110 year sentence for truck driver....see?

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
How was the law ignored?

IMO Strange question but regarding the issue being discussed, yes.
The law required him to a sentence of 110 years (as the BS media stated) and he got out of it within 30 :censored2:ing days!!!
This is not a strange question. I'm trying to understand why you "feel" the cuban killer doesn't deserve to be in prison longer...I know; it's because you "feel sorry for him"....

You don't care about the victims or their loved ones as much as you do the killer....

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
Potter no the other 2 will we ever know ?
Probably not
Just talking about Potter for a second....People have been programmed to hate white cops doing their jobs as if they are incapable of having emotions or erring on the side of safety. The cuban truck driver had multiple opportunities to prevent a horrible outcome, but he's cuban, young and not a white cop, so he literally gets away with killing 4 people with a slap on the wrist.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
Just talking about Potter for a second....People have been programmed to hate white cops doing their jobs as if they are incapable of having emotions or erring on the side of safety. The cuban truck driver had multiple opportunities to prevent a horrible outcome, but he's cuban, young and not a white cop, so he literally gets away with killing 4 people with a slap on the wrist.
I would lay odds that Potter wins on appeal. She had the right to use deadly force, never mind a Taser.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
The first judge tried
What are you gonna do

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
I would lay odds that Potter wins on appeal. She had the right to use deadly force, never mind a Taser.
The liberals probably don't want their constituents to get angry and not vote for them though....Never mind the rioting, looting, lawlessness (oh yeah, that doesn't seem to matter that much)....

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
How many trucks/trailers do you think have non-functioning brakes (at 1 or more wheels), some other brake "defect"?

I'm sure it happens more than most of us realize.
TL,DR:
  • My guess would be a lot. Some of them probably UPS trucks/ trailers.
Yes!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm sure it happens more than most of us realize.

I would conservatively estimate I find at least 3-5 pretty serious brake defects per week, on trailers on company property, without a red tag on them. That means the previous driver(s) didn't know (or care) how to spot problems on a pre/post-trip inspection, or a decent 'seat of the pants' evaluation.
The key difference is he knew they was not working
I only read 1 news article, and it's not clear to me when he knew they were not working. Did he know this at that day's pre-trip, or at the mountain roadside check station; or when he realized he was going downhill too fast, and, oh no, the brakes aren't slowing the truck down. What specifically wasn't working?

He passed up the runaway truck ramps

He was also doing 80 and a 45 mph zone

Was he doing doing 80 in 45 mph zone because there was a brake issue he didn't care (or more likely know) about? Or perhaps he was riding along at the speed of traffic, which could have easily been too fast even if all the brakes were working acceptably (maybe traffic was going 50, but he should have slowed to 40 before starting downhill?); try to downshift then, and miss it, and oh snap 80 mph comes up quick. Brakes slow/stop you by converting your kinetic energy (motion) to heat. And there's a limit to how much heat, and how quickly it's generated. Get to that limit, and kiss your brakes goodbye!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I just found this article:Trailer brakes were 'basically nonexistent', defense witness says , glancing through it:
  • a defense witness (truck mechanic/trade school instructor) said basically: trailer brakes weren't working, tractor brakes had been doing all the work.
I can believe that he may have been fine on the other legs of that trip, if this was the first stretch mountains he came through, and may have been empty or had lighter loads. I have come across trailer brakes this bad, and newer equipment (like I believe the tractor was) have stronger brakes, masking the trailer problem.

Another article said the driver didn't know exactly where the runaway pit was, and was swerving around vehicles. Was even going to try rubbing the guard rail but there was already a truck stopped on the shoulder in his way. I can easily see how he could have missed his chance at the runaway pit.

A lot of what ifs?:
  • the previous drivers who handled that trailer knew enough to find it needed brake service, and had it fixed.
  • the driver's company made sure the drivers they hired knew enough to properly inspect/evaluate brakes, and the drivers wouldn't suffer financially for stopping to get brakes fixed.
  • more training/testing required for class A cdl, or maybe a special endorsement or experience requirement for mountain driving
  • more truck inspections done, maybe actual inspectors on duty at the mountain roadside inspection lane; instead of drivers who don't know what to look for, or can't afford to take a chance with their employment by questioning the equipment.

Integrity

Binge Poster
TL,DR:

Yes!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would conservatively estimate I find at least 3-5 pretty serious brake defects per week, on trailers on company property, without a red tag on them. That means the previous driver(s) didn't know (or care) how to spot problems on a pre/post-trip inspection, or a decent 'seat of the pants' evaluation.

I only read 1 news article, and it's not clear to me when he knew they were not working. Did he know this at that day's pre-trip, or at the mountain roadside check station; or when he realized he was going downhill too fast, and, oh no, the brakes aren't slowing the truck down. What specifically wasn't working?

Was he doing doing 80 in 45 mph zone because there was a brake issue he didn't care (or more likely know) about? Or perhaps he was riding along at the speed of traffic, which could have easily been too fast even if all the brakes were working acceptably (maybe traffic was going 50, but he should have slowed to 40 before starting downhill?); try to downshift then, and miss it, and oh snap 80 mph comes up quick. Brakes slow/stop you by converting your kinetic energy (motion) to heat. And there's a limit to how much heat, and how quickly it's generated. Get to that limit, and kiss your brakes goodbye!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I just found this article:Trailer brakes were 'basically nonexistent', defense witness says , glancing through it:
  • a defense witness (truck mechanic/trade school instructor) said basically: trailer brakes weren't working, tractor brakes had been doing all the work.
I can believe that he may have been fine on the other legs of that trip, if this was the first stretch mountains he came through, and may have been empty or had lighter loads. I have come across trailer brakes this bad, and newer equipment (like I believe the tractor was) have stronger brakes, masking the trailer problem.

Another article said the driver didn't know exactly where the runaway pit was, and was swerving around vehicles. Was even going to try rubbing the guard rail but there was already a truck stopped on the shoulder in his way. I can easily see how he could have missed his chance at the runaway pit.

A lot of what ifs?:
  • the previous drivers who handled that trailer knew enough to find it needed brake service, and had it fixed.
  • the driver's company made sure the drivers they hired knew enough to properly inspect/evaluate brakes, and the drivers wouldn't suffer financially for stopping to get brakes fixed.
  • more training/testing required for class A cdl, or maybe a special endorsement or experience requirement for mountain driving
  • more truck inspections done, maybe actual inspectors on duty at the mountain roadside inspection lane; instead of drivers who don't know what to look for, or can't afford to take a chance with their employment by questioning the equipment.
Very nice post. Informative.

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
Did you read the linked article, where a truck mechanic/trade school instructor testified about the operation of the trailer brakes?
Yes. There were some "facts" in what you posted, but also more questions...Nothing against you, but the Trade School Instructor isn't really an Expert witness, plus he was hired by the Defense...Not clearly impartial.

Integrity

Binge Poster
The law required him to a sentence of 110 years (as the BS media stated) and he got out of it within 30 :censored2:ing days!!!
I guess the Governor had a different view.
This is not a strange question. I'm trying to understand why you "feel" the cuban killer doesn't deserve to be in prison longer...I know; it's because you "feel sorry for him"....
I do not feel sorry for him. I do have compassion for all those affected by this horrific accident.
You don't care about the victims or their loved ones as much as you do the killer....
I care for all.