Workplace violence tolerated by UPS?

I'm a 12 year PT employee. I had another hourly tell me as I was picking off that "he was going to friend* me up, ni***". I told him yea whatever.

He then ran up the belt and got within my face with a fist and pretended as he was going to hit me. I put my hands up and told him to calm down. He left.

It was witnessed by a PT supervisor and a shop steward. I also told a full time supervisor of the incident.

The following day I went to HR and they told me they would investigate the incident and to call the 1800 ethic hotline. I also reported it to the hotline.

This was 3.5 weeks ago. He's still employed with the company.

Saw a union rep last week and he was aware of the issue and was told he would bring it up in the meeting with the manager.

How is UPS tolerating this type of behavior and why does this employee still have a job?

If this were to happen to management the hourly would be walked of off the job on the same day.

UPSER1987

I'm a 12 year PT employee. I had another hourly tell me as I was picking off that "he was going to friend* me up, ni***". I told him yea whatever.

He then ran up the belt and got within my face with a fist and pretended as he was going to hit me. I put my hands up and told him to calm down. He left.

It was witnessed by a PT supervisor and a shop steward. I also told a full time supervisor of the incident.

The following day I went to HR and they told me they would investigate the incident and to call the 1800 ethic hotline. I also reported it to the hotline.

Saw a union rep last week and he was aware of the issue and was told he would bring it up in the meeting with the manager.

How is UPS tolerating this type of behavior and why does this employee still have a job?

If this were to happen to management the hourly would be walked of off the job on the same day.
Not only UPS , but you should be raising hell with the union rep.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

F395D4FE-B030-4EC5-AB9A-337533C92991.gif

I smell a lawsuit

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
In my experience, once the issue is reported or witnessed.... they take both employee's "out of service"

pending a Local Level hearing. At that point, you need another BA involved because you can't have the

same BA represent both parties.

Just so ya know

Teamsters will rarely go after one of their own

Don’t want to lose that dues every week

Meh....

NAHimGOOD

Nothing to see here.... Move along.

He then ran up the belt and got within my face with a fist and pretended as he was going to hit me. I put my hands up and told him to calm down.
That was your opportunity to justifiably end it...

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
That was your opportunity to justifiably end it...

I can understand that, but this isn't a court of law.

(As a pick-off) he should have shut the belt down and addressed it with management, immediately.

But, here is the real question:

What happened prior to this person getting in their face ?

Something happened....

That's why the company (usually) takes them both "out of service" to sort things out.

There is always more to the story.

Trust me.

-Bug-

NAHimGOOD

I can understand that, but this isn't a court of law.

(As a pick-off) he should have shut the belt down and addressed it with management, immediately.

But, here is the real question:

What happened prior to this person getting in their face ?

Something happened....

That's why the company (usually) takes them both "out of service" to sort things out.

There is always more to the story.

Trust me.

-Bug-
Thats what im saying.

If it was as cut and dry as implied, he would have made a stink about it right then...

Not the next day and later on the internet.

Poop Head

Judge me.
If your building was overly, or properly staffed, youd both be sitting out. Id bet that the company doesnt want to lose any bodies right now.

Also, tempers can flare quite easily in a job like this. Quit being a ninny, the guy didnt even hit you.

NAHimGOOD

If your building was overly, or properly staffed, youd both be sitting out. Id bet that the company doesnt want to lose any bodies right now.

Also, tempers can flare quite easily in a job like this. Quit being a ninny, the guy didnt even hit you.
You saying the belt hopper thought the op was a easy target and punked him in front of everyone, including supes?

Thats deep.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

LMAO

You don't know how true that is.

It takes a certain type of person to work at UPS.

A lot of alpha type "personalities" can make things interesting.

;)

ManInBrown

That employee has a screw loose. The one thing you do not engage in at UPS is violence. That’s a recipe for permanently losing your job.