10 step pay raises

Oldfart

Yeah, I guess those of us who hung in there for the pension despite the crappy raises, then had the pension plan terminated, should have been out there in a near collapsed economy looking for something better. You work close to 15 years next to people not only making considerably more than you but are getting bigger raises than you, then have them screw you on your pension too, and then come talk to me about complainers. Of course you're just trolling to get a rise out of us but if you haven't put in the time under those conditions then you don't have a clue.
Wait. You said people are making MORE than you AND getting bigger raises. You just contradicted a CLAIM that people that were not topped out got UP TO 7% raises. People that were topped out got 3% raises. Even if I make more, YOUR raise is more % and more $ than mine. That kinda proves you argue just for the sake of arguing. Your facts are totally wrong.

What lie are you gonna tell next?

Oldfart

If the company hands new hire a packet with the pay steps, how can anyone CLAIM the company still promises new hires 7-10% raises. It is right there on the sheet of paper. More whining and no facts.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
If paying through the nose makes you feel safe then by all means do. You just can't seem to grasp that as a FedEx employee I got much less in compensation than you did and thus have to consider alternatives. I didn't have leftover pay to invest enough to supplement my pension. A pension considerably smaller. While you assume that things are a certain way I've been in contact with people for 20+ years who actually live here, including during the worst of the cartel wars. You just don't realize the scope of American investment down here or the access to the U.S. through the internet. Not to mention we're connected by cheap flights without resorting to standby tickets. I've never said it was perfect but it's an easy choice to be here if the alternative is to barely scrape by between my pension and some crap job into my 70's. What's the adage? When life gives you lemons...
Stop justifying your decision to the 'tards. Haters gonna hate. La vida loca, compadre.

fdxsux

6.5% raises? We have never gotten 6.5% yearly raises.

Try being truthful instead of making excuses. We have never gotten 6.5% raises for them to take away. Maybe once or twice they made an adjustment, but a steady 6.5% raise has never been the norm. You are just trying to justify a poor work ethic if that is your best argument.

Affordable insurance. I pay about $200 a month for family health, dental and vision. Sounds pretty affordable to me. Ask some of your customers what they pay? With the exception of a few, our premiums are gonna be better than many.

You do tell the truth about the traditional. But in today's workforce, a traditional pension is a thing in the past. It barely exists. The portable has a few advantages that the traditional didn't. If a person was single, the traditional had no provision to leave your pension to anyone other than a spouse. You die, it went away. The portable can be left to anyone. If a person is counting on a pension alone to retire on, he will be eating beenie weenies in retirement. You retire on your 401k and your pension will supplement that. Your traditional was about 50% of your best 5 years salary. If you want to live comfortably in retirement, you better have more than 50% coming in.
When I hired on your raise was based off your review. If you got a 7 on your review you got a 6.5% raise. I usually got a 6.9 on my review. That gave me a 6.2% raise. It was that way for my first few years. As for the health insurance, if you believe $200 a month for a plan with a $2000 deductible and $5000 out of pocket max per person is affordable, we will just have to agree to disagree.

Nolimitz

The years with a $500 deductible went out with bias belted tires. Do some research and you will see that anyone with a $1500 or lower deductible is either a government worker or a union worker.

You are so full of BS it's scary. I declined ins. and am on my wife's policy.
$500 ded. and annual max out of pocket is $1500. She is neither a gov't employee or union. My previous job in electronics had/still has same type of bennies

Oldfart

You are so full of BS it's scary. I declined ins. and am on my wife's policy.
$500 ded. and annual max out of pocket is $1500. She is neither a gov't employee or union. My previous job in electronics had/still has same type of bennies
Not the norm from what I find. There are exceptions

Oldfart

If everyone knows where to make more money and have better benifits, why are they not working there. Working at FDX and whining and crying everyday doesnt make sense to me.

It will be fine

When I hired on your raise was based off your review. If you got a 7 on your review you got a 6.5% raise. I usually got a 6.9 on my review. That gave me a 6.2% raise. It was that way for my first few years. As for the health insurance, if you believe $200 a month for a plan with a $2000 deductible and $5000 out of pocket max per person is affordable, we will just have to agree to disagree.
That insurance is very affordable. I pay much higher premiums and have a higher deductible.

Meat

If everyone knows where to make more money and have better benifits, why are they not working there. Working at FDX and whining and crying everyday doesnt make sense to me.

The funny thing is the most ardent naysayers never utilize the tuition reimbursement. I asked Van about it earlier, and he must be having a bandwidth issue; otherwise, he would be posting about all the classes he took on the company's dime.

Last edited:

SmithBarney

... pay about $200 a month for family health, dental and vision. Sounds pretty affordable to me. Ask some of your customers what they pay...

Try $400+/mo for a family 100/w for the premium plan, 90/week for the lower plan
Don't ask customers, just ask your check out nurse when leaving the doctors office, most comment on how high our rates are.

Most of them don't get the $900 HRA account we get. You roll over some of that and next thing you know, your sitting on an HRA account that has enough to pay your deductible.

HRA rollover... haha wouldn't know a family of 5 blows through that in the first 3-4months of the year.

SmithBarney

I just had a new hire ride with me. He showed me the packet they gave him. The pay scale was in that packet. I clearly shows the progression that was shown in the top of this post. NO WHERE was 6.5% raises in there.

