Year round helpers?

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I can see how helpers can speed some things up, but when I have an on-car with me, they slow me down, get in my way, etc so I would think it would be the same with a helper at least to some extent.

you are obviously working too fast.. You do know that if they are with you have them shag packages for you...work em man...let them sweat and feel what it's like to work a bit!!

Coldworld

60 months and counting
The OP does have a good point; however, it is painfully obvious that he has a thing to two to learn about how the company really works. Helpers would make it easier but the only solution is to add more routes.

Thats the smartest thing you've said in quite some time...

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Ya here in the SW they have language in our rider that peak season helpers can work oct. 15- jan. 15th since right after December ended last year we had a huge influx of volume the second week of January and every driver got a runner for a week so that was almost 200 pters making $32 and $47hr ot for 6 working days, I came home with $2000 that week but that's why the company pushed the union to let that happen in the current TA. But as everyone else has said the answer is more routes and drivers not over dispatching and giving everyone a runner.

I call BS on the $32 and $47 per hour claim.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
We have "year round helpers" now. They are called supervisors. They sure do a lot of work, on road and in the hub too!

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
I can see how helpers can speed some things up, but when I have an on-car with me, they slow me down, get in my way, etc so I would think it would be the same with a helper at least to some extent.

When I have helper or ride along. I only get off the truck for lunch and break.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

When I have helper or ride along. I only get off the truck for lunch and break.

...and therein lies the problem. The helper is just that---your helper----not your bitch. The driver and helper working together as a team is what makes for a smooth Peak. Train the helper on the DIAD and Peak goes even smoother.

Tough Guy

I can basically do everything a driver does, except drive the truck. I know the diad inside and out, cod's, diad transfers, pick ups, etc. The way we work (i've worked with the same guy a few years in a row) is he simply takes one side and I take the other. While the other one is running the box out, the one still in the truck is getting the next stop lined up. I've worked with a handful of drivers due a vacation week here or there and the one driver actually offered my regular guy $500 to let him keep me. (which he declined)

I've heard from many a driver that helpers are often times not what their names are, hah, but, I'm one of the good ones. I would only assume the inside helpers make the better ones, since they usually have some familiarity with the labels and where to find things.

Re: Year round helpers?

"The OP does have a good point; however, it is painfully obvious that he has a thing to two to learn about how the company really works. Helpers would make it easier but the only solution is to add more routes."

Yes I suppose that's true. Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers by bringing it up, didn't realize it was such a hot button issue. No offense meant to anyone who got upset.

Last edited:
U

uber

I call BS on the $32 and $47 per hour claim.

You like calling BS on stuff you have no clue about.

Thats actually true in the West as well. When I was part time I would be a driver helper outside of peak season and make top rate driver pay. True story.

S

serenity now

...and therein lies the problem. The helper is just that---your helper----not your bitch. The driver and helper working together as a team is what makes for a smooth Peak. Train the helper on the DIAD and Peak goes even smoother.

you are assuming that the helper even has a diad issued * my helper last peak was a 115 lb. woman who was terrified of any dog * what an asset

Indecisi0n

After this year, I am so banged up my helper will totally be my bitch. I just hope he smells good.

S

serenity now

Every helper in my center is issued a DIAD and we are told to put a minimum of 30 stops in to the helper DIAD.

your little microcosm of ups ( also known as the BOG ), is very different than what most of us deal with on a daily basis

often when you post, your replies take the form of absolutes ( but only relevant to the BOG )

also i've noticed you seem to step in a lot of dog crap; perhaps you should choose a different walk path