Courier Base Rate Step Progression

MAKAVELI

The wages would differ slightly but, as you said, the tips would not even be close.
That's my point. The difference in wages would be insignificant. Those type of jobs vary so greatly on location and specific type of business. He is grasping for straws at attempting to draw a comparison.

Oldfart

That's my point. The difference in wages would be insignificant. Those type of jobs vary so greatly on location and specific type of business. He is grasping for straws at attempting to draw a comparison.
Just like a courier job in NYC varies from a courier job in Little Rock. Both pu and del packages but the actual task is totally different between the 2 cities.

MAKAVELI

Just like a courier job in NYC varies from a courier job in Little Rock. Both pu and del packages but the actual task is totally different between the 2 cities.
No not just like a courier. The doorman relies on the tips from the customers as his main source of income. The difference between the doorman in NYC and Little Rock would be the customers, not the job.

MAKAVELI

For that matter 2 routes in the city can be completely different. Does that mean the two routes should be paid differently?

It will be fine

For that matter 2 routes in the city can be completely different. Does that mean the two routes should be paid differently?
I pay different routes differently. They can dispatch from the same building, go to adjacent areas and take the same amount of time. If one of those routes has a driver that can be say 20% more productive in stops he will be paid more. That makes the most sense to me, more work done in the same amount of time should equal more compensation.

MAKAVELI

I pay different routes differently. They can dispatch from the same building, go to adjacent areas and take the same amount of time. If one of those routes has a driver that can be say 20% more productive in stops he will be paid more. That makes the most sense to me, more work done in the same amount of time should equal more compensation.
Yeah that's ground. We are talking about Express. Both UPS and Express don't pay based on productivity.

dex 84

I was told by a manager that the last job fair we had, only eight people were said to be qualified. Six showed interest he said, but only one of six passed the drug screen.

5 of 6 applicants already had a coping mechanism in place to deal with the stress of working at Fedex. Too bad that precludes them from getting the job...

dex 84

The geography of your route shouldn't have anything to do with your hourly rate but the cost of living should. If they based the market levels off cost of living it could be a fair system.

We could play a game where everyone said what a $250,000 house is in their area and we would get some drastically different answers.

Oldfart

The geography of your route shouldn't have anything to do with your hourly rate but the cost of living should. If they based the market levels off cost of living it could be a fair system.

We could play a game where everyone said what a $250,000 house is in their area and we would get some drastically different answers.

Bingo. Regardless of what is said on here. Cost of living is a consideration when assigning market levels. Retention rates are a reflection of pay rates. If an employee is making 60k a year in a market that takes 500k to buy a 1000 sq. ft home, you are not gonna retain many people. I don't know all of the variables involved in market levels, but salary and cost of living is for sure a factor in employee retention. If anyone has been to Hawaii and seen what things cost there, you will understand why they make a bigger salary. When you are paying close to $9 for a gallon of milk, you need to make more than a Little Rock courier where milk cost less than $3 per gallon.

MAKAVELI

Bingo. Regardless of what is said on here. Cost of living is a consideration when assigning market levels. Retention rates are a reflection of pay rates. If an employee is making 60k a year in a market that takes 500k to buy a 1000 sq. ft home, you are not gonna retain many people. I don't know all of the variables involved in market levels, but salary and cost of living is for sure a factor in employee retention. If anyone has been to Hawaii and seen what things cost there, you will understand why they make a bigger salary. When you are paying close to $9 for a gallon of milk, you need to make more than a Little Rock courier where milk cost less than $3 per gallon.
The problem with your argument is there are many areas around the country where the cost of living is high and the market level doesn't reflect the COL. Again if UPS who has more employees can make it work without market levels, why can't we?

dex 84

It's a poorly implemented system though. I don't think the increase in pay is quite proportional to the increase in cost of living in a lot of circumstances, and also there are areas with the same cost of living but different market levels.

I know it's not based on cost of living but it should be.

And if I had to guess, I'd say fedex employees in Hawaii are probably barely scraping by even at the highest payscale.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Ability based compensation?

Oldfart

I am sure. We lost a good many that either failed or got caught cheating. Easy money. 2 hours. 90 questions. OPEN book.