Your hell day at UPS

barbaraw

my hell day 1 at UPS was day went to work after having 2 wisdom teeth pulled. 2nd would be night I am walking for exercise on break and left knee gives out and spending 4 HOURS after work in er at Jewish Hospital
south in Kentucky. I am new to blog.

Big Babooba

My hell day at UPS?

Try this for a twist.

My hell day because of UPS.:smart:

Think about what it was like to be an Emery Worldwide Driver during the UPS strike.

Hell days.

( Do you have any idea how bad the delivery for Red Lobster smelt after sitting in a trailer for days?)
After a while you'd get used to it! I was told the same thing at a sewage treatment plant that I used to deliver to. Outside of the plant didn't smell bad - inside the office was a different story. These guys would be eating their lunches or taking their coffee breaks surrounded by the smell of a thousand overflowing toilets.:sick: "Honey, I'm on my way home. Fire up the power washer and hook up an extra gallon of bleach. I've had a baaaaad day!:whiteflag:(Later we can try out that new red towel that you bought at JC Penney!!!):wink2:

Overpaid Union Thug

Believe it or not my worst day ever was on a saturday! But it was also my best day ever. It was my worst day as far as work load was concerned. I had 31 stops spread out all over our delivery area. And I mean ALL OVERthe place.

We were only using two drivers that day but had normally been using three or four. The other guy working that day was kind of new and was crying about how many stops he had so I went over board when I offered to take some of his stops. Well, it just happened to be one of those extremely rare days when we got stops going to areas that we rarely go to on saturdays. Some of them were places that don't even get deliveries on weekday. There was even a few in areas that I thought were serviced by another hub. I had two EAMs too.

So, on top of the normal amount of stops we would have there was all these rural deliveries and extra city deliveries. Back then I was still rather new and didn't have much area knowledge and was still running like an idiot. At the end of the day I had logged over 200 miles and deliver 40 pieces and none late or missed. So, it was my best day as far as service and production was concerned but it totally sucked. I wanted to burn my map when it was all over. If I had to do it again with all he area knowledge that I have now I'd still struggle a little to get it done. I do miss working saturdays though.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Peak season 1991, I'm in a P500. Stop counter shows 700 stops. 300 are brickloaded into the back, 50 are up in the cab, another 350 are under the belt. Bulkhead door jammed, impossible to open. No bulk stops, all DR's.

I pull 50 stops out of cab, and a few more out of the back so that I can shut the door. Inform management that (a) there is no hope of me getting off the 300 stops in the truck and (b) someone else will have to deliver the 400 that are still under the belt.

Management tells me that I need to go out on route, find somewhere to unload the car, then return to building and load up the stops under the belt. No help available. Division Manager is insisting upon a "clean belt" with no left-ins. Service doesnt matter; only the illusion of a clean belt. Oh and by the way, you have 30 pickups to do also.

So I go out, find a garage, unload the whole truck, drive back to the building, load up the stops under the belt, and head out on area. My helper and I start busting stops off bit we are already 2 hrs behind on a hopeless death sentence.

3:00 rolls around, time to start pickups, only I have nowhere to put them because there are still 150 stops left in the car. So I go to the garage where the other 300 stops are still sitting and empty the car out.

So its 3:15, I have 450 stops left to do, plus a pickup route that has no hope of containing in a P5.

3/4 of the way thru pickups, I blow out, so I go back to the garage again to unload enough pickup volume so that I can contain the remaining PU's.

4:45--Pickup route complete. Car blown out with pickup volume. 450 stops+ 100 pieces of pickup volume sitting in a garage. I drive back to the building to unload my pickup volume, drive back out again to that damn garage, and load up as many stops as will fit with the remaining pickup volume. My helper and I bust off maybe 30 more stops, now its 7:45PM and I have to get the remaining PU volume back to the building to make the outbound sort. Helper quits on me and goes home.

Return to building at 8:15, unload remaining PU volume. I still have 20 stops left on car, plus about 400 back in the garage. So I drive back out on area, deliver 10 or 15 of the stops, go back to the garage again, load up the remaining 400 stops, and bring the whole pile back to the building at about 10:30 PM. Sup instructs me to unload all remaining stops without sheeting as missed.

Final score? 14 1/2 hrs, approx. 275 stops delivered, 425+ missed, 5 complete round trips to delivery area for no other reason than to shuttle dead stops back and forth from the building so that some fatass Division Manager could gaze down upon a "clean belt" from his office and bask in the glow of a job well done.

Im not bitter.

Overpaid Union Thug

Peak season 1991, I'm in a P500. Stop counter shows 700 stops. 300 are brickloaded into the back, 50 are up in the cab, another 350 are under the belt. Bulkhead door jammed, impossible to open. No bulk stops, all DR's.

I pull 50 stops out of cab, and a few more out of the back so that I can shut the door. Inform management that (a) there is no hope of me getting off the 300 stops in the truck and (b) someone else will have to deliver the 400 that are still under the belt.

Management tells me that I need to go out on route, find somewhere to unload the car, then return to building and load up the stops under the belt. No help available. Division Manager is insisting upon a "clean belt" with no left-ins. Service doesnt matter; only the illusion of a clean belt. Oh and by the way, you have 30 pickups to do also.

So I go out, find a garage, unload the whole truck, drive back to the building, load up the stops under the belt, and head out on area. My helper and I start busting stops off bit we are already 2 hrs behind on a hopeless death sentence.

3:00 rolls around, time to start pickups, only I have nowhere to put them because there are still 150 stops left in the car. So I go to the garage where the other 300 stops are still sitting and empty the car out.

So its 3:15, I have 450 stops left to do, plus a pickup route that has no hope of containing in a P5.

3/4 of the way thru pickups, I blow out, so I go back to the garage again to unload enough pickup volume so that I can contain the remaining PU's.

4:45--Pickup route complete. Car blown out with pickup volume. 450 stops+ 100 pieces of pickup volume sitting in a garage. I drive back to the building to unload my pickup volume, drive back out again to that damn garage, and load up as many stops as will fit with the remaining pickup volume. My helper and I bust off maybe 30 more stops, now its 7:45PM and I have to get the remaining PU volume back to the building to make the outbound sort. Helper quits on me and goes home.

Return to building at 8:15, unload remaining PU volume. I still have 20 stops left on car, plus about 400 back in the garage. So I drive back out on area, deliver 10 or 15 of the stops, go back to the garage again, load up the remaining 400 stops, and bring the whole pile back to the building at about 10:30 PM. Sup instructs me to unload all remaining stops without sheeting as missed.

Final score? 14 1/2 hrs, approx. 275 stops delivered, 425+ missed, 5 complete round trips to delivery area for no other reason than to shuttle dead stops back and forth from the building so that some fatass Division Manager could gaze down upon a "clean belt" from his office and bask in the glow of a job well done.

Im not bitter.

Did any of those suits even consider browning up and delivering some of those? Was there absolutely no one available? Our center would never allow that to happen. Once each and every employee available is on the road a sup will go out on and help without worrying about grievances. Our center will even bring sups from other hubs including IE and HR personnel. Additional rental vehicle will be brought in regardless of cost to the company.

In other words......we get it done here. Peak is the one time a year our sups impress even the most bitter UPS employees. Guys that would normally give management a hard to time and file on sups working appreciate their efforts.

M

Mike23

Im not bitter.

And the next day the Division Manager gets promoted!!!