Talk about telling lies!!!
Do the math, each step comes pretty close to 6-10% but remember they dropped the "10-year progression" terminology, and now just say 10-steps... It's assumed that they are yearly steps, but we all know FDX. I foresee "due to unstable political climate, FDX has decided to postpone this years pay actions"

vantexan

That is why you NEVER stop working on your marketable skills. Tell me, how many times did you take advantage of the tuition reimbursement? You claim that you knew decades ago that America was leaving a certain section of its population behind. If your so prescient, why didn't you prepare or take advantage of the tuition reimbursement? Sounds like another classic case of somebody sitting on their derrière, waiting for the government to solve their problems - conservative values, indeed!
You see, you don't know the job at all. I was a swing many of those years, a 4X10 cover driver for years also. Worked a lot of long hours, variable shifts. So Mr.Know-It-All, let's see you work long hours on heavy rts then go to school. Yeah, guys like you work minimal hours and go to school to get into management so that you don't have to work. I was a courier, tops in productivity in most of the places I worked, and proud of my work ethic. I was doing what I wanted to do, and was working towards getting my pension so that I could continue to do what I want. Part of what I'm doing now is of necessity, but mostly I want to see the world. My wife and I are moving to Europe in two months to do just that. I worked very hard towards this goal, kept my end of the bargain. FedEx on the other hand screwed us because people at the top of this organization think success is ever bigger numbers in their bank accounts, and they're willing to lie, cheat, and steal to get their grubby little fingers on more. And you think the solution is to get a degree so that you can help people like this make more and more, and get thrown a bone like the little lapdog you are.

vantexan

Concerning the pay increases. You must not have worked here before 2008 because it was "your understanding" how raises went. If I make a few more dollars than newer employees because I am topped out, and they are getting up to 7% raises and I am getting 3%, why am I still making a few more dollars that those same employees? If he is getting 7%, that is about $1.25 per year. I am getting 3%, which is .60 or so. In 3 or 4 years, he has gotten close to $3.75 in raises and I have gotten less than $2. Why is the difference in our salary still the same few dollars. I have never heard of any review resulting in a 7% raise, but if you say it did, I will just have to believe you. I just don't see how anyone could get double my raise for a number of years and still make less than me.

I got hired as a handler in the Memphis Hub in 1986. Two years later became a FT courier in Connecticut. 23 months after that I was topped out. And I believe topping out was even faster when you started. Wasn't long after I topped out they doubled the time it takes to 4 years. I remember a lot of us thinking then that those guys are getting screwed. And of course we topped out people went through a stretch in the 90's, about 4.5 years, where we got no raise. I quit in mid '97 right after getting a 39 cent raise and my mgr told me that's the only raise we were going to see for a long time. Didn't work out, came back in late '98 to find on our lowest payscale topped out was getting $16.11 on B payscale. I left at $13.50 on C payscale, which was now eliminated. Started over at $10.85hr. And they had a raise system in place based on reviews. Topped out people were given further adjustments and were very quickly making $6hr+ more than starting pay. But that was ok, we were getting good raises, and eventually we'd all top out in 7-8 years like management was telling everyone. Nope. After a few years they halved the raises we were getting. Then raise them just a little. And then scrapped that for 2% raises a number of years, one year no raise. And as I've said after 14 years I was at 18.17. And all the while they were telling newhires they'll top out in 7-8 years. And those of us who had been around awhile knew that they were lying. The lying caught up with them, and now there's a new pay plan in place to keep the younger generation happy.

vantexan

Wait. You said people are making MORE than you AND getting bigger raises. You just contradicted a CLAIM that people that were not topped out got UP TO 7% raises. People that were topped out got 3% raises. Even if I make more, YOUR raise is more % and more $ than mine. That kinda proves you argue just for the sake of arguing. Your facts are totally wrong.

What lie are you gonna tell next?
See my last post. The fact is you topped out a long time ago and were oblivious to what was going on around you. It was working for you, so must be working for everyone, right? By the way, there were a number of years that topped out people got 3% and we got 2%. If you make $15hr and get 2%, that's 30 cents. Topped out guy making $21hr(just throwing out numbers for comparison), got 63 cents on 3%. Year over year you guys were pulling away from us. At the same time starting pay was increasing 3%. After a number of years midrange employees were way behind top out, and not far ahead of starting pay. And then with the new pay plan employees with 10+ years were starting near bottom rung, no reward for all those years of hard work. Anyone who thinks the company was fair to midrange employees during this period is either oblivious, deranged, or a lying schill. Which are you?

Last edited:

Oldfart

Try $400+/mo for a family 100/w for the premium plan, 90/week for the lower plan
Don't ask customers, just ask your check out nurse when leaving the doctors office, most comment on how high our rates are.

HRA rollover... haha wouldn't know a family of 5 blows through that in the first 3-4months of the year.

Sorry Smith "YOU JUST DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT". My medical is $35.77 per week. Dental is $7.95 a week. Vision is $3.95 a week. That is less than $50 per week. Those are ALL family rates. Comes straight from my pay stub. Not gonna call you a liar, even though you are trying to justify WRONG information and it proves you are indeed a whiner. I will instead say you are just misinformed about the insurance premiums.

Last edited: