2012 Pay band.......

Black_6_Leader

And for some, there will be salary rollbacks too.

Now hold on to yer britches for the real fun and games; I'm told that there was another significant change to the compensation of UPS's most Senior Managers ~ that's right, the Management Committee.

What Im hearing is that there was another significant adjustment to their compensation (upward) in 2011 that we should be able to see once UPS files their SEC form 14A (Other definitive proxy statements) for 2011 later this month.

So needless to say, I check the SEC website daily EDGAR Search Results

That would help explain why so many Management Committee members stayed past their 55 birthday in 2011. There is a nice snapshot here of who is who United Parcel Service Inc (UPS) People | Reuters.com

Mapp

Choo Choo
40 percent of my management team will not be eligibale for increases because they are reportedly too far above the mean - I try to motiviate my people - but with a crap MIP and no raise - I have no organizational support in doing so....My battle has gone from KEEPING them highly motivated to attempting to thrawt their deep sarcasm, desire to leave ASAP daily and constantly live in the realm of "it is what it is"....I need some help from the organization - I can not be an apologist for them minute by minute. NOt sure I can keep fighting the fight for UPS - All I have in my bag now is " do it or your not going to have a job" - if I resorted to that I would be running a center solo very soon at this point. --- HELP!!

This is why I've decided not to go fulltime management. If I'm going to work 12-13 hours a day I may as well work for a bank or the state government and stay part time mgmt with UPS. I"ll make more, work the same amount of hours, and won't have an hour to hour and a half commute everday because UPS decides to move you every several years. Plus two pensions, double healthcare and most importantly a better work environment.

Hell, some county gov't positions work 37.5 hours a week and pay more than some full time ops supervisors make.

How can UPS not even give a raise to cover inflation its ridiculous.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
40 percent of my management team will not be eligibale for increases because they are reportedly too far above the mean - I try to motiviate my people - but with a crap MIP and no raise - I have no organizational support in doing so....My battle has gone from KEEPING them highly motivated to attempting to thrawt their deep sarcasm, desire to leave ASAP daily and constantly live in the realm of "it is what it is"....I need some help from the organization - I can not be an apologist for them minute by minute. NOt sure I can keep fighting the fight for UPS - All I have in my bag now is " do it or your not going to have a job" - if I resorted to that I would be running a center solo very soon at this point. --- HELP!!

Its not just a job....wait, it is just... a job... now. Its going to be a little easier around the center in the comming weeks for some employees.

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
I'm shocked that everyone's not getting a raise out of it (not). More to come, I'm sure. All sold with a positive spin and glimmer of hope. Reality is EPS trumps people, especially when the people calling the shots have a boatload of shares.

This is a travesty. It was rolled out in a very evasive and sneaky way. The company had record profits and they are denying a good portion of their management team raises. If you are rated significant improvement needed you will get no salary increase. When the PPH goals and everything else go up each year, year after year, who is not eligible to be called significant improvement needed. The QPR rating system is a farce and I see class action suits on the horizon. Significant improvement is needed with the stock price that is $4 above what it was in 1999. Will SD and the Management Committee sacrifice their raises? Is moving the stock price not their sole job?

Last edited:
It is just a job. They have made it that way. Any supervisors that work more the ungodly hours that they do moving forward are crazy. Loyalty goes both ways.

pretzel_man

Are you sure about this???

MIS just opened up a few days ago.

Nationwide less than 5% of people are over the new max.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not a fan of the new process.

But I am a fan of accuracy. I'm positive that the 40% number is not representatvie)

Karma...

And for some, there will be salary rollbacks too.

Now hold on to yer britches for the real fun and games; I'm told that there was another significant change to the compensation of UPS's most Senior Managers ~ that's right, the Management Committee.

What Im hearing is that there was another significant adjustment to their compensation (upward) in 2011 that we should be able to see once UPS files their SEC form 14A (Other definitive proxy statements) for 2011 later this month.

So needless to say, I check the SEC website daily EDGAR Search Results

That would help explain why so many Management Committee members stayed past their 55 birthday in 2011. There is a nice snapshot here of who is who United Parcel Service Inc (UPS) People | Reuters.com
Those options are going to come in lucrative pretty soon. So thats where the excess money is going to since the mip formula was changed ! seems like the non-option management are underwriting the options management.....so whats the new definition of being a partner ?

Mick32

But I am a fan of accuracy. I'm positive that the 40% number is not representatvie)

I can only talk about my building, but 6 out of the 16 package sups have been told they will get no raise because of the new system. I guess that's only like 37%.

sosocal

Five of 13 people - 2 of them had taken steps down from higher grade levels (mgr to sup) - and two are part timers that were top- end hourly indisers when they went PT sup. The third is a PT sup that has been one forever. I guess full disclosure accuracy means 38.46. And I sat with each of these employees last week to deliver the news and rationale.

pretzel_man

Five of 13 people - 2 of them had taken steps down from higher grade levels (mgr to sup) - and two are part timers that were top- end hourly indisers when they went PT sup. The third is a PT sup that has been one forever. I guess full disclosure accuracy means 38.46. And I sat with each of these employees last week to deliver the news and rationale.

Which pay band and reference zone are you talking about??

Nationwide, less than 5% are over the maximum. I think its closer to 2% but I can't find the exact statistic.

I understand why anyone would be upset about not getting a raise. But it seems reasonable in the case of a manager who takes a step down to a supervisor job.

What is the comp ratio for these people?

pretzel_man

I can only talk about my building, but 6 out of the 16 package sups have been told they will get no raise because of the new system. I guess that's only like 37%.

They cannot be on road supervisors, right? On road supervisors are graded very high.

On the other hand, PDS's are graded too low in my opinion.

sosocal

Which pay band and reference zone are you talking about??

Nationwide, less than 5% are over the maximum. I think its closer to 2% but I can't find the exact statistic.

I understand why anyone would be upset about not getting a raise. But it seems reasonable in the case of a manager who takes a step down to a supervisor job.

What is the comp ratio for these people?

From what I am seeing and hearing the 5% statistic sounds low - I will admit my management group is unique in tenure and circumstance...I don't recall all of the exact band structure for all my people (may not have been told them all) but I recall one was 134 percent of midpoint and another was just under that. When getting the info I was more concerned about the news than the specific details. It came out of left field and was not expected...I have a lot of manager friends that very upset they were not told this information before they finalized QPRs. They say they are very hard with QPRs for their own purposes using constructive dissatisfaction as a tool and guiding priniple- but feel their people are every bit as worthy of a raise as employees many other managers call "fully acceptable"...THe system is WAY too arbitrary and rater conditional to tie raises to it in the manner prescribed - Had I known exactly how the raise structure would be applied it would have affected the rating of my people as well - I would have used a baseline of the UPS management universe more predominently as opposed to my expectation geared intuitively to an ordinal ranking among those in my specific group. WE are a strong performing center - so the average score SHOULD be higher than the mean.

Mick32

They cannot be on road supervisors, right? On road supervisors are graded very high.

On the other hand, PDS's are graded too low in my opinion.

On roads haven't had our reviews yet. All the people who have gone have included PDSs and Preload supervisors.

Last edited by a moderator:

beentheredonethat

Here's a classic one I just heard. A few months ago a FT Preload Supv quit. The center had two FT OR supvs. One had a lot of experience and time with UPS and had done PL in the past. The other had never done PL. So, in typical UPS fashion, the Div Mgr\Ctr Mgr took the easy way out and placed the experienced OR supv who had PL experience on the PL. The younger supv who had never done PL stayed as an onroad. Now.. due to the changes, the current more experienced PL supv is not getting a raise, since his pay rate for his job classification code is above the max.

beentheredonethat

Here's another classic one. We asked our div mgr what we were going to be graded since we didn't find it anywhere. As of Friday, Corporate hasn't decided where our jobs fall in the pay band. I figure there's only two reasons for this.
1. The VP in our group is lame and hasn't worked with HR to determine the appropriate pay bands for our descriptions.
Or More likely
2. They realized that the job bands our group should be in qualifies us for more pay then the majority are getting.

The reason I say this, is UPS went to external groups and gave them the job descriptions and said "What do other companies pay for this job classification?" I think for the group I'm in, the competitive pay on the outside is higher then what UPS pays.

I'm not saying what my job title is, since there aren't that many people in my department within UPS, and I want to limit what big brother can deduce as to who I am.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
They realized that the job bands for our group would qualify us for more pay then the majority are getting.

I heard the same thing about our entire group last year and when someone brought up the topic on bands, we were told that we were not being included in the "Pay Band" structure last year and then again this year.
Sounds plausible ... of course, it could be the reverse.

The numbers I am hearing is about 40% not receiving an increase. The system is bad enough, but the way they back-doored the management team is inexcusable.