xmas day

whenIgetthere

One newbie who signed the volunteer list said he heard he would get double time and a half if he worked. I told him holiday pay plus time and a half for what he worked. I'll check the list in the morning to see if he crossed his name off.

we get time and a half plus the holiday pay...comes out to dbl time and a half....but its still not enough....I have had at least six fellow drivers come up to me and say that they will call in sick......we get one day off for xmas and the money grubbing bas****s want to take it away.....if it was in our control I could c it....but with weather and extreme volumes......this is not our fault....fedex got greedy......serves them right.......I know I am ranting but I am pissed

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
When I was a ramp agent, we had one captain who refused to fly because the light in the lavatory didn't work. The aircraft departed 2 hours late. The captain has total control over the aircraft.

Took someone 2 hrs. to fix a light bulb?
Man, I'm working in the wrong position.

DontThrowPackages

we get time and a half plus the holiday pay...comes out to dbl time and a half....but its still not enough....I have had at least six fellow drivers come up to me and say that they will call in sick......we get one day off for xmas and the money grubbing bas****s want to take it away.....if it was in our control I could c it....but with weather and extreme volumes......this is not our fault....fedex got greedy......serves them right.......I know I am ranting but I am pissed
If you call in sick, you won't get paid for the holiday or the sick day. You're at their mercy.

DontThrowPackages

I know you won't get the holiday pay. Why would you not get the sick day?
Because its not a schedule day. It would be like your manager coming up to you Friday evening and asking you if you could come in on Saturday for 3 hrs, your off day, and you trying to call in sick that Saturday to get 8 hours paid.

overflowed

Ok, got ya, wasn't thinking of it that way. But if they forced a whole station to work on Baby Jesus birthday would that not be considered a scheduled day? I will be beyond pissed if they try to force Christmas on us.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Until they pay double time. You will never see me there on Christmas. How can they not pay double time? Oh that's right its FEDEX

"Operational Necessity". I wouldn't be surprised if they announce it tomorrow. There is no way it will be anything close to caught-up at most stations.

hypo hanna

..... use the media to tell the public that they can come pick their pkgs up on christmas
Are you kidding? The executive management of fedex would rather screw over every hourlies holiday before it would take a PR hit like that.

Xmas day is voluntary at my station but we have been told if they don't get enough to sign up they will start drafting.

overflowed

Are you kidding? The executive management of fedex would rather screw over every hourlies holiday before it would take a PR hit like that.

Xmas day is voluntary at my station but we have been told if they don't get enough to sign up they will start drafting.
So voluntary today, voluntold tomorrow. May I ask HH how far behind you are at your station? Mine has large hills of freight all over. Haven't heard nary a word of working Christmas. Yet..

phox1515

my hub had mandatory work for drivers and handlers (voluntary handler work for helpers like myself) this sat and sunday... all so that people could get off work early xmas eve... pssh i would rather work more hours... but then again helpers like me don't get many only got 3.25 today (monday) :(

hypo hanna

So voluntary today, voluntold tomorrow. May I ask HH how far behind you are at your station? Mine has large hills of freight all over. Haven't heard nary a word of working Christmas. Yet..
Piles of it like most stations it seams. They may try and force me but they have to catch me first.

HomeDelivery

we got caught up & cleaned the warehouse this X-mas eve... i clocked out at 18:15 while i saw a fellow EXpress driver wanting to call it quits because it was too dark for him to find the addresses :( aren't there exceptions for some of those temps to use a portable GPS unit?

drove the vehicle straight home & saw UPS still delivering as well...

i'd volunteer for that double time pay or time & 1/2 pay, but i'm not an airline employee :(

Reattempt tomorrow

I agree they would never take the PR hit of forcing people to work on Christmas. If they were to force me to work I would probably have at least 2 flat tires and if they managed to get that fixed I'd probably put her in the ditch or get stuck on a dirt road. They could force me to show up but not force me to work