Your hell day at UPS

tieguy

Banned
Everyone's had'em, so lets hear.

Mine was actually today (shocking).

Arrived at EXACTLY 0845 and told I was late (I guess they were pissed I wasn't working for free before?). We were told we had more volume then usual. Ok, not a big deal.

I go to my truck and...oh crap, it's not my 1000 it's a 800 and ONLY enough room squish my feet by or maybe hop on one foot, through my aisle? Oh well, lots of volume so can get it off fast. I also can't load anymore into the damn truck that's sitting behind my truck. Off I go! Zip, zoom, zowie!

My first stop (bulk stop, around 40 boxes which, later at the airmeet I receive another 13 from them, horay!) I hop out, go to the dock get it open and go to open my back door...hmm...I said OPEN my back door...what the? Oh crap, my key isn't the one for this lock. So, into the 800 I climb (I forgot my harness and rope in my mountain climbing bag, damn!) and start Godzillaing everything (crunch crunch crunch, die boxes, die!). So, you guessed it, the rest of the day, stomping boxes.

I go to the airmeet (after I throw out some *******piss bottle, thanks ********...Although it was ironic because it was done in a lemonade bottle so that made me laugh), I also call my sup and inform him I'm around 10 stops down from what my usual count is by this time and I NEED help (no help comes BTW and he claims I never asked for help, shocking). I DO manage to squeeze in the stuff from the meet though. I also told the sup I was going to have late air from running all this stupid bulk so that I could get MORE stupid bulk on my truck (which he also denies).

Off I go again! By noon I have 8 late pieces of nooners...oh well, doesn't surprise me. I get to my mall...oh, yeah, not my truck, no cart. Oh well, lets handbalm around 20 boxes through the mall! HORAY!

By 1230 I notice my gas gauge IS working properly and Mr Piss Bottle didn't fill up his tank. The nearest propane stop? Oh, about 15 klicks out of my area. Call up Mr Sup again and ask permission to go get fuel out of my area. I was approved for this and he won't deny it! So, that kills about 30-45min (I did get the last laugh on this driver though. We were told by management to hand in our gas cards. Guess who hadn't? Guess who's going to be shocked next time he's almost out of fuel and can't find his gas card?)

Oh, time for pickups...hmm, still pretty full. Get a call from Mr Sup regarding a PU I tried to get my air driver to do. The thing was about 4ft by 4 ft and on a skid! It would have taken up my whole back end! Anyways, sup tells me it won't fit in air drivers car because he has a crappy van. Ok, I'll have to pick that up later too. I ask my sup what he'd rather I miss? PU's or stops? He says niether since I shouldn't. I tell'em that I will be but will try my best not to. My second plead for help to him, which he denies.

I start my pickups in an already crowded 800. I'm delivering and picking up at the same time like many others out there. I realize I have to get to that stupid mega box on a skid pickup by 1630. Break trace in pickups and fly down to the other end of my area. The customer says, 'oh, it seemed to be a bother so we cancelled and are just going to send it freight'. Good because it was a pain in the arse bad because I didn't know and wasted my time. So, fly back to the other end of my area and continue the insanity.

I did get all the PU's done but managed to get screwed with 25 pkgs missed for businesses (oops). I then start to do my rezies. This part was the last kick in the groin. About 2 stops into my rezies (only around 15 or so onboard) I get a screw in my tire and can hear it leaking. So, need to work my arse off to get all the rezies off before it goes flat and I'm stuck out there until management decides to send a rescue (or maybe they'd just have me sleep there and continue delivering in the morning?).

I'm SURE I'll hear about it all tommorow in a lovely meeting. Maybe I'll get a day or two suspension out of it which I can grieve. I do think I'd get backpay for it since I was over 400 pkgs without a freaking backdoor that works in commercial area. I know, 400 isn't much but it feels a lot when you have no access to the back from the outside! :biting:

So, that's my hell day. Thanks for reading (if you finished it all). So, essentially this is the, 'damnit, UPS isn't fair' thread also :happy-very:

I've had a lot of days where I had to explain or answer for people who days like you had.:happy-very:

upssalesguy

UPS Defender
ring ring ring

UPSsalesguy "hello"

mrcustomer "hey upssalesguy, how are you doing?"

UPSsalesguy "great, whats up mr. customer?"

mrcustomer "i've been dreading making this phone call...i need you to pick up the feeder trailer out back"
upssalesguy "why is that, mr customer, is it full?"
banana_2.gif

mrcustomer "No, ((company president)) just got back from the super bowl...fedex took her...she just signed a new contract with them"

UPSsalesguy "you are kidding"

mrcustomer "nope"

UPSsalesguy
banana-still.gif

old levi's

blank space
OH no, you guys don't know Alberta.
25 missed businesses, thats taken seriously.

He'll have a morning meeting forsure.

And, thats gonna make another bad day.. just for being in trouble, for nothing he could have done any better.

Thats life though (at UPS).

I feel sorry for him, but after a few days all is forgotten. And life goes on.

I would think that 25 missed businesses would be taken seriously anywhere.

NHDRVR

At what point of the day did you stop and say to yourself, "If one more thing happens, etc, etc...."

When those days come my way I simply shut it down and turn on the auto-pilot extra early.

I refuse to give the guy doing dispatch the satisfaction of knowing he got to me on any given morning.

If he wants me out til' 10 p.m. (which has happened) then that's when I will punch out.

