YAPT

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
YAPT = Yet Another Peak Thread ;)

There are a couple routes in my center where the company rents a pod then shuttles work out to area drivers during peak. They go and pickup their work in the afternoon and are on their way.

If they would use more of these I think we'd be able to get a lot more work done during peak. At least 40% of my time during peak is spent digging packages out and sorting, sorting, sorting...If we could just have the 7000 & 8000 shelves shuttled out it would save hours each day.

Would this work in your area?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

There are a couple routes in my center where the company rents a pod then shuttles work out to area drivers during peak. They go and pickup their work in the afternoon and are on their way.

If they would use more of these I think we'd be able to get a lot more work done during peak. At least 40% of my time during peak is spent digging packages out and sorting, sorting, sorting...If we could just have the 7000 & 8000 shelves shuttled out it would save hours each day.

Word is all of the in town routes this year will have the 5-8000 sections loaded in a pod and shuttled out to area later in the day.

Ps can we just get a peak sticky?

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
In my center...they usually chop off trailer parks...apt complexes...and retail and commercial bulk stops off of a dozen or so routes...and PAL it to a couple of the smaller rentals...and have a couple of seasonals run the.garbage routes.

Every peak they are looking for Hero's to do all the work. Me I'm looking for 12 hours a day and to do the least stops possible. My motto is there's a lot of work to do and don't look at me to do it.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
My idiot dispatch would end up pal-ing businesses to the pod.
If the route has a decent trace you shouldn't have business in the 7/8000 shelves on most routes, unless your route is like mine where the 8000 shelf is dedicated for one of my large bulk stops, or businesses that are open late, in which case it's no big deal if it's shuttled out later.

O

OLDMAN3

They were dumping PODS on city streets around here last year. The residents had a fit. They couldn't just pony-up a few bucks and park them in a parking lot a few blocks away?! I can not wait for this peek. It should be fun. We are already understaffed.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
My building has used PODS and pup trailers in this manner for the last few years.

They do help, but they aren't all they are cracked up to be. Someone still has to drive out and unload the packages into the PODS. There are no shelves in the PODS so everything winds up in a big, random pile on the ground. There are no lights in the PODS so after about 4:30 you are mucking around that big random pile of boxes in the dark. And drivers who have been conditioned to be totally dependent upon PAS/EDD or ORION to line up their stops are often totally incapable of coping with having to line up a random pile of stops into some sort of deliverable order by themselves when they don't have area knowledge, a manifest or an accurate EDD to show them what stops are actually in that POD. Turning a random pile of 50 or 100 boxes on the ground into a properly sequenced load in your package car takes longer than you might think, especially when you are holding a flashlight in your mouth and you don't necessarily know what sequence numbers or even which route(s) have been dumped in there.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
What the company needs to do a better job of during peak is making distinctions between skilled versus unskilled work.

You can almost train a monkey to drive around in a rental van and load/unload bulk stops, but it takes skill and experience to bang off 60 stops per hour in the dark with a helper.

Instead of focusing on mileage reduction, the company needs to use peak hires to deliver bulk stops and do entire pickup routes, using rental trucks, in order to allow experienced drivers in package cars to stay on trace for as long as possible in residential neighborhoods and rural areas. Nothing is more frustrating as a driver than having your next 80 stops all lined up and ready to bang off, only to be forced to break trace for a pickup route that winds up burying those stops under 300 pieces of pickup volume that bricks your car out.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
We rent storage units. A whole bunch of drivers use the same unit. What is really great is the missorts they shuttle out as well, that, and the late stuff they dump in the unit even thought you picked up all your work and are 20 minutes away.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
What the company needs to do a better job of during peak is making distinctions between skilled versus unskilled work.

You can almost train a monkey to drive around in a rental van and load/unload bulk stops, but it takes skill and experience to bang off 60 stops per hour in the dark with a helper.

Instead of focusing on mileage reduction, the company needs to use peak hires to deliver bulk stops and do entire pickup routes, using rental trucks, in order to allow experienced drivers in package cars to stay on trace for as long as possible in residential neighborhoods and rural areas. Nothing is more frustrating as a driver than having your next 80 stops all lined up and ready to bang off, only to be forced to break trace for a pickup route that winds up burying those stops under 300 pieces of pickup volume that bricks your car out.
DITTO

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
I don't sweat peak. I know im working til 10pm at the latest and if it don't get done, sorry bout your luck Chuck, theres always tomorrow. No sweat off my back lol.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
They were dumping PODS on city streets around here last year. The residents had a fit. They couldn't just pony-up a few bucks and park them in a parking lot a few blocks away?! I can not wait for this peek. It should be fun. We are already understaffed.
They shouldn't be putting them on city streets. Here we put them in business parking lots. I'd imagine we pay the business a little storage fee.