2012 Summer Olympics

moreluck

golden ticket member
I was being sarcastic during the last sentence. I was serious during the first two sentences.

As for that parachute drop being priceless, I am sure there was a price tag associated with that stunt. I wonder who is picking up the tab.

I read where the olympics are already 105% over budget.....maybe they have Obama's bookkeepers.

texan

Huh?
London 2012 Olympics: Empty seats on the opening day prompts investigation

An investigation has been launched by the London 2012 organisers Locog after
large numbers of empty seats were evident in multiple sporting venues on the
opening day of the Games.

Despite tickets for the events being sold out, television images revealed scores of
empty seats at the swimming, dressage, volleyball and tennis.
Commentators noted
the unfilled seats and members of the public who were unable to purchase tickets
took to social media websites like Twitter to express their anger.

A spokesperson for Locog said: “We are aware that some venues have empty seats
this morning. We believe the empty seats are in accredited seating areas, and we are
in the process of finding out who should have been in the seats and why they
weren’t there.”

It comes after Locog faced criticism for the number of seats being given to corporate
sponsors, Olympic officials and VIP guests.
swimming_2291548b.jpg

London 2012 Olympics: Empty seats on the opening day prompts investigation - Telegraph

Just turned on NBC, Womens soccer USA vs Columbia.

A lot of seats are empty again? I thought the Brits live for soccer.

texan

US women win against Croatia. It was a minor scare for a while, but our women
rallied. Croatia did very well. 4th period sealed it for us. USA 81 Croatia 56.
oly_g_usa-croatia-28a_mb_576.jpg

texan

Phelps in 400m Individual Medley final

Phelps, the defending champion, was eighth fastest into tonight's final, edging out Beijing silver
medallist Laszlo Cseh in a major surprise.

Beijing 2008 champion Park Tae Hwan was disqualified in the 400m Freestyle but later appealed, while
world record holder Paul Biedermann failed to make it through.
Phelps and Cseh were alongside each other in the fourth heat but their apparent game of cat and mouse
almost proved costly for both.

Phelps touched in 4:13.33, just 0.07 ahead of the Hungarian who won silver behind him three
times
in Beijing.

http://www.london2012.com/news/articles/phelps-400m-individual-medley-final.html

texan

First Olympic gold medal awarded to Chinese shooter

Eleven hours after the queen officially opened the Games of the XXX Olympiad and seven British youngsters
lit the Olympic cauldron, the first gold medal of the Games was awarded.
China's Yi Siling was victorious in the women's 10-meter air rifle shooting, an event which began before noon
Saturday in London.

First Olympic gold medal awarded to Chinese shooter | Fourth-Place Medal - Yahoo! Sports

texan

Disaster! Michael Phelps fails to medal in 400 IM, Ryan Lochte wins gold

The London Olympics got off to a disastrous start for Michael Phelps, as the 14-time gold medalist finished
off the podium in the 400 IM, the event he had won at the past two Summer Games. It was Phelps' first
Olympic loss in eight years. The last time he failed to medal was in his debut as a 15-year-old in Sydney.

AP653047993481.jpg

texan

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Disaster! Michael Phelps fails to medal in 400 IM, Ryan Lochte wins gold

The London Olympics got off to a disastrous start for Michael Phelps, as the 14-time gold medalist finished
off the podium in the 400 IM, the event he had won at the past two Summer Games. It was Phelps' first
Olympic loss in eight years. The last time he failed to medal was in his debut as a 15-year-old in Sydney.

AP653047993481.jpg

Phelps got completely smoked. I wasn't rooting for him cuz honestly I'm a little tired of him, but it was pretty unexpected for him to get beat like that. I figured he and Lochte would go 1-2 and the only question was in which order.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Phelps got completely smoked. I wasn't rooting for him cuz honestly I'm a little tired of him, but it was pretty unexpected for him to get beat like that. I figured he and Lochte would go 1-2 and the only question was in which order.
He needs another bong hit!!

texan

London 2012: Rowan Atkinson's brother criticises 'Left-wing' opening ceremony

London Olympics opening ceremony, which starred Rowan Atkinson, was a vivid
illustration of the 'parochial Left', according to his brother.

Rowan Atkinson's amusing turn was one of the highlights of the Olympics opening
ceremony, but his brother, Rodney, is not impressed with Danny Boyle’s production.
“It had strong strands of the parochial Left,” claims Atkinson, who was annoyed by
the ceremony’s “assumption that the industrial revolution was oppressive”.

