100 degrees and Women told not able to wear Tank Tops

PT Car Washer

Seriously guys....

The lady is basically getting harassed at work, so she comes here looking for advice and gets more of the same thing?

She and her co-worker are being singled out for unfair treatment simply because they are female. Its wrong.

She is a grown woman. She can dress herself.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Seriously guys....

The lady is basically getting harassed at work, so she comes here looking for advice and gets more of the same thing?

She and her co-worker are being singled out for unfair treatment simply because they are female. Its wrong.

When management asks ridiculous requests they should receive ridiculous answers. This employee has to learn to how the game is played, how to respond in a way that makes their immediate supervisor know they can't push them around. No better way then to show that by making said sup feel stupid for even thinking of asking such a ludicrous request of them. Perhaps next time he'll think twice before opening his trap, walk away, and leave the employees alone to do their job.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
When management asks ridiculous requests they should receive ridiculous answers. This employee has to learn to how the game is played, how to respond in a way that makes their immediate supervisor know they can't push them around. No better way then to show that by making said sup feel stupid for even thinking of asking such a ludicrous request of them. Perhaps next time he'll think twice before opening his trap, walk away, and leave the employees alone to do their job.

I agree, but telling her to embarass herself by wearing a white t-shirt with no bra is not the way to accomplish that. There are better methods she could use to stick up for her rights, such as filing an ART 37 grievance or mentioning to the sup that what he is saying borders on sexual harassment. I have a 24 yr old daughter who has had to deal with sexual harassment in the workplace and its no laughing matter.

I would wear the tank top tomorrow.. If the Sup says a thing, get a shop stewart, and then have the sup explain to you and your rep the problem. When he claims females can not wear them, and men can. say OK.. You then have to make a decision. 1) wear something else and keep working, and while working go to your local EEOC office with names dates and witness names as well and file a discrimination charge 2) keep wearing the tank top, and then you may get fired, file a grievance, and then go to the EEOC and file a charge of discrimination, again take all documentation, names dates etc. It would be best if you and your friend did it together to strengthen your case.. This girl here has been at UPS for 26 years and has seen how they discriminate against women. Stand your ground, stand tall and dont take that crap.. If men can wear tank tops, you should be able to as well. If the guys at the hub have a problem with you wearing one, they need not look at you. If they can not control themselves by seeing a women in a tank top, they need to get some help as they may be threat to society. Are you in G'vill SC ? I grew up there.. Be strong Girl !!!
Who is Stewart ???

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I agree, but telling her to embarass herself by wearing a white t-shirt with no bra is not the way to accomplish that. There are better methods she could use to stick up for her rights, such as filing an ART 37 grievance or mentioning to the sup that what he is saying borders on sexual harassment. I have a 24 yr old daughter who has had to deal with sexual harassment in the workplace and its no laughing matter.
"Would you rather me not wear a sports bra and a sleeved white shirt while dripping in sweat?", she says to the wet behind the ears sup.

She's worked there for over three years, presumably for three summers wearing the same attire. This is an isolated incident and easily handled by using the same technique he is, insinuate what you mean without doing it. I think that alone will get your point across without starting a "he harassed me, I can't work under him, I feel uncomfortable around him" scenario

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Who is Stewart ???

MV5BMjAzNTM1MTU4NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNjQ3Mjk4._V1_SY98_CR1,0,67,98_.jpg
Everyone should keep one in their pocket.
MV5BMjAzNTM1MTU4NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNjQ3Mjk4._V1_SY98_CR1,0,67,98_.jpg

soberups

I'm a female loader. I was told years ago that tank tops on women is not considered appropriate work attire. So, on the really hot days, i'll wear a tshirt with the sleeves cut off. They don't say anything about that.

Why just for women? What gives the company the right to have different standards for men than for women?

nicky

Heres my suggestion, wear it any way. They cant fire you... Well I mean they can but it wont stick because in all reality they can fire anyone for anything. I would also demand to know who is reporting me, and if its a union member take that up with a steward. I dont take kindly to a brother or sister throwing another under the bus. Fill out a grievance based on article 37, also fill out another based on sexual DISCRIMINATION. You are being forced to wear something different based on your sex. Make a mental note of anyone and everyone with a tank top on and if and when it is brought up again bring up that employees a,b,c and d all wear them and ask if they are having the same conversation with them. Then retrieve the grievances and hand them to the sup! I promise this will stop.

kingOFchester

Why just for women? What gives the company the right to have different standards for men than for women?

