10 hr rule?

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by edd_tv, Dec 10, 2008.

1. edd_tv

edd_tv Cardboard picker upper

all week we have not been allowed to work past 10 hours no matter what

missed pcs do not matter as long as no one goes over 10

have missed over 50 so far and its only wednesday

anyone else seeing the reasoning behind this
  2. KoolBrown79

KoolBrown79 New Member

wow, we arent going that far, if your over 10, they send help if they can, but i never heard an ok to have misses
  3. drewed

drewed Shankman

The ground guarantee is suspended for the month of dec so as long as you get your airs out.....theyre looking later in week when you tend to have the lighter days
  4. cachsux

cachsux Wah

They`re looking later into the week when all of a sudden they need to deliver those packages and decide to make you work on Saturday to deliver them. Enjoy.
  5. satellitedriver

satellitedriver Moderator Staff Member

I have averaged 10hrs a day for the last three years.
    This peak I have been tapping 11 and have gone over that.
    The reason, behind the reasoning, is poor planning and planning for a poor set of corporate numbers for peak,instead of planning for getting all pkgs delivered.
  6. Cementups

Cementups Box Monkey

they actuall took work off me today cause I told them I wasn't going to make 9.5 with what I had.
  7. satellitedriver

satellitedriver Moderator Staff Member

Daily I send my air in with another driver, so he can make the air pull and I just stay out til all is delivered.
  8. Big Babooba

Big Babooba Well-Known Member

I've been averaging close to 11 hours a day with a runner. I don't know why I have one, I'm out in the country. I guess they want me to have somebody to talk to. Today we did 156 stops and drove 156 miles. Two guys doing 1 stop per mile - at least I've got somebody to talk to!
  9. Monkey Butt

Monkey Butt You can call me Chappy Staff Member

Flavor of the week
  10. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

Drewed, when does the air commit get suspended? Is it Monday?
  11. barnyard

barnyard KTM rider Staff Member

We were told not to go over 9.1 if we had a helper. That went out the door on Monday, but not over 11. Lots of guys over 10.5. but there is still quite a few under 9.5.

12. WyoBrown

WyoBrown New Member

We got the lecture yesterday to NOT go over 13. Ive been averaging 12 to 13 hours for 2 weeks now, a 10 hr day would be heaven. UPS severely underestimated the volume here, only one seasonal driver was hired and no additional helpers. We are sinking! Oh...and we lost 2 drivers to DUI's last week. Merry Christmas to the sober ones :/
  13. Fnix

Fnix Active Member

So we dont service packages to meet imaginary numbers? If UPS was a hospital and a surgeon was doing surgery he would stop in the middle of the operation so he wouldnt go over 10 hours.
  14. trplnkl

trplnkl 555

I've been working 10-11 hour days fairly consistently for the last 3-4 months. Here they say not to go over 12, but when it appears you might go over they say don't go over 13, then if....well I wonder how long they will stretch it.
    One day they will end up telling us just make sure we get back in time to reload the truck for the next day.
  15. dilligaf

dilligaf IN VINO VERITAS

10 hr rule :blahblah::blahblah::blahblah::blahblah: I have pushing 12 hrs every day this week. I'm tired and I would really like to get home one night this week before 9pm. (make that 8)

We can't go ever 12 hrs without prior approval.
  16. edd_tv

edd_tv Cardboard picker upper

well i heard that in our division the day after they decided to implement this rule we missed over 1000 peices
  17. drewed

drewed Shankman

ummm i honestly dont remember when they did it last year..... with the volume levels lower they may hold out another couple days and make it one week till xmas..... i dont even remember when theyre saying peak day will be..
  18. rod

rod retired and happy

They are usually wrong anyway:wink2:
  19. New Englander

New Englander New Member

I heard Wednesday.
  20. New Englander

New Englander New Member

We all have been working 11+ most of us 12hrs.