and emotionally fried if they had to do all the work they make us do in a day.
You just smile at the ones that say,I wish I could just drive around all day.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
beginning with a knack for unearthing positives.<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
That truly is profound.

Kinda like the goodby of "have a day full of blessings, unless of course you have made other plans"

This job is what you make of it. And it helps to have a real sense of humor. Usually I can find something to smile about in almost every situation.

d

pasfailure

The actual delivering of the pkgs is hard enough. It's the Eggheads, Bean Counters, Techies, IE people, and 300lb guys with stop watches that make the job more agitating than it has to be. How much can we give? They say more, more , more! PF