Write it down!

Faceplanted

I've been doing this since day one in feeders. Anything in my daily routine that is out of the normal, I make a note. When I first started doing it, I made COPIOUS notes. Way more than I needed to. Over time, I learned to streamline the notes and only note the things I knew they would ask about. You quickly learn what they will ask about.

Starting out, the main purpose is to CYA. If they have a question, you have an answer. A real answer. But I learned what the real advantage of keeping a record of my day: my book had way more power than I did.

In feeders, one of the on-road supervisors nasty little tricks, is to bring you into the office and ask you what caused this or that delay a week ago. Now, we're not inventing the wheel in this job, and with rare exceptions, today, tomorrow and a day three weeks ago all look the same. So, unless you keep notes, or have a photographic memory, your answer to their questions looks a lot like your finger scratching your head.

Here's where the power of the book really shines. If you're meticulous about doing things by the book and the methods, like I am, things take a little longer. So when they would say we need to see you in the office, I would say, "Let me grab my book." After four or five times of this routine, my supervisors would ask me into the office and would look at my book instead of me. It was almost comical.

After a while, they pretty much left me alone. My notebooks were also a good reference for myself. They are a good snapshot of how I've done this job. And as a long-time cover driver, I always have a good feel of where I'm going from where I've been.
Or you can simple answer I don’t recall exactly, but I was working safety.

We are stupid truck drivers. They think I don’t know how to run my own route and just to follow Orion so I’m an idiot who can’t remember anything now.

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
Why are seniority union members less willing to work with a sense of urgency?
As far as I'm concerned, they DESERVE to slug it. They deserve light dispatches and a break from production harassment. I'd like to see them more protected from that bs in a future contract. One guy I work with has over 30 years in at age 60 something, can barely get out of his car in the morning, comes in and pounds out 110 stops every damn day, never seen him take a layoff. And gets talked to every time he's a half hour over. Makes me sick every time I see it
It takes incredible discipline and conviction to last in this environment for so long. When I gotta go take stops off the old guys I envision it as a passing of the torch; for decades they've helped their brothers out even when they didn't want to and now I'm doing the same, and it's important to me that I'm respectful and shut up and listen to their advice even if it's incoherent old man babbling

BigBrown87

If it’s brown, it’s going down
As far as I'm concerned, they DESERVE to slug it. They deserve light dispatches and a break from production harassment. I'd like to see them more protected from that bs in a future contract. One guy I work with has over 30 years in at age 60 something, can barely get out of his car in the morning, comes in and pounds out 110 stops every damn day, never seen him take a layoff. And gets talked to every time he's a half hour over. Makes me sick every time I see it
It takes incredible discipline and conviction to last in this environment for so long. When I gotta go take stops off the old guys I envision it as a passing of the torch; for decades they've helped their brothers out even when they didn't want to and now I'm doing the same, and it's important to me that I'm respectful and shut up and listen to their advice even if it's incoherent old man babbling
30 minutes over and getting harassed by management? We got old timers going over an hr and never blink and eye and walk right to their trucks no questions asked. Article 37 has language that protects old timers from being dispatched the same workload as a runner gunner that's 25. I help the lady next to me all the time never once do I complain just grab what I have to and say have a good night.

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
30 minutes over and getting harassed by management? We got old timers going over an hr and never blink and eye and walk right to their trucks no questions asked. Article 37 has language that protects old timers from being dispatched the same workload as a runner gunner that's 25. I help the lady next to me all the time never once do I complain just grab what I have to and say have a good night.
I can't describe the conversations, but everybody moans when they hear or see his name called because it's common knowledge that it's about his production. And while he doesn't ever bonus he's actually pretty solid between like 15 and 50 clicks over.
I just wish they would leave him the friend alone completely
Now when I do his route when he's on vacation, it's funny because I purposefully try to go slow so they don't jack up the stop count on him or whatever consequences might come of it. Plus I know I have plenty of leeway to not get noticed production wise; I take 2 real 10 minute breaks instead of scattering little mini cigarette breaks throughout the day like I usually do, sort the CRAP outta the car even when unnecessary, walk stuff off that I could have pulled right up to.
No matter what I do, I bonus that thing. Except for once when I was 7 clicks over. And I definetely move fast, hustle, but I ain't no friggin runner. If they give me fast stuff, I scratch. If they load me up with slow stuff in the woods, it's a completely different job and I'm much slower.

