15 - 22.3 jobs eliminated at Boeing Field Hub!!!

drewed

Shankman
Yes, that is correct. All article 22.3 states that full timers cannot be layoff

It doesnt say that, the only thing, the only thing the company did wrong was they didnt follow the procedure of it.

I feel for you guys, and the situation as you stated in the last post is wrong and needs to be fixed

I'mTheMan

Hey look guys. At the Union Hall, at the meetings that we had last week said that the BFI management had ignored 60 days notice for layoffs or cut back to part time. Plus BFI management also ignored 45 days of "Change of Operation" in very last minute on Aug 1st. So this is why union said 4 charges, 3 grievances filed. These type of things will be brought up to the judge when union presents it's evidence to them in the panel in September. So when we asked the Union President and Secretary of Treasure, we asked that if the managements changes it's mind and decided to leave night sort open, can the cut off 15 full timers have the right to return back to BFI? Their answer? YES. Union said we have the right to return back to BFI and do our job! Plus Secretary of Treasure says that he called Washington D.C. to confirm this and they also specify said that full timers CANNOT go to part time and it must be stayed FULL TIME or offer relocation to somewhere else to keep staying FULL TIME. Also last thing, BFI also ignored to bring in request of the business agents to presents for the meeting regarding our full timers, they didn't do that. Had to use shop steward to take notes. Thats why managements told us to go part time and remove our BFI badge to the management. I don't know if I am being clear this to you? Or are you still not understanding that article 22.3? Because I have a new contract paper and it was explained at the meeting last week with the union. It's understandable that we are not supposed to be back to PART TIME. We're suppose to do our job and since BFI management ignored bunch of things and lying about it, then we have the right to return to BFI unless if the judge agree that BFI managers lied bunch of things to us. I apologized if this wasn't clear to you but I am trying to be nice about it when I possibly can, ok? This is why BFI managements is doing so many wrong things by recalling part timers to go work and double shifter to take our jobs of what 15 of us got cut to part time to hub. Thats why union says it can't do that either. We have to return our FULL TIME jobs sometime soon after judge reaches it's decision soon.

Fredless

APWA Hater
How was the management working situation? That is the best way to fight layoffs. Do you have any contacts with the part-timers inside right now? It will greatly help the unions position if they can get a lot of good, solid management working greivances to back up the seniority violations.
Who, what, how long, where, why and witnesses! Just don't write any of that on the front, management will do their homework to the fullest on this situation and don't give them easy information.
I'm sure the company will roll the dice and take this to arbitration. Make sure all of you are in the same boat together screaming as one.

Best of luck to you all, I really feel for you.

I'mTheMan

It was already been taken care of. All the part timers who currently work with inside BFI has already thrown in support with the union. They also have asked union that to put cut 15 full timers to return back to BFI. Right now the 15 cut full timers who were sent back to part time working 20 hours a week. Sometime they and myself are pushing double shifting for awhile till we get our full time job back to BFI after the judge make's it decision. I'm hoping it is not going to be deadlock unless if it is, then we'll have to wait tll october or go straight to Washington D.C. for national panel with the judge. We all hoping if we could get back to our jobs at BFI full time in late September. See how it goes from there. We'll keep you guys posted when I go stop by union hall tomorrow and see if there's any update. I'm hoping that union are doing the right thing right now as we'll see.

tieguy

Banned
I apologized for the week delay as been things overwhelmed with work at Seattle Hub, unions, and home. As you know I was cut from full time BFI to part time Seattle hub, well we all of us full timers and part timers went to the union hall last week on saturday. The meeting lasted over 3 to 4 hours I believed. A lots of talks going on. The union is on top of everything of what happened. There's 4 charges, 3 grievances against the UPS for violating the contract. The Union says that Full Timers CANNOT be layoffs or cut back to part time. It CANNOT do that. .

contract language for 22.3 jobs has always been vague. Did your union list the contract language that they feel supports their position?

barrycold

I'm 22.3 and I got layoff in July but it was suppose to be temporary but I just found out they eliminated my job. I guess anything could happen at UPS

I'mTheMan

Just the article 22.3 full time jobs that are layoff and cut to part time which management that are processing right now. I'm a combo 22.3 full time job with BFI that got cut to part time to Seattle Hub.

tieguy

Banned
Just the article 22.3 full time jobs that are layoff and cut to part time which management that are processing right now. I'm a combo 22.3 full time job with BFI that got cut to part time to Seattle Hub.

Its an interesting labor issue. I don't think the contract supports putting the bfi jobs back. I think the best your local can hope for is to force the company to create those jobs somewhere else.

I'mTheMan

Well we'll see what the fight is going to be between Union and UPS when it goes to with the Judge in September. As it's stand right now, there will be no new job created this year as it is on hold from what I've been hearing. Right now as it what I heard from the union saying that it need to work on the article 22.3 that cut full time jobs needs to be back on full time. That is all I heard but I will be stopping by the union hall tomorrow and see what's any update going to be. If they already heard that BFI management already decided it that night sort will remain open then it needs something to do about this as us cut full timers who moved back to part time. We'll see how it goes from there. I'll keep you posted this week when I hear anything more.

