YAY Its official : )

sky1023

Whew, Guys is me the New GUy :) Well I went to my 2nd interview this morning at 4 am. Just got a call from HR personel 1 hr ago, it is official: I am now a preloader for The BIg Brown GIant. Advices for me, anyone?????

upsdude

Load the dang packages in sequential order! Oh, welcome to UPS. We had a FT driver quit today, gave notice 2 weeks ago. I guess he made room for you. LOL.

aspenleaf

Sky,
Welcome to UPS and to preload! If you work hard and show up on time you will do fine. As someone said load the packages in order. Most important is to load your next day airs (NDA) in order and don't toss them behind other packages. Drink tons of water as you work and dress in layers as you will get hot and they don't want you passing out (since you can't load trucks laying on the ground) from over heating. Try to make it past the first month; our new hires usually leave within 2 weeks. Don't let your sups harrass you. They need to train you so if you have questions you better ask. Good luck and enjoy the exercise!

old levi's

blank space
sky1023 said:
Whew, Guys is me the New GUy :) Well I went to my 2nd interview this morning at 4 am. Just got a call from HR personel 1 hr ago, it is official: I am now a preloader for The BIg Brown GIant. Advices for me, anyone?????

In 13 to 15 years maybe you will be offered a full time job and then you can swing drive for another 10 to 12 years. With any luck you will get a bid route before you retire. Of course all of this is contingent on the assumption that your body will hold up to the wear and tear that comes with this job.

H

Huh?

dino said:
In 13 to 15 years maybe you will be offered a full time job and then you can swing drive for another 10 to 12 years. With any luck you will get a bid route before you retire. Of course all of this is contingent on the assumption that your body will hold up to the wear and tear that comes with this job.
Sucks to be a P/Ter there our guys are going cover driving in about 2 years. Of course they are c/d for alot longer then they should be.

ja4079

ja4079
dino sounds llike you are one unhappy person, I would leave now before it kills you . I like my job, like the money, like the 7 weeks of vac I get, wish we had better pension, like that my son got a schoarship that paid for 4 yrs of college thru UPS, my family has a had a very good life so for the most part it's been a good job for 27 yrs. Yes I have worked hard and earned every penny but isn't that what you are suppose to do, nothing worth having is free and easy!

gerardthetard

remember that the Teamster Union is the only thing that keeps UPS from taking away all your human dignity. Be a strong Teamster. UPS is running a strong propoganda campaign against the union which is very scary.

trickpony1

.....so you saying that without the union things would be sooooo much better?
Look at the crap that supervision pulls now even with a binding, legal, agreeded upon contract in place.
Without the third party intervention and mediation of the union these same supervisors would be unleashed to do whatever, whenever to whomever they wanted.

Imagine trying to find an attorney that will handle your case when your seniority rights are violated or they screw your check up or they scrrew you out of overtime or any number of other scenarios.

ja4079

ja4079
no that's not what I am saying, I know UPS has and does it fair share of screwing up and after 27 yrs I have seen a lot on both sides ,but i am not a union fan , which should be okay with you or anyone else

ja4079

ja4079
one other little point after 27 yes my paycheck has never been late or wrong, me and management work just fine together just lucky I guess

trickpony1

Yes, very lucky.
Please share with us what inspires this symbiotic relationship that you seem to have with your supervisor.

ozzey

many years ago i was a peloader. i loaded three trucks. i always made 5 stops marks on each stop count sheet before i put the first stop on. drivers are pissed off for tooo many stops but not for a little less than expected

ja4079

ja4079
trick it is easy I do what I am paid to do deliver packages, show up every day, take my lunch, get along with my customers, and they know that , we respect each other, which is the way it should be, actually a pretty simple plan!

trickpony1

Good for you!
I try to do the job to the extent that I have never been talked to about performance. Am I superman? No, just safe.
I try to get along with my multitude of supervisors, some of whom are real humans that I have respect for and some of whom it is common knowledge not to turn your back on.
I can't speak for you but I work at a large hub that has many management people some of whom exercise a rogue moment occasionally to screw with the employees, OOPS!, I mean substantiate their jobs.

Your comment about how you don't prefer unions and that should be okay with you (me) and anyone else seems to exhibit a fairly narrow scope. Is your mantra:

It's all about ja4079! It's all about ja4079!

You're right, let's get rid of that nasty ol' union because everything is rosy for ja4079. While you're at it, why don't you petition your local government to get rid of the local police department. When you're done with that, perhaps you can petition the federal government to get rid of all armed forces because, after all, everything is rosy for ja4079, so screw everybody else.

I don't know where you have been most of your adult life but some of us have been exposed to evils, through no fault of our own, that would suggest that we might need protection.

When the company offers a party, complete with pizza and soda pop, that happens to coincide with the contract ballots being mailed out, I'm sure you won't hesitate to vote yes without reading the language, because, of course, everything has been fine all these years and all we really care about is ourselves.

I hope that your scope broadens sometime soon.