JustDeliverIt

i see a lot of drivers walking around with pocket books or daily planners..do any of you guys do this and what exactly do you guys put in it. I know a lot of stuff is to cover your own butt if anything came into question.

I write down my punch in and punch out so I can check it against what is actually on the computer. It is rarely off since I've been driving, but when I was working preload they screwed up things all the time. Supervisors would go in and change stuff so the numbers looked better, but I would always have a record of what it should be.

RolloTony Brown Town

A daily log book, is a great way to document day-to-day irregularly's.

Also, record punch in and punch out times, number of pieces, number of stops,

on-call events, unusual customer interactions, conversations with management....

Every hourly can benefit from it.

Trying to play dumb.... doesn't always work.

-Bug-

Very smart to keep some notes. Typically the response is “I don’t remember.” If you have notes then questions are stress free because you can tell exactly what happened.

vvv

Always have to laugh and do a head scratch when I see a post like this.

Brother, if I ran only 30 minutes over they'd be having pizza daily for the center and wondering if I'm mentally stable.
2 hours over is a very good day for me, and I easily push either side of 3 if I'm heavier on bulk and the stops jump some, perhaps the weather sucks, or in the past if their mouths moved too much.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Do the job right and you never have to keep notes. Will you go through some OJS'ing? Sure, but then again, do the normal job and you have nothing to worry about.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
upload_2019-3-15_7-45-56.png

RolloTony Brown Town

Always have to laugh and do a head scratch when I see a post like this.

Brother, if I ran only 30 minutes over they'd be having pizza daily for the center and wondering if I'm mentally stable.
2 hours over is a very good day for me, and I easily push either side of 3 if I'm heavier on bulk and the stops jump some, perhaps the weather sucks, or in the past if their mouths moved too much.

Stuff like this wouldn’t happen if they did time studies... numbers don’t mean much when they’re 10-15 years old lol

RolloTony Brown Town

We both know their time studies would be wacked. In Clarksville every load is stop for stop!

If you’re familiar with your area and have been there for a long time take note of new businesses, different traffic patterns, new intersections and new traffic signals and stop signs, New apartment buildings that take lots of time. Basically anything new should be accounted for. Time studies used to be part of the deal every year, but because they couldn’t get enough of them done they just straight up stopped doing them in 2006! Some areas the metrics still work. Others it’s not even worth talking about. Not to mention the delivery game has changed, from a more 50/50 split between com:resi stops. Less stops more pieces. Now we’re delivering the same amount of pieces with way more stops and there’s tons of 25/75 splits between com:resi.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Why are seniority union members less willing to work with a sense of urgency?

What is a "sense" of urgency and how do you quantify it.... can it be measured ?

Is it like a 6th sense or extra sensory perception ?

It's just a made up UPS term.... that is just a subjective opinion.

C’mon man, you’ve been here long enough. The more you do, the more you get. Also, the human body starts to break down from repetitive motion. This job beats the hell out of you. How old are you? Don’t judge an older guy til you’ve walked in their shoes man.

That's why Article 37 cover's it.

Damn Union.

:biggrin:

-Bug-

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Or you can simple answer I don’t recall exactly, but I was working safety.

We are stupid truck drivers. They think I don’t know how to run my own route and just to follow Orion so I’m an idiot who can’t remember anything now.

That's better than making something up, but it's demoralizing to them when they ask you about something from a week ago, expecting a, "Ugh, ugh, ugh," and you give them an exact answer.

That is the power of the book.