Written Up for the First Time

Anyone ever noticed higher seniority people never get disciplined while lower seniority people are always targeted? Seen it too many times at my hub.
Sometimes yes sometimes no. They no the long time employees know better, than to pit up with their crap.

They try to scare the going ones,to test them out.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

It may be 1-2 minutes a few times per week.
This is my favorite line in your post. When my FT prints out the report on hours used on my sort he doesn't care if you're a minute late. The L is next to your name. You're late. If you are a minute or two late everyday you know what you do? You leave a minute or two early every day.
I'm not asking for special treatment here. I'm not asking NOT to get written up
You're pretty much asking "How do I avoid getting written up while not changing anything?" That's basically asking for special treatment. Be an adult, show up to work, do your job, go home. It isn't that hard.
Anyone ever noticed higher seniority people never get disciplined while lower seniority people are always targeted? Seen it too many times at my hub.
You know why that is? Those high seniority folks have proven themselves. The lower seniority people you are trying to prevent a pattern. Once someone gets set in that mindset that they can do whatever they want they will take advantage of it until the day they leave or you have to fire them.

This is my favorite line in your post. When my FT prints out the report on hours used on my sort he doesn't care if you're a minute late. The L is next to your name. You're late. If you are a minute or two late everyday you know what you do? You leave a minute or two early every day.

You're pretty much asking "How do I avoid getting written up while not changing anything?" That's basically asking for special treatment. Be an adult, show up to work, do your job, go home. It isn't that hard.

You know why that is? Those high seniority folks have proven themselves. The lower seniority people you are trying to prevent a pattern. Once someone gets set in that mindset that they can do whatever they want they will take advantage of it until the day they leave or you have to fire them.
Good post.
Who wrote it for you?

F

FrigidAdCorrector

Good post.
Who wrote it for you?
Gi0EG.gif

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
So, I was working on the bulk line today and someone got pulled in the break room and they were written up for something earlier in the week. A supervisor told us that they are writing up people for infractions in the past two weeks. I began to worry because..

I have a FT sup who is EXTREMELY lenient. Like, I have taken a day off every week for the past few weeks and sometimes show up a few minutes late every day. I am not a bad employee as I work my ass off there and usually the last person to leave, but since he is so lenient, most other people on my dock do the same thing. So, I never felt too threatened. But I am worrying because I have never been written up before in the 3 years I have been there but in the last two weeks I have come in late and called Off twice.

I am an extremely good employee. I feel like I have to reiterate that because I dont know if that will reflect on my write up. I feel like I am going to go from no write ups in 3 years, to being fired just because of the last few weeks. I work at the Hodgkins location and I am freaking out. I feel like I dont understand all these infraction rules. I know all my supervisors will stick up for me due to how much I help them. I just want to know if I should be worried???

I do have a past of calling off here and there, but no one has ever brought it up to me. I have never done a no call no show and always call in. What do I do?

You cannot be fired for a non-cardinal sin infraction (stealing, drinking on the job, 3 day no-call no show etc.) without first receiving a warning letter and then at least serving a suspension.

That being said, even if you're 5 seconds late you're showing up on an area report. If your hub has major attendance issues (like mine does) then your supervisor will document it. If it continues to be documented, you'll receive progressive discipline (warning letter, suspension, working termination) and eventually get canned.

You should probably stop banging out of work (we have sick days in my area, some areas have option days, etc.) without a valid medical reason (doctor's note and/or FMLA) and start showing up on time.

UPSGUY72

Not in my center the people that are always in the office are 20 + year drivers. They are always getting talk to about performance since nothing can be done to them they just keep soing the same thing over and over.

Speaking of lower seniority people we have a handful of PT moving up to Driver position starting next week. Was talking to my SUP Friday night and they said that they aren't going to allow the slacker to get by anymore. In the past they have given some drivers a gift in letting them qualify and now they are paying the price.

Not in my center the people that are always in the office are 20 + year drivers. They are always getting talk to about performance since nothing can be done to them they just keep soing the same thing over and over.

Speaking of lower seniority people we have a handful of PT moving up to Driver position starting next week. Was talking to my SUP Friday night and they said that they aren't going to allow the slacker to get by anymore. In the past they have given some drivers a gift in letting them qualify and now they are paying the price.
These new guys qualifying is a big joke

slayer

I agree, and will get to work on time from now on. Ever since I started there it seems that my FT sees that even coming to work is a god send. In my outbound, we have major attendance issues. A lot of people don't show up to work every day. On the bulk line, where I work, it's not uncommon to grab people from the loads (if they don't call off), to help us out. So, that's why I never felt that coming in a minute or two late was all that bad. I have come in late and my supervisors actually thanked me for coming in. That's why I'm confused about all this.

