Year round helpers?

Tough Guy

I've seen in a few posts here and there that some were saying their hubs use helpers almost years round. That would be phenomenal if they did that in my hub.

I know the company is super stingy when it comes to extra time, hours, people, etc. But, there are a lot of trucks that looks the same year round, and you would think it's peak season if you saw them even on a normal day. I think there could be some kind of system they could come up with where the driver had an option of using a helper, or if a trip has x amount of volume they're eligible for a helper, or something to that effect.

Also would be good on-road delivery experience for any prospective future drivers.

I've seen in a few posts here and there that some were saying their hubs use helpers almost years round. That would be phenomenal if they did that in my hub.

I know the company is super stingy when it comes to extra time, hours, people, etc. But, there are a lot of trucks that looks the same year round, and you would think it's peak season if you saw them even on a normal day. I think there could be some kind of system they could come up with where the driver had an option of using a helper, or if a trip has x amount of volume they're eligible for a helper, or something to that effect.

Also would be good on-road delivery experience for any prospective future drivers.
It would also be a way to screw future full timers out of a job!!!!!!!!

Tough Guy

Not sure I understand. How would that screw someone out of a job? Some hubs apparently do this year round from what I've read on here

Tough Guy

well i meant more in the way of insiders getting the shifts, not outsiders of course. The one guy I saw post about it, I think he said he was in a chicago hub, said they get their inside rates over there. Not the piddly 8.50 they give during peak

Tough Guy

and to further clarify, I'm not suggesting every route would even need a helper. It could even be a seniority incentive. If you reach x amount of years, you have the option to use a helper. Or again, x amount of volume is eligible for helper. I'm sure something reasonable could be agreed upon

and to further clarify, I'm not suggesting every route would even need a helper. It could even be a seniority incentive. If you reach x amount of years, you have the option to use a helper. Or again, x amount of volume is eligible for helper. I'm sure something reasonable could be agreed upon
NO HELPERS!!!!!!!!!!!Put a route in and give somebody else a good job and a future

Tough Guy

But how are some hubs doing it and not others? And if you still have several years to go with seniority, the helper hours can help you make ends meet now, in the present.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I can see how helpers can speed some things up, but when I have an on-car with me, they slow me down, get in my way, etc so I would think it would be the same with a helper at least to some extent.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!

UPS has long sought to use helpers year-round and the Teamsters have opposed it. In 2007, the Teamsters hyped the fact that they were successful in striking down UPS's proposal. The New York City area is the only region I'm aware of that the Teamsters gave this leniency to.

My supplement allows UPS to use helpers year-round in instances of unusual volume fluctuation. My building often abuses this and my BA doesn't have much of a problem in them doing so. For example, we have several PTers scheduled to help in the malls soon. The contract also says these jobs go to the highest seniority PT Teamsters, but UPS will use management favorites and the kids of several managers -- who aren't employees -- to do the work. And my BA doesn't have much of a problem in them doing so. Fighting it without support from the BA is fruitless, and places a target on my back, so why bother?

Johney

The problem is every route would get a helper. I'm sorry but I don't want 300 stops or more per day year around.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The OP does have a good point; however, it is painfully obvious that he has a thing to two to learn about how the company really works. Helpers would make it easier but the only solution is to add more routes.

Johney

There are a couple guys in my building who get helpers from Oct. to Jan. every year. That's what is allowed per the contract in my building. management will add helpers to more routes as the weeks progress until 95%+ have helpers in Dec. The few guys who get helpers early are COOKED by Jan. They will build up these routes by cutting others or minimum dispatching close routes.

Marlin3030hntr

Ya here in the SW they have language in our rider that peak season helpers can work oct. 15- jan. 15th since right after December ended last year we had a huge influx of volume the second week of January and every driver got a runner for a week so that was almost 200 pters making $32 and $47hr ot for 6 working days, I came home with $2000 that week but that's why the company pushed the union to let that happen in the current TA. But as everyone else has said the answer is more routes and drivers not over dispatching and giving everyone a runner.