Working double shifts

R

RLPorter80

I've been on preload for a few months. I've never asked if they would allow me work in the evenings also, I figured I would ask after I know for a sure if they do or not.

rod

Retired 22 years
I've seen "part timers" get 50+ hours a week during peak. Anything is possible if the company needs you---otherwise it's "not allowed":wink2:

BURMDPsupe

Do see your supervisor about working "doubles" or the possibility of vacation coverage for extra work/money.

I don't want to discourage you, but with all of the cut backs lately, doubles are usually the first to go on the chopping block.

M-

C

Cooper

I just got home from working my first double. I started with UPS in January on midnight unload. Yesterday I started at 10:15pm. At 2:00am I went over to hazmat to rebox and browntape untill 3:30am. On a tip from a co-worker I walked back to my sector and talked to the sunrise supervisor. He threw me into a couple of longs until 6:00AM. A co-worker on sunrise told me not to do doubles too often because it is draining. I feel tired but nowhere near as tired as when I first started. Planing on doing this 2 or more nights a week for a few weeks and then gauging how my body feels about it.
I think the key to get some more hours would be to talk directly with the supes incharge of the shifts you are interested in. You might have to check in with them nightly to see if they need some help, but it may be worth it in your case. Often they don't know until start who won't show up or even what the volume will be.
I should mention I work in a huge hub (250+ doors), so it may be harder for you in a smaller building. GL.

Overpaid Union Thug

I just got home from working my first double. I started with UPS in January on midnight unload. Yesterday I started at 10:15pm. At 2:00am I went over to hazmat to rebox and browntape untill 3:30am. On a tip from a co-worker I walked back to my sector and talked to the sunrise supervisor. He threw me into a couple of longs until 6:00AM. A co-worker on sunrise told me not to do doubles too often because it is draining. I feel tired but nowhere near as tired as when I first started. Planing on doing this 2 or more nights a week for a few weeks and then gauging how my body feels about it.
I think the key to get some more hours would be to talk directly with the supes incharge of the shifts you are interested in. You might have to check in with them nightly to see if they need some help, but it may be worth it in your case. Often they don't know until start who won't show up or even what the volume will be.
I should mention I work in a huge hub (250+ doors), so it may be harder for you in a smaller building. GL.

I double shifted off and one for a year when I first started at UPS. I loved it. It was easy to get the work. I'd just stay over on midnight (I was on twilight) and if my area was fully staffed then I'd go do another one. I'd keep doing that until I found an area that was short handed. Due to UPS's legacy of excessive call ins I usually didn't get past my own area.