"You guys need to get a union!"

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
Are you a "Leader" in your Local ?

No, but I do pay $1100+/- a year to an organization that is supposed to represent my best interests.

My only real question is whether it's negligence, incompetence or the Peter principal failing our leadership. A look at Dennis Taylor's bio lists 6 years in the army followed by his union activity...no college or higher education is listed. This was our lead negotiator, correct? In this case I would say Peter principal...he has risen to a job he cannot competently perform.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
No, but I do pay $1100+/- a year to an organization that is supposed to represent my best interests.

My only real question is whether it's negligence, incompetence or the Peter principal failing our leadership. A look at Dennis Taylor's bio lists 6 years in the army followed by his union activity...no college or higher education is listed. This was our lead negotiator, correct? In this case I would say Peter principal...he has risen to a job he cannot competently perform.

You're just joking around.... right ?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
What's the difference between IBT and UPS management? Teamster brass tries to pretend to be your friend for their personal gain, UPS tries to be your foe. Seems UPS is more honest

Indecisi0n

I'm well aware. And I got enough help from the consignee to make it reasonably safe. Just relaying one person's candid impression -- he pities us haha!
Could have been a good time for you to educate the customer at how good the Teamsters are. They aren't perfect but no one is. When people say to me "UPS takes good care of you guys" I always correct them and say "It's the union who negotiates what we have so they take care of us as well". UPS isn't getting all the credit. If UPS was non-union we would be worse than Amazon.

a911scanner

Yes, the Union does protect you with the over 70's.

But if they are so protective on this issue, why was a wildcat strike considered in '94?

Doesn't sound terribly protective. And if every single driver started following the contract on this issue, we would all be out many more hours every single day. Not to mention all of the extremely rural drivers who may or may not have someone to help within 20 miles.

Like ORION, on paper it makes sense, but the reality is far from functional.

Poop Head

Judge me.
Could have been a good time for you to educate the customer at how good the Teamsters are. They aren't perfect but no one is. When people say to me "UPS takes good care of you guys" I always correct them and say "It's the union who negotiates what we have so they take care of us as well". UPS isn't getting all the credit. If UPS was non-union we would be worse than Amazon.
The look you get when trying to explain anything union related to a non-union toad

hypnotoad-animated.gif

PHLtroublemaker

You could have politely explained, that it was (and is) an apathetic membership

that continually fails to vote on their own contract....
Or he could have told the truth and said that it has a lot to do with weak leadership who have even imposed unwanted contracts in n members. Bug what do you think of the #2 guy bragging about a huge strike fund ? We all know current leadership does not have to balls to strike anyone . How many years have you supported these slugs ?

Or he could have told the truth and said that it has a lot to do with weak leadership who have even imposed unwanted contracts in n members. Bug what do you think of the #2 guy bragging about a huge strike fund ? We all know current leadership does not have to balls to strike anyone . How many years have you supported these slugs ?
An hour over.
How you been?

Whither

Scofflaw
Yes, the Union does protect you with the over 70's.

But if they are so protective on this issue, why was a wildcat strike considered in '94?

Doesn't sound terribly protective. And if every single driver started following the contract on this issue, we would all be out many more hours every single day. Not to mention all of the extremely rural drivers who may or may not have someone to help within 20 miles.

Like ORION, on paper it makes sense, but the reality is far from functional.

The 1 or 2 day strikes in some locals were precisely because UPS hiked the max weight limit from 70 to 150 overnight. You would think the International might have taken up the cause but I haven't heard or read anything ... if anyone knows otherwise, I'd be happy to hear the story of how the International fought UPS and lost on this issue.

The 'solution' of being able to call for help doesn't prevent these monstrosities from choking up the cargo aisle/causing headaches until you can deliver or get them under the shelves, nor, as you point out, is it very practical given the way UPS runs the show.

I've noticed pious Teamsters here say: "the union can't tell the company how to manage its affairs" ... as if it's simply taken for granted that the union should be the junior partner in the relationship. (No doubt it is the junior partner.) Since the time windows on commercial or industrial routes are usually tight, you'll have an effing treadmill buried among your pickup volume if no one's around to offer assistance and it can't be carted off.

The 1 or 2 day strikes in some locals were precisely because UPS hiked the max weight limit from 70 to 150 overnight. You would think the International might have taken up the cause but I haven't heard or read anything ... if anyone knows otherwise, I'd be happy to hear the story of how the International fought UPS and lost on this issue.

The 'solution' of being able to call for help doesn't prevent these monstrosities from choking up the cargo aisle/causing headaches until you can deliver or get them under the shelves, nor, as you point out, is it very practical given the way UPS runs the show.

I've noticed pious Teamsters here say: "the union can't tell the company how to manage its affairs" ... as if it's simply taken for granted that the union should be the junior partner in the relationship. (No doubt it is the junior partner.) Since the time windows on commercial or industrial routes are usually tight, you'll have an effing treadmill buried among your pickup volume if no one's around to offer assistance and it can't be carted off.
Sheet it as missed
Problem solved