The academic adds: “Obviously, the pseudo-intellectual Left have never worked
on a farm, as Rowan and I did when we were young. The Left never understand
internationalism and the wealth which arises from free trade among free peoples
and cultures. That is Britain’s greatest achievement.

"Their aim is supra-national, where peoples and cultures are subsumed, as they were
in this ceremony, into a 'levelling’ Statist mish-mash, which inevitably leads to failure and conflict.”

London 2012: Rowan Atkinson's brother criticises 'Left-wing' opening ceremony - Telegraph

texan

U.S. swimmer Ryan Lochte flashes his U.S. flag grill and the gold medal he won in the
men's 400-meter individual medley.
120728092700-day-one-100-horizontal-gallery.jpg

texan

Brooklyn native Lia Neal helps United States 4x100 freestyle relay swim team win bronze medal.

Lia Neal, the 17-year-old swimmer from the Flatbush section of Brooklyn, helped
the United States claim bronze in the 4x100 freestyle relay Saturday night as she
swam the third leg in 53.65 seconds.

Brooklyn's Lia Neal (second from r.) shows off her bronze medal with 4x100 teammates
Missy Franklin (l.), Jessica Hardy and Allison Schmitt (r.) on the podium.
lia-neal-usa-swimming.jpg

Read more: Brooklyn native Lia Neal helps United States 4x100 freestyle relay swim team win bronze medal - NY Daily News

texan

London, England – Kimberly Rhode became the first American to win a medal at five straight
Olympics,
taking gold in the women's skeet shooting competition at the London Games.

The 33-year-old Rhode competed in the double trap event at the 1996, 2000 and 2004 Summer
Games, winning two golds and a bronze at those Olympics before taking silver in the skeet
competition four years ago in Beijing

Read more: Olympic Daily News - Sunday, July 29 | Fox News

texan

U.S. drains 3s to pull away
LONDON -- Hardly dreamy, still dominant.
Kevin Durant scored 22 points, LeBron James added eight assists and the U.S. Olympic men's
basketball team opened tournament play with a rough-and-ragged 98-71 win over France on Sunday.

Seeking a second straight gold medal to match the one they won in Beijing four years ago, the Americans
expected a tough test from a French team featuring San Antonio guard Tony Parkerr and
five other NBA players.

[+] Enlarge Jesse D. Garrabrant/NBAE/Getty ImagesKevin Durant led Team USA with 22 points Sunday during a rough-and-ragged win over France.

The U.S. was never in real trouble, and after overcoming some major foul issues and sloppy play, the
superstar-laden squad finally put France away in the second half.

2012 Summer Olympics -- Kevin Durant, U.S. drain 3s to pull away from France - ESPN

ooky

frozen canuck
What are your favourite Olympic events? Here is a list of mine:
Gymnastics, especially the men's floor exercise, the speed and power are amazing!
Rowing, diving, bicycle track racing, soccer, weight lifting, pole vaulting, hurdles.
There are 11 stations here airing different events at the same time; it's channel surfing heaven!

texan

What are your favourite Olympic events? Here is a list of mine:
Gymnastics, especially the men's floor exercise, the speed and power are amazing!
Rowing, diving, bicycle track racing, soccer, weight lifting, pole vaulting, hurdles.
There are 11 stations here airing different events at the same time; it's channel surfing heaven!

Boxing, weightlifting, and Track and Field.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Track, Swimming, Gymnastics, everything else.
Track kicks off Friday with the Women's 10k final, then I'm off next week so I'll be able to catch most of it.

texan

London – Missy Franklin stared out on the horde of reporters, suddenly sounding very much like a
high school senior-to-be. "I don't like being up here alone," she said nervously.

Then, just like that, she turned on a big smile and worked the room like a pro.

Thanks to this Colorado teenager, America's swim hopes are back on track at the Olympics.
Michael Phelps has yet to win a gold medal, and Ryan Lochte's star has dimmed just a bit.

So it was Franklin providing a much-needed boost to swimming's powerhouse nation, coming
back less than 14 minutes after swimming a semifinal heat to win the first gold medal of what
figures to be a dazzling career.

London20Olympics20Swimm_Lync1.jpg

Read more: Lochte falters again, but Franklin grabs first gold | Fox News