I'mTheMan

Today, I went to the Union Hall and seeing what is going on for us. I have update for you guys. This is what I am hearing is that the union and management will have a meeting on Sept 2nd and go through this discussion and discuss about getting full of it's full timers back on the job to BFI. The workers has heard that night sort will still open but 15 more full timers will be cut to part time by end of the month. The union otherwise, still heard night sort will close on 6th of September. If there's no agreement is reached by September 2nd, then by September 15th, they will go to panel and see the judge there. Union is going to try to see if they have their will power to fight us to get us back to BFI because BFI must have a full time jobs there. So we'll see how it goes but will update it in meantime. Right now we're all hanging in there and see how it goes. Right now I've been hearing that BFI is full of a mess because none of part timers were trained right and flight goes out late and everything. Union will fight to let the good guys like us full time to do the job and getting it done. I'll keep you updated when I hears more.

drewed

Shankman
I dont mean to sound uncaring, because i do sympathize for your situation. But all you guys say BFI MUST have fters, where does it say they must? if UPS wanted to the could have made all their FT jobs at Worldport, Cache, Philly, and Jacksonville where in terms of volume they push out more in a day then BFI will do in a year. BFI has never been known for its operating excellence, theres one flight a day (I believe it goes to 2 during peak) it could be that those 15 jobs were needed somewhere else, UPS is in charge of its operation, it can do whatever it wants, including eliminating jobs, they just have to let the union know first (in this case they were in the wrong bc they didnt) but even then theres nothing to stop from going through the procedure and doing this again.

I though panel was just that, a panel of UPS and Teamster reps that debate and vote on the subject? no judge involved

then if panel deadlocks they can go to arbitration, which still wouldnt be a judge but legally binding agreement?

tieguy

Banned
Yes, that is correct. All article 22.3 states that full timers cannot be layoff or cut back to part time. This is what union stated that last week at the Union meeting. Right now all we can do is wait till judge decides in September and hopefully to get us back where we as 15 of us who got cut must be belongs back in that full time jobs for BFI. This is why night sort is currently open and it will stayed open from what I heard today. I cannot believe how the managements likes to play the game that actually thinks can do that without talking to union about it. That's very wrong huh?

your rambling a little bit. If an entire sort is being shut down at BFI then that would eliminate the jobs being domiciled there.

Could or are those jobs being moved to the closest hub.

Is your union pushing for you folks to be able to follow to the closest building?

Your union does not honestly think they will get UPS to reopen a sort they are closing do you?

I'mTheMan

Well as it stands now that 15 more full timers will be moved to part time and will end up as just like me in 2 weeks. I've been part time from full time for 3 weeks now and we're all hanging in there. On September 2nd, the local union and UPS will discuss the situation with it's grievances and union wants to work out a solutions because night sort is going to be staying open from what I heard. UPS is in plans putting new part time hires and regular part time into the night sort. There will be no full time at BFI but the Union itself want to work on it and fix the solutions because UPS failed to notify the union 45 days notice of chance of operations for BFI. Thats why they're asking that 30 BFI full timers must be remained there at BFI. Thats why UPS failed to relocate the full timers elsewhere by sending it back to part time instead of full time. So all of this, the management wants cheap paying to part timers and save money for management's. The union believed that the company is playing game and ignoring such contracts and knows that there's nothing wrong with UPS's money and it's been making profits very very well!! So we'll see what happens after September 2nd and if it's doesn't work out, then will go to September 15th on it's first Panel to discuss this. I'll have more posted later as soon I find anything more from the union hall or my co-workers from work.

drewed

Shankman
Well as it stands now that 15 more full timers will be moved to part time and will end up as just like me in 2 weeks. I've been part time from full time for 3 weeks now and we're all hanging in there. On September 2nd, the local union and UPS will discuss the situation with it's grievances and union wants to work out a solutions because night sort is going to be staying open from what I heard. UPS is in plans putting new part time hires and regular part time into the night sort. There will be no full time at BFI but the Union itself want to work on it and fix the solutions because UPS failed to notify the union 45 days notice of chance of operations for BFI. Thats why they're asking that 30 BFI full timers must be remained there at BFI. Thats why UPS failed to relocate the full timers elsewhere by sending it back to part time instead of full time. So all of this, the management wants cheap paying to part timers and save money for management's. The union believed that the company is playing game and ignoring such contracts and knows that there's nothing wrong with UPS's money and it's been making profits very very well!! So we'll see what happens after September 2nd and if it's doesn't work out, then will go to September 15th on it's first Panel to discuss this. I'll have more posted later as soon I find anything more from the union hall or my co-workers from work.

Wow i didnt know you had that there was that many 22.3s there, that is a few too many to have at an operation the size of bfi, as this point i think youre really grasping at straws, the only thing you may get is a very few ft positions (maybe 5) and back pay for the lack of notice.

so your 21 days in, so that means you have 24 right?

I'mTheMan

I think so. See, I got last minute notice cut on Friday Aug 1st. So I'm in 3 weeks now as going 4 weeks as well. Don't know how long this is going to last for me but hoping close to peak or they might be considering till 2 years till full time job would be happening. I dunno but union may have a weaker case to get our job back sooner.