1 second = $333,333.00

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
ME thinks that the point he was trying to make was hidden in the numbers.

And yes, he was talking company wide, not just a few drivers.

To put things into perspective.

Sober gets back to the center later than he was scheduled to return. That makes the hub run behind, which in turn makes the feeder department run behind. That affects the air hub, the larger hubs, and the feeders that deliver their loads to the centers. Then it affects Upstate's delivery portion of the business, and he can not leave the building until 9:45.

The one second here, when compounded throughout our system then becomes a much larger problem. Just like a screwed up dispatch can have a compounding effect on your delivery day.

Then add a bunch of IE folks to the mix, and inept dispatch folks........I say $333,333 is a bargain.

But again, Scott on costs is like Obama on new jobs and a healthy economy. Better watch the other hand.........

d

HULKAMANIA

Yeah you guys are right I misfigured that. I did it right the first time and I thought to myself theres no way that can be right, so I second guessed myelf. I thought 41.5 million was bad. The real figure would be $2,495,997,504,000.

rocket man

Yeah you guys are right I misfigured that. I did it right the first time and I thought to myself theres no way that can be right, so I second guessed myelf. I thought 41.5 million was bad. The real figure would be $2,495,997,504,000.
a good thing it wasnt 333.333.03

ME thinks that the point he was trying to make was hidden in the numbers.

And yes, he was talking company wide, not just a few drivers.

To put things into perspective.

Sober gets back to the center later than he was scheduled to return. That makes the hub run behind, which in turn makes the feeder department run behind. That affects the air hub, the larger hubs, and the feeders that deliver their loads to the centers. Then it affects Upstate's delivery portion of the business, and he can not leave the building until 9:45.

The one second here, when compounded throughout our system then becomes a much larger problem. Just like a screwed up dispatch can have a compounding effect on your delivery day.

Then add a bunch of IE folks to the mix, and inept dispatch folks........I say $333,333 is a bargain.

But again, Scott on costs is like Obama on new jobs and a healthy economy. Better watch the other hand.........

d
Basically that's what I meant by logistics. These guys and gals know everything just sit back and observe the beauty of there logistics. It will make you laugh when you don't let there ineptness bother you and laughing is just plain good and healthy for us all.

kingOFchester

OOPS, semmes like I miss quoted:

UPS estimates a five-minute delay for every UPS vehicle every day costs the
company $100 million annually.

To quote "UPS says a 5 minute daily delay for every vehicle costs the compnay 100 million a year"

Thank you TIVO

Last edited:

Johney

An hour has 60 minutes. Each minute has 60 seconds.
So.......60 times 60 is 3600 seconds in an hour.
I think..........
I'm just a truck driver.........
Yes you are right, I stand corrected. Just showing my bad calculator skills. I had to ask my 17 year old son to follow up, how sad is that:whiteflag:. But I think we all get the point.

rocket man

Figures lie and liars figure-----I believe you could juggle enough numbers on any UPS stat to prove any point - good or bad. I wonder how many millions will be wasted today standing around water coolers discussing this topic?
it takes 30 seconds to go to water cooler get drink and back to work 10 milllion dollars

bluehdmc

What if there is a tailwind, the airplane get to the airport 5 min earlier, the trucks get to the centers 5 min earlier, the preload get done 5 min earlier, and the drivers get out 5 min earlier??????????????

If that happened everyday would the company make 100 million dollars more a year???

Or is stepping over dollars to save pennies and worrying about this kind of bs what happens when you put a bean counter in charge?

We count beans and service doesn't matter.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Yes you are right, I stand corrected. Just showing my bad calculator skills. I had to ask my 17 year old son to follow up, how sad is that :whiteflag:. But I think we all get the point.
Comprehension was not a strong skill either........what was the point again?
What if there is a tailwind, the airplane get to the airport 5 min earlier, the trucks get to the centers 5 min earlier, the preload get done 5 min earlier, and the drivers get out 5 min earlier??????????????

If that happened everyday would the company make 100 million dollars more a year???
Logically, that should follow. But IE says that can not happen. So the plane sits on the runway until the pre-approve unload time set by IE. At that time, they are unloaded, sorted and loaded onto the trucks that seem to be forced to do 55 down the interstates. (just and observation)They pull up to the destination center to be unloaded by the preload that never gets to start earlier, regardless of how early the feeders manage to get them in. So the preload has to handle all the extra volume in the same amount of time because IE, says they should be able to. So the drivers end up leaving 15-20 minutes after their start time, which by the way over the years has been changed from 8:15 in the days before all this technology, to 9:05.

Somehow its better to pay 150 drivers who make 48 bucks an hour overtime a bit more, than to pay the 40 preloaders an extra 5 minutes at the regular rate of 10-12 an hour.

Who am I to argue, all hail IE.

d

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
Here is one for ya. I was told that every driver is supposed to "Call the center" when ever you have a moved, no such number or such non deliverable item. I for one do not use a cell phone for company business, therefor I must now find a phone to call the center with. Depending on where I am this could take me anywhere from 2 to 10 minutes of wasted time. I usually have at least 2 of these daily so that would be 4 to 20 minutes of waste. I am sure most drivers have similar amounts of undeliverable items so I am going to say the company will be spending an average of $100 million a year so we can call in to let them know we have an undeliverable package!!!

Based on the 5 minutes = $100 million statement.