I understand that coming in late is coming in late, but in the three years I've been there, I have never been reprimanded for anything. No one has ever spoke to me about anything regarding a write up. I have had two FT's and they both were lenient to the point of thanking people for coming in rather than saying, "Don't do it again". It's just kind of odd that everyone is telling me how 1 minute late could get me sent home when in my outbound 1 minute late is a "Hey, thanks for coming in."

I'm not trying to pat myself on the back, but me coming in a minute or two late doesn't mean I'm not a good worker. I'm a very good employee regardless what any of you people think ;). But, before everyone gets worked up, I will be on time every day now. I don't trust my FT's leniency anymore. A union steward never did these mass write ups and next time I won't have to worry about it.

Tell me about they let a guy slide by a last year because he has 3 or 4 kids. He sucks always over allowed. He hit a car this winter and didn't notify anyone got 2 weeks off. The only thing good is that with Orion now they aren't sending people to help him.
I like how they get the brand new trucks and have a short route.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
I agree, and will get to work on time from now on. Ever since I started there it seems that my FT sees that even coming to work is a god send. In my outbound, we have major attendance issues. A lot of people don't show up to work every day. On the bulk line, where I work, it's not uncommon to grab people from the loads (if they don't call off), to help us out. So, that's why I never felt that coming in a minute or two late was all that bad. I have come in late and my supervisors actually thanked me for coming in. That's why I'm confused about all this.

I understand that coming in late is coming in late, but in the three years I've been there, I have never been reprimanded for anything. No one has ever spoke to me about anything regarding a write up. I have had two FT's and they both were lenient to the point of thanking people for coming in rather than saying, "Don't do it again". It's just kind of odd that everyone is telling me how 1 minute late could get me sent home when in my outbound 1 minute late is a "Hey, thanks for coming in."

I'm not trying to pat myself on the back, but me coming in a minute or two late doesn't mean I'm not a good worker. I'm a very good employee regardless what any of you people think ;). But, before everyone gets worked up, I will be on time every day now. I don't trust my FT's leniency anymore. A union steward never did these mass write ups and next time I won't have to worry about it.

These things tend to slide until there's other performance issues coming out of a sort/facility. If there's ever a drop in PPH or a spike in service failures, etc. then watch the hammer fall. Once that happens, they get put under a microscope and business managers are then forced to sit on weekly district conference calls on attendance and every minor infraction gets documented.

It's good that you've resolved to go ahead and fix your attendance, as once they start hitting our members on it, it gets really ugly.

Shonuff

So, I was working on the bulk line today and someone got pulled in the break room and they were written up for something earlier in the week. A supervisor told us that they are writing up people for infractions in the past two weeks. I began to worry because..

I have a FT sup who is EXTREMELY lenient. Like, I have taken a day off every week for the past few weeks and sometimes show up a few minutes late every day. I am not a bad employee as I work my ass off there and usually the last person to leave, but since he is so lenient, most other people on my dock do the same thing. So, I never felt too threatened. But I am worrying because I have never been written up before in the 3 years I have been there but in the last two weeks I have come in late and called Off twice.

I am an extremely good employee. I feel like I have to reiterate that because I dont know if that will reflect on my write up. I feel like I am going to go from no write ups in 3 years, to being fired just because of the last few weeks. I work at the Hodgkins location and I am freaking out. I feel like I dont understand all these infraction rules. I know all my supervisors will stick up for me due to how much I help them. I just want to know if I should be worried???

I do have a past of calling off here and there, but no one has ever brought it up to me. I have never done a no call no show and always call in. What do I do?

If you think 1-2 minutes late is any different than 30-40 minutes late, you are very misinformed. In UPS land, late is late. If management was to pull your attendance record, the only indicators are late or on time. There is no grace period, so if for example we take a look at a years worth of attendance....Let's say for example you only come in late once a week, that's 52 "x's" on that sheet (x=late), which doesn't look pretty. There are no indicators showing how late you were on any of those days. You also mentioned that the supes would stick up for you. Your going to have to let go of that Disneyland mentality, cause when :censored2: hits the fan, the Supe is 99% likely to throw you under the bus, no matter how nice you think that Supe may be. That's just reality. Clean up that attendance record, come in on time, and TRUST NO ONE. Do that, and you'll have a job for life.

Last edited:
F

FrigidAdCorrector

I'm not trying to pat myself on the back, but me coming in a minute or two late doesn't mean I'm not a good worker. I'm a very good employee regardless what any of you people think ;).
No you really aren't if you can follow a rule as simple as showing up on time. YOU may think you're a good worker. But as a sup you can be a rockstar, I don't really give a crap if you can't get your butt to work when you're supposed to be there. Everyone else showed up, why can't you?
here are no indicators showing how late you were on any of those days.
That's actually a good point I never really thought about. On PCIS it only shows the L, not how late it was.