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but something that has crossed my mind.

In my building it can get well over 100 degrees with a high humidity. I have seen loaders dripping with sweat. Looking like they just walked out of the shower. What if a well endowed female wore a white T with no bra? Walking around like a wet t-shirt contest. Should this be allowed? After all, If the males don't have to wear bra's, should females be forced to?

Nimnim

The Nim
The only times I've heard of a complaint about what any female employees attire, it was always made by another female employee. At least in my experience the guys, if they find the female attractive aren't going to complain because they like what they see, or just don't care enough.

Now at least when I was hired, it's not posted anywhere I know of, inside employees were given a loose dress code that did include "no sleeveless shirts" it's been many years since I was hired so it's possible to have changed, however even if it hasn't I can on any given day point out 10 guys just in the unload/sort that wear tank tops which would be in violation. There was no gender listings in the dress code when I was hired so the loose standards applied to all evenly.

If you're being bothered for wearing a tank top again, ask if any of the guys around are being told they shouldn't wear sleeveless attire. If that doesn't stop it, you've got a very easy article 37, employee management relations (harassment), grievance you can file, unless they decide to enforce towards everyone they can't go with tank tops.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
My guess would be the girl (maybe management) a 100 ft away from the good looking girls. Is the one complaining. Most guys will never complain

Returntosender

There is only room for one beauty queen on a UPS shift. 1 average looking woman amongest hundreds of men eventually will start looking like Kate Upton. Imo" Men get tired of looking at other men for 3+ hours."

soberups

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but something that has crossed my mind.

In my building it can get well over 100 degrees with a high humidity. I have seen loaders dripping with sweat. Looking like they just walked out of the shower. What if a well endowed female wore a white T with no bra? Walking around like a wet t-shirt contest. Should this be allowed? After all, If the males don't have to wear bra's, should females be forced to?

It is none of the company's business what sort of underwear, if any, should be worn by its employees.

The company does have the right to set reasonable appearance standards and if it wants to ban tank tops thats fine but it should apply to everyone and not just well-endowed females.

The fact that men apperently cant stop themselves from staring at breasts long enough to concentrate on their work should not automatically require that the women who own those breasts go to extreme and uncomfortable measures to cover them up.

If a well-endowed woman in a wet t-shirt walked by me at work, would I look? Of course I would, I'm human and I like looking at boobies just as much as the next guy. That doesnt mean I would drop everything I was doing and just stand there ogling at her though. At some point its time for people to grow up and do their jobs regardless of the distractions. They are just boobies, half the people on the planet have them, and if you want to look at them there are about a bajillion places on the Internet that will allow you to do so. Or you can go to the library and look at old issues of National Geographic.

czalinsky

Glad you agree Toons that women are hateful and jealous evil beings. If you weren't one we'd let you join our club.
Well you all were right. It was a woman. Actually, several... But it wasn't towards my co-worker and I. There is another girl (young and large chested) that the actual complaint was made too, But here's the kicker. They haven't said anything to her. The women in her area were complaining cuz her tanks weren't covering everything enough to their liking & the guys were stopping and talking to her (not her fault) How did I find this out? Well I went to our union steward today to tell what had happened and her and another women starting telling me everything. What's even funnier is when I mentioned the whole No bra white shirt comment on here our steward said well I don't wear a bra (much older lady large chested, gross) but she somehow had a problem with the young girls attire. (By the way , she was covered) steward made this comment "I don't understand how you could be cooler wearing three shirts even though they are spaghetti straps versus a T-shirt." She wears a bra, sports bra, tight tank and a loose one... I did wear my normal tank today and nothing was said. And steward said mine was fine. Hahaha. What's sad is if this you g lady has a problem about this, she's not going to be able to go to the steward becuz she is one of the ladies against it. Go figure!!! I will give her all the great advice here. Thanks everyone!!!

ChickenLegs

Safety Expert
Glad it worked out for you (for a second I thought this might be another troll thread from jazz hands). I hope you still filed art 37 in addition to talking with your steward. Nothing stops unless its documented