xmas day

how many of you have been told you may be forced to work Xmas day. We were told late last week that due to volume we may have to work. I am looking for info from Michigan. I will start we are in west mich and cover a large area of sw mich.

!Retired!

Voluntary at my station too. There's never been a shortage of volunteers. I've volunteered a few times before I got married, but never did get to work due to seniority.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Voluntary at my station too. There's never been a shortage of volunteers. I've volunteered a few times before I got married, but never did get to work due to seniority.

I'm thinking it will be mandatory at many locations. I'm aware of quite a few stations that have double-digit numbers of AMJs that haven't even been touched that are already late. I've heard that the local ramp smells like the inside of a dumpster due to all of the perishables going bad.

MaineGroundDriver

I actually feel bad for you Express couriers .. I witnessed the fails first hand the other day .. between absurd promises and the unfortunate weather, you guys are swamped and screwed .. at the station where I pick up at daily, they had a plane arrive at 3 PM due to weather/volume .. and I heard from the management they had just heard from corporate that XMas was a work day .. ouch

fedupforsure

If the co is that far behind they should ask for volunteers to man the station and use the media to tell the public that they can come pick their pkgs up on christmas

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
but we are the ones it hurt. don't get me wrong I agree with them, but when its a made up reason at the time we suffer

The customer is the one getting hurt the most. I have not heard of a pilot slowdown, and I'm thinking the late planes are due to the system crashing and burning. If the pilots want to eff with Smith, all they have to do is find a maintenance issue. When I was a ramp agent, we had one captain who refused to fly because the light in the lavatory didn't work. The aircraft departed 2 hours late. The captain has total control over the aircraft.

Doc Sorting Dude

Our SM already advised us that Xmas day will be voluntary only...he can't suddenly say "we all have to deliver every last piece of package due Dec 25th"....can he? Well, maybe starting with the bottom of the seniority list.

MaineGroundDriver

They don't even offer you guys double time for Christmas? Screw that, I would think that would be the minimum they would offer .. I would thing more like double time and a half! You guys should all tell them where to stick it!