Working over 9.5

705red

Browncafe Steward
Another weakness in the 9.5 language is that the Tripple Time "penalty pay" applies only to the minutes worked over 9.5, and isn't really tripple time at all. It's only time-and-a-half. You already got paid time-and-a-half for all your overtime hours when you worked them. The grievance will get you an additional time-and-a-half, which combined, makes tripple time. At least, that's what I've read. Can anyone confirm this?

Your right! You receive time and a half for all minutes/hours worked over 9.5.

I'm also wondering how many over-9.5 hours in the workweek you would be paid for. For example, suppose you have a history of working over 9.5 against your will and so you are now entitled to begin filing grievances. In this week you work nine hours and forty minutes each on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. Friday you work a minute less than 9.5.

Assuming you actually get the tripple time pay, how many minutes/hours would you get? Just ten minutes for Thursday? Forty minutes for Monday thru Thursday? Or what? Does anyone know?
You would get paid 40 minutes at time and a half for being over 9.5.

Here management screws you two days on purpose just because they are pissed that we file. And it always comes back to bite them .To much volume on friday, ie makes them bust a route, you have to do extra pick ups.

Evey 9.5 i have filed for the drivers has been paid, minus the warning grievance of course. I have file hundreds of 9.5s. Everyone has been paid!

JonFrum

Red, I'm glad someone is making the 9.5 language work! If anyone could, I knew it would be you.

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but since you [wisely] aren't part of the National Master, I assume you don't have a Regional Supplement Panel, and National Master Panel to contend with. Your grievances are handled at the local level. That streamlines the process and works to your advantage. True?

705red

Browncafe Steward
Red, I'm glad someone is making the 9.5 language work! If anyone could, I knew it would be you.

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but since you [wisely] aren't part of the National Master, I assume you don't have a Regional Supplement Panel, and National Master Panel to contend with. Your grievances are handled at the local level. That streamlines the process and works to your advantage. True?
Your right! We removed all language that referred us to the national language and grievance procedures. We have our own monthly panels put on by 705 agents and Midwest labor managers. We decide our own outcomes without any influence from the national.

We have two on staff attorneys for language arbitration's and they also do freight discipline arbitration's.

Most of our contract violations do get deadlocked especially since we went to the sitting arbitrator. Simple, simple grievances now go through the arbitration process costing ups a lot of money in the long run, seeing that the loser pays!

Enforcerx

Waterboy consider it an honor. I was in the same boat. I was working over 60 hrs a week as a utility driver. It got to the point of ctr manager rolling over a few hrs from one week to another. It just the OT taxes and the fact that i had no life. I have been at UPS for 15 years and i love it. They only give you that much work because they know you can handle it. I was helping out people that were 3 to 5 hrs in the hole. Well guess what they dont work there any more. UPS needs help in the hard times. Watch your miles and do your job and then some and you will be fine. I have know people when layoffs come they find you something to do to pay the bills, hang in there.

New Englander

How does everyone like how cover drivers were sold out? We have to be on the same route for 5 days to get the 9.5 protection. This week over 10, 3 out of 4 days. Guess what.....today I am on a new route.

Screw them I'm still filing. I'm not letting them screw with me that way.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
How does everyone like how cover drivers were sold out? We have to be on the same route for 5 days to get the 9.5 protection. This week over 10, 3 out of 4 days. Guess what.....today I am on a new route.

Screw them I'm still filing. I'm not letting them screw with me that way.
Where/when did this happen? There is no language like that in the NMA.

New Englander

I am being told it is being done at the National level, UPS said that they needed protection themselves from cover drivers covering multiple routes during a week. The Union countered with they need to be on the route for 5 straight days.

I am still filing the grievance and will keep everyone here up on the progress.

For my own information, if it gets shot down. What is the next step above the local level?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
What local are you? Who runs that local?

Time to vote them out!

Can someone point me in the direction of the NMA language?

I believe NE'er is a different local than I. Perhaps he has a dog in the fight and certainly I hope so.

Local 25 would probably snicker.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Article 37, section 1.
The 9.5 language makes reference to "full time seniority drivers". There is no mention at all of a distinction between between cover drivers and drivers who have a bid route.

New Englander

Article 37, section 1.
The 9.5 language makes reference to "full time seniority drivers". There is no mention at all of a distinction between between cover drivers and drivers who have a bid route.

I completely agree. What are we as covers? Second rate citizens?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Article 37, section 1.

That is b.s.! UPS has to bully the covers. Eventually they'er all going to bid other jobs here; and there won't be any covers left! if the excessive OT continues. Now that would be interesting.

New Englander

We as covers are not the same as covers in other area's. We bid at the normal biannual bid and bid the cover slot. We are guaranteed the normal as any bid driver as our bid is cover. We are guaranteed 8 hours every day unless on lay off and we start bumping Pttimers.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
"Cover driver" means different things under different supplements. My understanding is that in some areas it refers to casual or swing drivers who are not regular fulltime and only work on an as needed or seasonal basis. In the Atlantic Area cover drivers are full time seniority drivers who come to work every day, the only difference is that they don't have a bid route, usually because they are junior and all the routes were taken before they bid. Most work 40 hours a week or more and have always been covered under the 9.5 language just like everyone else. As of right now I haven't heard anything about the company trying to change that, at least around here.

MikeTbob

In the Atlantic Area cover drivers are full time seniority drivers who come to work every day, the only difference is that they don't have a bid route, usually because they are junior and all the routes were taken before they bid. Most work 40 hours a week or more and have always been covered under the 9.5 language just like everyone else. As of right now I haven't heard anything about the company trying to change that, at least around here.

This is true in the North Texas District too. We are the same as bid drivers, we just do not have a route for whatever reason. Some guys actually like cover/swing driving.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Can someone point me in the direction of the NMA language?

I believe NE'er is a different local than I. Perhaps he has a dog in the fight and certainly I hope so.

Local 25 would probably snicker.
I have heard nothing but good things about local 25. Sean O'Brien is the recording secretary. I'M not sure if hes from ups, but i meet him several years back at the unity conference.

If you are having problems with your agent i would call him directly, he might not be aware that there is a problem.

I have had several people call my sec treas with complaints because i would not file bs. And he addressed it with me the same day.

705red

Browncafe Steward
I am being told it is being done at the National level, UPS said that they needed protection themselves from cover drivers covering multiple routes during a week. The Union countered with they need to be on the route for 5 straight days.

I am still filing the grievance and will keep everyone here up on the progress.

For my own information, if it gets shot down. What is the next step above the local level?

I got my hands on the 9.5 ruling that was handed down by the 9.5 committee, and no where did it say cover drivers could not. It did state that rural out lying routes could not file, and this was no change from the previous understanding in the previous contract. I call bs on that last part. I will look to see if i can find it and scan it on here.

tourists24

I got my hands on the 9.5 ruling that was handed down by the 9.5 committee, and no where did it say cover drivers could not. It did state that rural out lying routes could not file, and this was no change from the previous understanding in the previous contract. I call bs on that last part. I will look to see if i can find it and scan it on here.
From my understanding, this rural area part is not just any ole area UPS considers to be an outlying area. It is for truly remote sections of the country (such as the middle of Montana etc.) where the company has no real way to get help to the driver.