Punch in and get out of the building.

User Name

Only 230 Today?? lol
Have you ever heard of a Pre-Trip?
Talk about self destruction.....

Yeah because during the pre trip u are supposed to take the key and check to see if it works with all the locks. What next, u want me under the hood and see if it has oil............ that is a sup for ya....

M

Mike23

Have you ever heard of a Pre-Trip?
Talk about self destruction.....

I did pretrip. 90% of our gas gauges in the building don't work and drivers become so frustrated about writing them up that they stop writing them up. We also have a policy of filling up your tank when coming back to the building so these things don't happen (although rarely anyone does).

I had 30 airstops to get off my truck, not to mention the 30min airmeet to refill my truck with 100 pkgs. If I stopped for fuel before starting my run I'd have more late air so I was attempting to nulify that. It's not my regular truck, otherwise it would have been fueled.

NEVER during any pretrip have I ever been told or been shown to check all my rear bulkhead with a key. Not to mention, what was I going to do? Crossload an entire truck again? That's just idiotic.

As for the cart, again it wasn't my truck and our depot is so short on carts we literally lock them against a wall or in our trucks. Everyone's leaving so no change to get one from anywhere.

However, I wasn't wanting this thread to become about my one crappy day. I wanted to hear about OTHER peoples crappy days, maybe get a good laugh out of them.

Oh, also I DID get dragged into the office about the 25 missed stops. I was told I was going to get a letter of reprimand and needed to sign it. I asked my sup if he was asking or telling me to sign. He told me he was asking first so I told'em there was no chance in hell. So he said he was telling me to sign. I said ok, but I would grieve it. Then the whole thing changed and I didn't get one, horay! After all, misunderstandings means two people didn't communicate properly, not just one.

Last edited by a moderator:

Overpaid Union Thug

I did pretrip. 90% of our gas gauges in the building don't work and drivers become so frustrated about writing them up that they stop writing them up. We also have a policy of filling up your tank when coming back to the building so these things don't happen (although rarely anyone does).

I had 30 airstops to get off my truck, not to mention the 30min airmeet to refill my truck with 100 pkgs. If I stopped for fuel before starting my run I'd have more late air so I was attempting to nulify that. It's not my regular truck, otherwise it would have been fueled.

NEVER during any pretrip have I ever been told or been shown to check all my rear bulkhead with a key. Not to mention, what was I going to do? Crossload an entire truck again? That's just idiotic.

As for the cart, again it wasn't my truck and our depot is so short on carts we literally lock them against a wall or in our trucks. Everyone's leaving so no change to get one from anywhere.

However, I wasn't wanting this thread to become about my one crappy day. I wanted to hear about OTHER peoples crappy days, maybe get a good laugh out of them.

Oh, also I DID get dragged into the office about the 25 missed stops. I was told I was going to get a letter of reprimand and needed to sign it. I asked my sup if he was asking or telling me to sign. He told me he was asking first so I told'em there was no chance in hell. So he said he was telling me to sign. I said ok, but I would grieve it. Then the whole thing changed and I didn't get one, horay! After all, misunderstandings means two people didn't communicate properly, not just one.

Days like yours are probably more common across the board now with all the extra work we are expected to do due to route cutting. Only the idiot runners and gunners are beating these routes.

wornoutupser

Getting a big AM split area in a rural section and having a Lab make lunch out of my leg-sitting at the doctor for 2 hours- then driving to my "real" area at noon and having the entire front tire/rim/brake bust off the package car at 55 mph and watching it bounce off into the woods-then landing a P-5 without flipping it- and then an hour later my wife drove by-7 months pregnant-and sees me beside a P-5 that is nosed into the dirt!
I delivered 15 stops that day and I had 130.

cino321

Next time do air first then ground; who cares cares about the bulk. That way you cannot be disciplined for having late air. Then, forget trace and deliver all your commercial stops. Who cares if you have 90 stops left after your pick ups, at least you won't miss.

helenofcalifornia

I was going to say to you Mike, that if your supe is denying that you requested help or whatever, send the message in by DIAD and take a picture of the DIAD before you send it in. What a dummy for a supe you have. Or jsut young.

tieguy

Banned

Rumor has it you can take that metal cap thing called a gas cap off and actually look down the tube and see if you have fuel. :happy-very:

Dustyroads

Rumor has it you can take that metal cap thing called a gas cap off and actually look down the tube and see if you have fuel. :happy-very:

Maybe that's the new package car gas guage, take the cap off and look inside. It's not rocket science, I think we could get the gas gauges fixed if the automotive department desired to do so. Just another example of how we let our cars go.

Big Babooba

If it's dark out, light a match!:angel:

tworavens

JuniorMember for 24 Years
Next time do air first then ground; who cares cares about the bulk. That way you cannot be disciplined for having late air. Then, forget trace and deliver all your commercial stops. Who cares if you have 90 stops left after your pick ups, at least you won't miss.

Then you will be disciplined for not following trace:surprised:

I'm glad you posted this before I did.

Question: is it warm if you have never felt cold? Is it rough if there is no smooth?

If you never have a good day at UPS, how can you judge a bad one?

Nertz to you, I thought I was just being funny. Epic fail I guess. Now you've made this my worst day ever.:dead:

hondo

promoted to mediocrity

Not too sure how well that works on a LPG (propane) fueled package car.:confused: